don't click here

Fan Game Sonic: Codename BACKSTREET

DTheHedgehog

making a sonic game where you run around a city
Aug 25, 2018

Well, to be formal- I'm D The Hedgehog. I'm very active in a lot of places. If you remember Sonic Adventure 2 Title Prompts, I'm the guy who runs it. Since August of 2018, I've been working with Bumper Engine to create a fangame that breaks rules and boundaries of what the main fanbase seems to be out for blood over. The game is currently under the codename 'Backstreet', but already has a final name(it starts with a U). Friends of mine have helped with scripts, custom models, and I'm even getting original voice acting to undertake so the game feels fresher, much more diverse than what we've been used to. The aim of my fangame is not to make people fight, but to humble them or bring them together, given the rougher Tony Hawk inspired aesthetic.

I want it to have total freedom, which is why there is no story or true unlockables in sight. The reason why this game is rough, to put it lightly; is because, I'm making this game for me and those interested in it- but also so I can try and get a job, adding this to my portfolio to be known for. Development is slow- I aim to work on it a little bit at a time each and every day while giving the players the content that is directly being shown.

In the Official Bumper Engine server(made and ran by yours truly), I've posted numerous logs of progress and it's come a long way, all things considering. In the end, I don't care too much if people trash it or don't even bother to play it- I'm doing this because I want to give myself something to do while I spend endless hours in front of a laptop, trying not to let the depression of unemployment/being out of education get to me. I hope you'll stick around for the ride- and keep messing around in those streets.

So, the time has finally come for me to reveal what I've been teasing and such all around- I've been working on trying to make a Sonic The Hedgehog fangame since I got nothing better to do with my time. EARLY DEMO DOWNLOAD LINK[PC]: (here)

NOTE: This is pretty much a 'walking simulator' as of now, but this demo is for public feedback purposes. What I've stated in the trailer is NOT present, but what I plan to envision for this project as development goes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My aim with this is to try and challenge the rather distressing opinions that have currently been going around in the general Sonic fandom; after what reception was taken from Forces and Mania(which only further factioned the fans instead of bringing them together), causing a fair chunk to think that they're superior to SEGA or Sonic Team. Instead, I'm aiming to break away from what fundamentals make a good Sonic game in their eyes and try to show them wrong.

Now I know- this trailer probably looks crappy, and you're right for thinking that. This game is being made in Unity through SuperSonic68's Bumper Engine, which is fine but can be limiting at times- as well as the fact that the game might be rather rough around the edges due to my abilities(it's my first time trying something out of this calibre.) I hope that this appeals to someone out there- I'm not asking for much. Till then, you can follow the twitter page for developments by clicking here!

And why not click here to join the official Bumper Engine server, a place where you can share your development of projects you're working on?

Hope you enjoy what I've been working on for the past two months, and if you have any interest, feel free to share it.

Last edited:

SlumberGlss

Nintender? Who's that?
Aug 29, 2017
This looks decent, have to admit. The trailer gives me an mid 2000s Tony Hawk "American Wasteland" vibe though, lol. Usually open world sonic games don't go so well, but this one does look promising. Hope it goes well, i'm keeping my eye on this one!

DTheHedgehog

Aug 25, 2018
This looks decent, have to admit. The trailer gives me an mid 2000s Tony Hawk "American Wasteland" vibe though, lol. Usually open world sonic games don't go so well, but this one does look promising. Hope it goes well, i'm keeping my eye on this one!
Good eye! This project was spurred on by a Tony Hawk hyperfixation after I realised there were more games in the series beyond Pro Skater 3. Underground and American Wasteland's aesthetics really resonate with me!

RetroRespecter

Green Hill Zone
Sep 8, 2017
It's an amazing start. Keep up the good work. By the way, are there going to be separate stories? I sense a Sonic Adventure vibe going on with this.

Prancer

some guy
Jan 29, 2018
somewhere
Nintender 's right, this does have a Tony Hawk's Pro Skater vibe to it. Me and my cousin would've been all over this if we saw this as a released game for the PS2, back when we had one. I can't wait to see what this project becomes.

PVic

Marble Zone
Aug 29, 2017
Rio Grande Do Sul, Brazil
github.com
I have a question, is the game going to be *entirely* in the city? I don't have a problem with that, but I'd like to see some more variation.

For example, having a underground toxic sewer, have a few rural areas with farms / have a countryside, amusement parks, etc.

Well, I wish a lot of luck to you, not only is the project looking good so far but the concepts are very interesting (reminds me of a one of my childhood dreams, I always wanted a game with like GTA san andreas's map but having sonic control like his adventure counterpart.).

DTheHedgehog

Aug 25, 2018
I have a question, is the game going to be *entirely* in the city? I don't have a problem with that, but I'd like to see some more variation.

For example, having a underground toxic sewer, have a few rural areas with farms / have a countryside, amusement parks, etc.

Well, I wish a lot of luck to you, not only is the project looking good so far but the concepts are very interesting (reminds me of a one of my childhood dreams, I always wanted a game with like GTA san andreas's map but having sonic control like his adventure counterpart.).
Glad you asked. Surprisingly, you're correct- This is one of FIVE areas I have planned- one of which taking place in an industrial park, another taking place in a normal park, a residential area and one that's still let to be decided! Next week, a build will arrive at Hedge Camp which aims to fix some issues brought up in the first build's demo. Glad you and other people like it so much.

DTheHedgehog

Aug 25, 2018
It's an amazing start. Keep up the good work. By the way, are there going to be separate stories? I sense a Sonic Adventure vibe going on with this.
This is actually going against having any sort of story, meaning it's interpretable if you want it to be. Thank you!

DTheHedgehog

Aug 25, 2018
Nintender 's right, this does have a Tony Hawk's Pro Skater vibe to it. Me and my cousin would've been all over this if we saw this as a released game for the PS2, back when we had one. I can't wait to see what this project becomes.
I hope you'll be keeping an eye on this thread as I release newer builds over time(if i find said time)!

BlueSpeedster

Eternal Mystery…
Oct 16, 2017
Dunno if D is going to be glad about this but, since it wasn't posted here...:

Enjoy this late update!

eMorph

Stuck in Marble Zone Act 3
Dec 5, 2019
Wierd idea, but: maybe you could stitch all the stages into one big stage-world, and use missions in place of levels?