don't click here

Questions about tools used

hombreimaginario

Writer and indie dev in Málaga, Spain
Feb 26, 2019
Málaga, Spain
retrosumus.com
Hello everyone. My name is Carlos and I'm from Málaga, southern Spain. I'm an advertising copywriter and a member of a small indie dev team.

So I've played some Sonic fangames from time to time, but I was wondering, what dev tools and languages are you guys using for your projects? I assume Sonic 1 & 2 hacks are basically that, but deeper hacks or entirely new games (even those based or inspired by the originals) need proper coding, or using something like, say, GameMaker or whatever...

I mean, don't they? I'm genuinely very, very curious about what you guys use for creating your games.

Sorry if this has been discussed to death, I asked an admin which subforum I should post my questions on and he recommended this one so of course feel fre to move this if it's not the right one. Thanks in advance.

MeyerGames

Spring Yard Zone
Sep 23, 2017
www.patreon.com
Well, I can't speak for everyone since mine isn't a Sonic project, but I'm making my original game, Lloyd the Monkey 2, in Unity. It's extremely versatile, supports a wide variety of current platforms, and gives you a lot of control over what you're working on. Other developers here use GameMaker Studio, Multimedia Fusion (Sonic Worlds) and occasionally the Unreal Engine.

Hope this helps!

Metalsonic3 // Jargonfox

Spring Yard Zone
Sep 5, 2017
Finland
Alot of non-hack Sonic fangames are made using some premade engines, such as Sonic Worlds made for Multimedia/Clickteam Fusion, you can read about that one here: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=35097

I don't know toooo much about any other engines since I just use Fusion myself, but yeah Sonic Worlds has been around for quuuite a while now, I used to build my own unreleased and unfinished Sonic fangame using Sonic Worlds 0.1 when the engine only had the very basics really. Nowdays I like building my own engines (in Fusion), maaainly since I now like making things in bigger scale overall and Sonic Worlds is made to work with those small classic Sonic sized graphics.

hombreimaginario

Writer and indie dev in Málaga, Spain
Feb 26, 2019
Málaga, Spain
retrosumus.com
Thank you for your replies. To be honest I was hoping for something what would be easier to port to, say, the Dreamcast ;) But I'll take a look and see what I can come up with. Feels wrong to be so ignorant! :P