don't click here

Fan Game Sonic 3 A.I.R.

francis247uk

Green Hill Zone
Aug 9, 2018
UK
Been keeping an eye out for this!

New menus and options are great, Angel Island is great, Sandopolis is great (level 2 as frustrating as ever!)

Definitely approve of the small improvements such as the bombs on Angel Island and the fast moving brick push on Sandopolis.

Manual in the install file is great, nice extra touch - it all works 100% fine for me.

If you haven't got a preference for what stages to work on next, would be interested to see the Slot Machine bonus stage, and Hidden Palace/Sky Sanctuary...

On the interface side, will be interested to see your take on the full screen main menu from S3&K and/or the S&K main menu (adapted, as an option perhaps)

Thanks for continuing to work on this - once complete, will be the best way to play S3&K on a modern TV that I know of!!!

G Spindash

Green Hill Zone
Sep 3, 2018
Scotland
linktr.ee
Still a work in progress, but here's the first music mod pack for the remastered soundtrack. Covering all tracks in the current demo.

A few of them (Ice Cap, S3 Miniboss) may seem a bit on the loud side, but this was also the case on the original hardware, I'll probably reduce them further down the line along with a bit of dynamics processing on the soundtrack as a whole.

I'm also keen to replace the PSG hi-hats at some point, they sound a little rough next to the cleaner kick/snare DAC samples, probably the very reason they were replaced in the Sonic 1 & 2 remasters.

Just put the "audio" folder from the download into the "data" folder of your Sonic 3 AIR installation.

Any feedback or suggestions very much appreciated.

***Update*** Latest version (01/24/2019) available here: https://mega.nz/#!bOoFAQIB!MeBY0hb5X0hYQMnTG3lw_W8A2OsWQ1isXP3_bXhGrA4

Last edited:

Eukaryot

Heading for Angel Island
May 1, 2018
OH NO!
Yeah, this is one of the bugs that seem to happen quite rarely, so I was not able to fix it by now. The screenshot maybe gave me a hint, thank you for posting!

Edit: The screenshot helped, bug found and fixed for the next demo :)

Last edited:
Reactions: that 1 noob

The Porkinator

Green Hill Zone
Oct 6, 2018
Still a work in progress, but here's the first music mod pack for the remastered soundtrack. Covering all tracks in the current demo.

This sounds pretty good. One criticism is that (I think) the drum sounds a little weak in angel island act 1; it doesn't sound like it's hitting as hard when it should.

Twins'R'Awesome

Green Hill Zone
Aug 23, 2018
Okay, now that I've played through it a few times, It's becoming more and more worth it to play through thanks to the improvements. Now, for the questions...

1. Launch Base Zone.
Will you be able to implement the Sonic 3 layout as opposed to the S&K layout (maybe switch between the two in options?)
BIG ARMS NEEDS TO RETURN (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (or at the very least needs to be an option lmao)
Will there be an extra cutscene welding S3 and S&K together a la S3COMPLETE?
2. Knuckles Paths
Option to allow you to explore Knuckles' Paths as Sonic and Tails
3. SHC2018
Since the deadline to enter the Sonic Hacking Contest 2018 is ~2 weeks away, will you be entering, since this fangame meets the criteria of being based off of a previously existing official Sonic game (and that it even uses the original ROM).

Reactions: zinnosinno

Eukaryot

Heading for Angel Island
May 1, 2018
First of all, before answering the questions, I'd like to tell you guys about a small bugfix update just finished.
You can get it at the usual download link:
http://85.214.142.96/sonic3air_demo.zip

Here's the noteworthy changes compared to the former version from two weeks ago:

Graphics
- Fix for sprite masking (e.g. in the SOZ 1 boss, some parts were visible under the ground though they were not meant to be)
- Fix for broken ghosts visualization in Time Attack
- Fix for some issues when using the software renderer

Gameplay
- Fix for an issue that caused Tails often not being able to catch Sonic shortly after starting Tails Assist
- Pressing Up + Jump now prevents mid-jump action (especially the fire shield) when using Tails Assist
- Sonic does not hang on to AI Tails any more when he's just standing and tired Tails comes down again
- HCZ piranhas (Mega Choppers) can now be shaken off as in the original game

Camera
- Fix for screen not locking after MHZ 2 Boss
- Fix for a screen lock issue that could happen after SOZ 2 Boss, leading the game being stuck
- Fix for camera movement when returning to ICZ 2 last checkpoint after bonus stage

Eukaryot

Heading for Angel Island
May 1, 2018
Okay, now that I've played through it a few times, It's becoming more and more worth it to play through thanks to the improvements. Now, for the questions...

1. Launch Base Zone.
Will you be able to implement the Sonic 3 layout as opposed to the S&K layout (maybe switch between the two in options?)
BIG ARMS NEEDS TO RETURN (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (or at the very least needs to be an option lmao)
Will there be an extra cutscene welding S3 and S&K together a la S3COMPLETE?
2. Knuckles Paths
Option to allow you to explore Knuckles' Paths as Sonic and Tails
3. SHC2018
Since the deadline to enter the Sonic Hacking Contest 2018 is ~2 weeks away, will you be entering, since this fangame meets the criteria of being based off of a previously existing official Sonic game (and that it even uses the original ROM).
1. Launch Base Zone
- The Sonic 3 layouts (for Hydrocity as well) are going to be added as an option
- Same for Sonic's / Tails' fight against Big Arms
- But the extra cutscene... I'd say it will probably not get included

2. Knuckles Paths
We first need a good explanation for why Sonic and Tails are suddenly strong enough to break the walls. ;)
Could be a Super Sonic thing maybe?

3. SHC2018
I'm still not sure whether to enter the contest, or maybe participate in the expo instead...

Reactions: that 1 noob

Modern

what tu hecc is modern!1!1!1
Aug 10, 2018
Been following this for a while, loving the changes and fixes you’re adding to the game.

I’m aware adding S3C features is not high on your priority list and I imagine you already get a ton of “ERM, ERM, CAHN U ADDD DIS TING FRAM 3COMPLEET? :P” requests, but I am curious if you will add the unique titlecards for each zone. I did always find it odd that the icon is a palmtree even though only Angel Island actually has any palmtrees in it. Other than that, I’m pretty content with what we’ve got so far, this might incentivise me to go out and purchase Sonic3K on steam so I can give this a go.

G Spindash

Green Hill Zone
Sep 3, 2018
Scotland
linktr.ee
This sounds pretty good. One criticism is that (I think) the drum sounds a little weak in angel island act 1; it doesn't sound like it's hitting as hard when it should.
Cheers for the feedback! Yeah, I'm going to increase the volume of the drums (the sampled ones) across the board for the next update, the distorted versions in the original do seem to come across a little louder. I noticed when testing, especially going from Ice Cap 1 into the S&K mini boss theme, the new version seems a little on the quiet side.

Eukaryot

Heading for Angel Island
May 1, 2018
Been following this for a while, loving the changes and fixes you’re adding to the game.

I’m aware adding S3C features is not high on your priority list and I imagine you already get a ton of “ERM, ERM, CAHN U ADDD DIS TING FRAM 3COMPLEET? :P” requests, but I am curious if you will add the unique titlecards for each zone. I did always find it odd that the icon is a palmtree even though only Angel Island actually has any palmtrees in it. Other than that, I’m pretty content with what we’ve got so far, this might incentivise me to go out and purchase Sonic3K on steam so I can give this a go.
Ahh, the title card icons, that's a neat little detail in S3C. It's possible that I'll add something similar later on - though that means creating new ones, won't be stealing those from S3C.

zinnosinno

Green Hill Zone
Oct 12, 2018

A few of them (Ice Cap, S3 Miniboss) may seem a bit on the loud side, but this was also the case on the original hardware, I'll probably reduce them further down the line along with a bit of dynamics processing on the soundtrack as a whole.

I'm also keen to replace the PSG hi-hats at some point, they sound a little rough next to the cleaner kick/snare DAC samples, probably the very reason they were replaced in the Sonic 1 & 2 remasters.

Just put the "audio" folder from the download into the "data" folder of your Sonic 3 AIR installation.

Thanks for this addon, its really nice! I used audio_replacements.json to change the jump sound to the Sonic CD jump sound because I prefer it (Dont ask why lol). And sampled hi-hats would be nice too. Keep it up ^w^

Reactions: G Spindash

Rivison

Green Hill Zone
Oct 6, 2018
Hey so I tried this out and it was working great but I recently downloaded the latest version and now all the inputs are really unresponsive. It works perfectly fine on the menu but once in game I need to press each button a few times before it does anything. I've tried with a controller and keyboard and I get the same result. Just wondering if you can help me resolve this or if it's a known issue.

Keep up the good work though because I was really enjoying this while it was working and I can't wait to see it finished.

Eukaryot

Heading for Angel Island
May 1, 2018
Hey so I tried this out and it was working great but I recently downloaded the latest version and now all the inputs are really unresponsive. It works perfectly fine on the menu but once in game I need to press each button a few times before it does anything. I've tried with a controller and keyboard and I get the same result. Just wondering if you can help me resolve this or if it's a known issue.

Keep up the good work though because I was really enjoying this while it was working and I can't wait to see it finished.
Oh, that is a really bad bug indeed. I wasn't aware of it before, as it does not appear with my computer's setup (V-sync on at 60 Hz monitor framerate).
Thank you for the bug report!
Could you please give this patch a try? I think it should fix the issue now:
http://85.214.142.96/sonic3air_demo_patch.zip

Reactions: Rivison

Modern

what tu hecc is modern!1!1!1
Aug 10, 2018
Ahh, the title card icons, that's a neat little detail in S3C. It's possible that I'll add something similar later on - though that means creating new ones, won't be stealing those from S3C.
Are they against people using their sprites in other projects? Maybe if you dropped them a pm they could work something out. Regardless, I’m very much content that we’ll be getting the unique titlecards. What zone are you planning on doing next?