Menu

Welcome!

Sonic Fan Games HQ is the largest resource for Sonic the Hedgehog fan gaming on the web and home to SAGE, the annual Sonic Amatuer Games Expo! We specialize in engines, sprites, music, gameplay, levels, gimmicks, the whole eight yards! Got a project you want to show off? Need some help with your game? Or maybe you just want to connect with creators and fans alike! No matter why you're here, hit that register button below to join the fun and start creating today!

1. Hey Guest!

We just updated our SFGHQ Rules & Guidelines. Give them a read, it might just save your life!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest!

Our pals from the SHC are going to be running the Sonic Hacking Contest a little later this year, a bit after SAGE! You should totally check it out by clicking here!

Dismiss Notice

Game Roblet Land

Discussion in 'Creation Labs' started by Starturbo, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Starturbo

Starturbo Fast Moving Star

[​IMG]

Roblet Land is a virtual pet simulator and platformer hybrid, that I'm making. Though, overall it won't be too focused on platforming.

Its main inspiration is the Chao Gardens from the Sonic Adventure/Advance games. As you can see, Technic (from my previous project) is also in it, and other characters may be added later too.

Pretty much, I've decided to put my other projects on hold to make this my focus. When I do go back to Superstar Technic, it will likely be when this game is complete, and I'll likely give it a new art style to differentiate.

Roblet Land is still very incomplete, but I figured I'd make this topic, as there is still a bit I can show off and I have been making a lot of progress on it.

I plan to make this game different from the Chao Gardens as well, and it already sort of is in some ways. For now, I've just been trying to make as much progress as possible.

Unlike the Sonic games, there will be no stages in this game, which means I'll need a different way to level-up Roblets. The food already increases their stats, however, and I plan to add mini-games for both playable characters and Roblets alike.

The Game's Plot (subject to change):

Across multiple dimensions, portals have been discovered, which all lead to a mysterious land unlike no other. No humans or animals live there. On planet Automatopia, the company Electriware, famous for their household robotic pets known as Roblets, decides to build a petting zoo in the mysterious dimension. Naturally, they name it Roblet Land. The company holds a robot building contest, stating that the 4 winners can access the park early, for the price of having to help prepare it for opening. Technic, Rop, Rachael, and Chromer are declared the winners of this contest. They then travel to Roblet Land to help prepare for the park's launch.

Support the Patreon here:

https://www.patreon.com/turbowavegames

(video is outdated)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can visit these links to keep up with the game's progress:

http://starturbo.deviantart.com/
    https://discord.gg/gExdjuj
    https://www.facebook.com/turbowavegames/
    https://twitter.com/TheStarturbo?lang=en
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheStarSonic64/

Feedback is welcome!

Credits:

Art: Kye "Starturbo" Beaudoin, Bas-Makes-Games, BountyXSnipe, The Bleeding G
    Music: DeltaHedron
    Programming: Kye "Starturbo" Beaudoin
    Sound Effects: Kye "Starturbo" Beaudoin

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  2. Starturbo

[​IMG]

Testing different grass, but I'm not sure if it fits the game's artstyle or not. I just know that the grass before got "cut off", and manually placing the blades is a pain, and looks less natural.

Edit: Nevermind, going back to placing the grass like I was before.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  3. Starturbo

[​IMG]

Added a sky (still work in progress) to Roblet Land, and finished updating the Roblets' sprites!

4. Starturbo

[​IMG]

Testing water slides! Still very work in progress.

5. Starturbo

Improved the graphics a bit, and I'm also working on adding a new character named Rop! He lacks animations currently, and extra characters aren't top priority right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. P3DR0

P3DR0 Administrator

Hey man, project's looking dope!

I think I prefer the old grass (the darker shade of green from the previous set of photos), though.

Keep it up!

7. Starturbo

Thanks! I wasn't sure which grass was better, as some people prefer the brighter shades. I kind of prefer the darker shades too, now that I look at it. I could always pick something in-between as well.

Edit: Tried something in-between. Could this work?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  8. P3DR0

P3DR0 Administrator

I still like the darker one better, but this works!

9. Neo Hazard

Neo Hazard E Rank Member

Digging this project, Tamagotchi meets Chao Gardens only with robots. Sounds like a pretty winning formula to me! Question though, do you plan on having different activities for the Roblets, like the races and karate of the Chao Gardens? Hope to see more soon, keep up the stellar work!

10. Starturbo

I'm planning to add activities for Roblets, yes. Possibly more than the Chao Garden had (no promises yet). There will also be mini-games for the playable characters, where you can gain items (similar to Chaos Drives), which you'll be able to use to level-up Roblets faster. I'm thinking those mini-games won't be required, but rather, speeds up the process. I'll try to make them fun too.

Also making some minor graphical improvements, as you can see here:

[​IMG]

Shadows may need to be adjusted a bit though.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  11. Starturbo

[​IMG]

Working on adding a new room! Not the best GIF, and the walls are cut off, but you're not missing much. Don't worry, I'll continue polishing the first room as well.

12. Starturbo

Figured I'd share some more progress. Improved throwing, some colors, and now I'm adding more to the background (still very early). The throw distance has also been decreased a bit since the first GIF was recorded.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Starturbo

https://www.patreon.com/starturbo

Opened a Patreon for the game! May be a bit too soon, but I know Patreons can last forever if you want, so it's not like it needs to be successful right off.

14. Starturbo

[​IMG]

Revamped the stats a bit! Could make more adjustments, but I feel this looks pretty good.

[​IMG]

Also working on adding splash screens! Trying to reach out to YoYo Games to ensure this is proper usage of their branding. If not, I may remove the GMS screen.

15. Starturbo

16. Starturbo

Giving Technic a bit of a redesign. May look a bit like Bomberman, so let me know if it's too much so. Worth noting his character and game are much different from Bomberman though.

[​IMG]

17. Starturbo

Kind of a lot of Technics, but here's some different faces I could use.

[​IMG]

I'm leaning more towards the first one though, as it's essentially his old design, but better. Thoughts?

Edit: Will probably go with this (made a slight edit to the first one):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  18. Starturbo

Sorry for the lack of updates! You may have noticed that the team has been switched around quite a bit. Anyways, I don't have much to show yet, sadly, as the graphics are being reworked and I haven't touched the game's code in a while. For now, here's some animations by BountyXSnipe (creator of Wildlife Survivor, a game Markiplier has played, as well as other upcoming projects). He gave me permission to share these, so hopefully it's alright to post them here. Keep in mind, I'll likely have another team member adjust the shading once all the animations are done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Starturbo

[​IMG]

Testing out some new tiles, along with WIP fog! Credit to Bas-Makes-Games for helping with the tiles. Keep in mind, the "rocks" in the dirt will likely be changed soon and flowers along with other types of tiles will eventually be added (was going to make the flowers objects with depth, hence why they were removed, though I may make them part of the tiles again). In fact, a lot of the game's graphics will likely be getting revamped, and as you can see the water hasn't been changed yet. Still, not too sure if the new grass fits the game well or not so, feedback is welcome!

Progress has been somewhat slow, as we have all been busy, but hopefully it will speed up in the future. Keep in mind, we aren't a registered company right now, and no one is getting paid. I do want to pay others for their work eventually though, and I'm thinking of maybe doing a Kickstarter once the game is close to finished. Not too sure about that, and there's already a Patreon if you wish to support the game now. Worth noting that I'm close friends with some of the team, and I know everyone pretty well, though we are spread out across the globe. Everyone is fine working for free, though I feel it would only be fair to pay them at some point. Feel free to leave your thoughts on this as well!

20. Starturbo

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. Been rewriting the game from the ground up (still in GMS1), as the code was getting messy and unoptimized. I want the game to run on Android at 30FPS at least (though, perhaps I shouldn't focus on that too much right now), and the rewrite runs fairly well at that room speed. 60FPS on Android sort of works too, but it lags on some devices. However, that could just be a GameMaker thing.

Anyways, this means that the game is no longer using a bought asset for collisions, and now uses state machines so that (hopefully) I won't have to rewrite again.

Here's some GIFs of the rewrite, in order from older, to more recent. Doesn't have everything that the old version had, but it's getting there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]