don't click here

Fan Game Sonic 3 A.I.R.

that dude

Press Start Screen
Jan 19, 2019
Found a bug when playing with tails. when you finish an act and dont land on the ground to let sonic do his pose tails just goes in the direction he was last facing and doesnt stop until you touch the ground.

DynamicFlight

Green Hill Zone
Jan 27, 2019
Hey, I was wondering if there was any way for me to help you out with this project, it seems really cool and I'd love to be able to help speed things along.

Eukaryot

Heading for Angel Island
May 1, 2018
Hey, I was wondering if there was any way for me to help you out with this project, it seems really cool and I'd love to be able to help speed things along.
Sorry, no help needed here. It's always been a one-man-project and that won't change now - I mean, the project is already getting close to completion.

Eukaryot

Heading for Angel Island
May 1, 2018
Update on the project: Launch Base Zone is just completed.
launchbase02.png

That means, by now all of the Sonic 3 part of Sonic 3 & Knuckles is ported and playable!
And of course, the previously included Sonic & Knuckles zones (Mushroom Hill, Sandopolis, Lava Reef) are part of the game as well, so we are now at 9 full zones.

Download link: http://85.214.142.96/sonic3air_demo.zip
Have fun!

Mitko1239

Green Hill Zone
Jan 28, 2019
I'm not sure if this is related to Sonic 3 AIR specifically, but I found a bug with Big Arm. I was fighting him as Hyper Sonic and when he picked me up and threw me off the platform. I heard a water splash sound and then I came back to the platform but invisible and as if I was underwater and able to drown. The following is a video of recreating the bug since i wasn't recording when that happened (bug happens at around 2:30).

Eukaryot

Heading for Angel Island
May 1, 2018
Thanks for the video!
I had a look at the code here and found out... it was a dumb mistake made by me that most probably affects all super forms. Will be fixed with the next update!

bickman14

Green Hill Zone
Jan 28, 2019
Hi Eukaryot I've been following your project since October, congratz for the great work! And thanks for working so hard on the project! It's awesome to play Sonic 3&K with real widescreen support!
I was playing around with the demo and decided to try a different kind of scanlines shadder than the ones you've bundled with your demos. So I've tried using some configs with SweetFX and ReShade but had sucess only with ReShade, the standalone SweetFX didn't worked for me.
I've made a few tweakes from a config I've got from another guy from Shantae Steam forums years ago.

As I'm new here I would like to check if you're OK if I post a download link for these Reshade configs/files?
There's a few screenshots on the Spoilers below.

It might not look that awesome just with the screenshots but trust me, it looks way better in motion.

I know it kinda of breaks the point of having widescreen support and then adding a CRT Curvature Shader to the image, but sometimes it's cool to play like this too just for a nostalgia factor, so I've made one with the curvature and one without it.

I hope you find then cool too :)

EDIT: RESHADE Filters Download Links:

RESHADE Both Effects

RESHADE Scanlines Shader Only

RESHADE - Scanlines Shader + Curvature

Last edited:

Eukaryot

Heading for Angel Island
May 1, 2018
Hi Eukaryot I've been following your project since October, congratz for the great work! And thanks for working so hard on the project! It's awesome to play Sonic 3&K with real widescreen support!
I was playing around with the demo and decided to try a different kind of scanlines shadder than the ones you've bundled with your demos. So I've tried using some configs with SweetFX and ReShade but had sucess only with ReShade, the standalone SweetFX didn't worked for me.
I've made a few tweakes from a config I've got from another guy from Shantae Steam forums years ago.

As I'm new here I would like to check if you're OK if I post a download link for these Reshade configs/files?
There's a few screenshots on the Spoilers below.

It might not look that awesome just with the screenshots but trust me, it looks way better in motion.

I know it kinda of breaks the point of having widescreen support and then adding a CRT Curvature Shader to the image, but sometimes it's cool to play like this too just for a nostalgia factor, so I've made one with the curvature and one without it.

I hope you find then cool too :)
Let me know if you are OK and I'll upload the files and update my post to include the links!

Best Regards

Hey bickman14!

First of all, I have to admit, I'm personally not using a CRT filter or curvature effect when playing in emulators like the S3&K Steam version. Which should explain why S3AIR has none of the effects yet...

However, I do have the CRT filter on my to-do list already, and it's very likely it will get added in one of the next demos. After all, this effect gets requested quite regularly.

For the curvature effect, things are a bit different. This is actually the first time someone mentions it at all. :emoji_wink:
I can add it in, and would like to use your formulas on the bending calculations, as the effect is really well done!

Reactions: bickman14

bickman14

Green Hill Zone
Jan 28, 2019
Hey bickman14!

First of all, I have to admit, I'm personally not using a CRT filter or curvature effect when playing in emulators like the S3&K Steam version. Which should explain why S3AIR has none of the effects yet...

However, I do have the CRT filter on my to-do list already, and it's very likely it will get added in one of the next demos. After all, this effect gets requested quite regularly.

For the curvature effect, things are a bit different. This is actually the first time someone mentions it at all. :emoji_wink:
I can add it in, and would like to use your formulas on the bending calculations, as the effect is really well done!
That makes a whole lot of sense!
I've suspected you were not a fan of Scanlines when I noticed the lack of the effect but the presence of xBRZ lol.
I love to play with scanlines and other filters that try to mimic the image quality as close as I remember from playing on CRTs as a kid.
TBH I'm not quite savy with these shaders and configs, I've just collect a few configs posted by people all around, mixed, tested and tweaked until it got good enough for my nostalgia hahaha.

What made me a little sad was that as RESHADE applies itself as soon as the Sonic3AIR.exe starts running, it makes the Disclaimer text almost impossible to read :(
From my tests, the menu text and in game text looked OK, but not the Disclaimer.

I hope these shaders could help at least a little on your implementation of the effects :)
I'm looking forward the next demos :D

I've updated my first post to add download links for the shaders, if they go down, let me know and I'll reup, if I forget to check the messages here on the forum, give me a shout on any other media (Steam/Reddit/Discord/you named it if you find a bickman14 it's probably me lol).

Reactions: Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Heading for Angel Island
May 1, 2018
That makes a whole lot of sense!
I've suspected you were not a fan of Scanlines when I noticed the lack of the effect but the presence of xBRZ lol.
I love to play with scanlines and other filters that try to mimic the image quality as close as I remember from playing on CRTs as a kid.
TBH I'm not quite savy with these shaders and configs, I've just collect a few configs posted by people all around, mixed, tested and tweaked until it got good enough for my nostalgia hahaha.

What made me a little sad was that as RESHADE applies itself as soon as the Sonic3AIR.exe starts running, it makes the Disclaimer text almost impossible to read :(
From my tests, the menu text and in game text looked OK, but not the Disclaimer.

I hope these shaders could help at least a little on your implementation of the effects :)
I'm looking forward the next demos :D

I've updated my first post to add download links for the shaders, if they go down, let me know and I'll reup, if I forget to check the messages here on the forum, give me a shout on any other media (Steam/Reddit/Discord/you named it if you find a bickman14 it's probably me lol).
Nice work! So everyone who needs the real retro feeling, get bickman14's package.
It definitely offers more than S3AIR will in the foreseeable future (only implementing a rather simple scanlines effect for the next demo).

Regarding the disclaimer: This is the one instance of a screen that uses the full window resolution, so the wall of text is easier to read. But it's included for legal reasons only.
The rest of the game is 400x224 pixels, and I don't intend to change that for the game or any menu. So no problems to expect even with future S3AIR versions.

Last edited:

ranidaekeek

Press Start Screen
Nov 25, 2018
Eukaryot, the latest demo is simply splendid. I want to say thank you for doing this. You are giving a whole new life to a favorite of mine. No words are enough to thank you.

Reactions: Eukaryot

hellothere3212

Green Hill Zone
Feb 9, 2019
Where? Also thank you. Although the special stages work fine, just a bit of the moving sky just cuts in half

hellothere3212

Green Hill Zone
Feb 9, 2019
If you find a solution please screenshot or tell me how! It would be amazing if you find a solution. Also it's funny how Time Attack adds only 5 Sonic's/Tails's/Knuckles's, might that be the Multiplayer or Online Racing Mode? Can you please do it? Also i'm not forcing you to do it while that would be a alot of typing and hard coding, phew this was alot of typing

Last edited: