Replace Or remove fan characters?

• Total voters

BlueFrenzy

Green Hill Zone
May 2, 2020
UPDATE ON 08/03/2020:
THE GAME IS FINALLY GOLD

Hello,
It has been passed about 13 years since the last time I touched this project. It was around 2004 when I started this ambicious project. Dozens of levels, 5 playable characters, including 2 original ones for a story I was wanting to tell. Scope was waaay ahead of what a 16 year old person. 4 years later live asked me to move on. My time for working in the project was gone, my efforts should go towards something that reports me money and, on top of that, I lost my data in the hard drive I saved all my work, not only from this project but from many others.

Today I found several files in an old pendrive where I hold on to a backup. After carefully looking through them, I noticed that I built almost 20 levels. That's way too much.
So I decided to close that step in my life. I know that the scene right now is much more different than in 2005 when I showcased this game for the first time. There are amazing projects out there that outshines everything I could have done at the time (awesome job, guys), and my own ability as game designer and level designer is far from what it was.

So, I decided to, despite everything, give it a shot. I will pack all the levels I made, make a quick clean up, and come back in a few weeks to show the results. I will delete many things, including the very first level, which is probably one of the worse ones I've ever created, and bring many of the ones that I think are fun enough.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/FrenzyKun

otz.png jcz2.png ehz3.png hpz2.png

So, if you don't mind a 2005 style fangame, something before Sonic Worlds was a thing, just wait a little longer :)

I am updating a bit the post with the overall changes of SFA respecting the classic sonic games. Feel free to discuss it. Can you find the reasoning behind of the decisions?

Rings
Overall the ring system in sonic games makes battle situations extremely easy due to how easy is to brute force through. Some mechanics changed in order to address this issue.
  • If you receive a second hit before you get a ring that is not the one you dropped, no rings will appear. This limits your survival to 3 hits in places where there are no rings.
Ring level
There are 4 ring levels: Bronze, silver, golden and hyper. Get one "Ring level Up" monitor to level up. You lose all your levels if you lose one life.
The ring level affects the following features:
  • The number of rings you can recover after a hit (from only 5 at bronze level to 30 at hyper level)
  • The speed of the rings when magneted.
  • At hyper level, rings worth x2.
Shields
The shields doesn't provide powers to sonic, but rather, passive effects. Every shield protects you against one hit.
  • Green shield: basic shield with no special powers.
  • Blue sheld: allows to breathe underwater
  • Red shield: makes you immune to fire and fire projectiles
  • Pink shield: magnets the rings
  • Purple shield: destroys badniks when lost
  • Gold shield: It has all the properties above. When receiving a hit, it becomes a green shield.
Powers
Sonic is the only character able to use these powers by double jumping. Pressing CTRL key allows to switch between the powers. Find the power monitors to unlock the power. All the powers are lost if you lose one life.
  • Flame power: Propels Sonic forward at high speed
  • Wind power: Allows to double jump
  • Water power: Allows for slow falling
  • Earth power: Propels down at high speed. You can bounce high breaking things and break some frail platforms.
  • Light power: Mixture of flame and wind power.
Super Sonic
Only Sonic and the fan character Darkspeed can transform into their super forms.
Find the giant rings hidden in the levels to access the special stages. Complete the special stage to earn one chaos emerald. Get the 7 chaos emeralds to unlock super sonic.

In order to transform into super sonic you need to find one of the giant rings hidden in the level. There are 3 Giant rings on each level.
Each giant ring gives you 20 rings instead of the usual 50.

Levels
The game is composed of 11 zones with several acts each. At the end of each act you have a boss fight. There are two extra boss battles at the end of the game.
Reach one zone to be able to start the game from that zone.

Story & progression
The original story has been deprecated in order to show something simple. Still, a small story has to be done to make sense of the latest Zones.
"At the ruins of the Death Egg, an evil specter has taken the control of EggRobo. Using the ruins of the Death egg he started to build his own mechanical empire. He built 3 different power plants in order to get the resources necessary to build his machines"

The game is split into 4 stages:
  1. Stage 1: Conquer the Oil Tower: Eggrobo is extracting and burning the oil under the sand of the dessert to feed the robots.
  2. Stage 2: Conquer the Hydroelectric Plant: The damp feeds with electricity the whole empire.
  3. Stage 3: Conquer the Netherworld Base: The hot magma is not only a reliable energy source but also rich in molten iron, useful to build robots.
  4. Stage 4: Conquer Eggrobo: Without anywhere to escape, follow EggRobo into his secret base.
Characters
There are 5 playeble characters:
  • Sonic: Uses the powers found in the monitors
  • Tails: Can fly for short periods of time. His flight is more controllable than in the genesis games.
  • Knuckles: Can glide and climb. His movement is more agile than in the genesis games.
  • Darkspeed: Fan character. Can shoot himself in any direction when double jumping. Also, can roll boost by pressing CRTL. He's powerful but also represents the hard mode.
  • Ania: Fan character. Can levitate, shoot energy beams and swim. <- She's probably going to be deprecated.
There are routes exclusive for each character. Some characters even start some levels in different places. Also, some of the bosses have small behavior differences between characters.

Goals and Achievements
The game will keep track of the following:
  • Score: what's your highest score? A game over will reset it to zero. The extra lifes you have at the end of the game will greatly boost your score.
  • Giant rings per level: Each level has 3 giant rings hidden. Can you take them all in one go?
  • Extra level: There's an extra level available once the game has been completed with all the characters. The Maze is a challenge only suitable for the most engaged players who really enjoys exploring every corner of the game. Can you find the 4 different exits?
  • Chao Eggs: Every level has a chao egg hidden somewhere. Can you find them all?
Expected delivery date: SAGE 2020

Last edited:

Campers

Green Hill Zone
Mar 29, 2020
I really, really appreciate passionate projects being revived. I'm looking forward for this one man!

BlueFrenzy

Green Hill Zone
May 2, 2020
Wow, thanks for the warm answer. It's sad I cannot bring the original idea. Still, I hope that people enjoy all that work.

BlueFrenzy

Green Hill Zone
May 2, 2020
I am updating a bit the post with the overall changes of SFA respecting the classic sonic games. Feel free to discuss it. Can you find the reasoning behind of the decisions?

Rings
Overall the ring system in sonic games makes battle situations extremely easy due to how easy is to brute force through. Some mechanics changed in order to address this issue.
  • If you receive a second hit before you get a ring that is not the one you dropped, no rings will appear. This limits your survival to 3 hits in places where there are no rings.
Ring level
There are 4 ring levels: Bronze, silver, golden and hyper. Get one "Ring level Up" monitor to level up. You lose all your levels if you lose one life.
The ring level affects the following features:
  • The number of rings you can recover after a hit (from only 5 at bronze level to 30 at hyper level)
  • The speed of the rings when magneted.
  • At hyper level, rings worth x2.
Shields
The shields doesn't provide powers to sonic, but rather, passive effects. Every shield protects you against one hit.
  • Green shield: basic shield with no special powers.
  • Blue sheld: allows to breathe underwater
  • Red shield: makes you immune to fire and fire projectiles
  • Pink shield: magnets the rings
  • Purple shield: destroys badniks when lost
  • Gold shield: It has all the properties above. When receiving a hit, it becomes a green shield.
Powers
Sonic is the only character able to use these powers by double jumping. Pressing CTRL key allows to switch between the powers. Find the power monitors to unlock the power. All the powers are lost if you lose one life.
  • Flame power: Propels Sonic forward at high speed
  • Wind power: Allows to double jump
  • Water power: Allows for slow falling
  • Earth power: Propels down at high speed. You can bounce high breaking things and break some frail platforms.
  • Light power: Mixture of flame and wind power.

Super Sonic
Only Sonic and the fan character Darkspeed can transform into their super forms.
Find the giant rings hidden in the levels to access the special stages. Complete the special stage to earn one chaos emerald. Get the 7 chaos emeralds to unlock super sonic.

In order to transform into super sonic you need to find one of the giant rings hidden in the level. There are 3 Giant rings on each level.
Each giant ring gives you 20 rings instead of the usual 50.

Levels
The game is composed of 11 zones with several acts each. At the end of each act you have a boss fight. There are two extra boss battles at the end of the game.
Reach one zone to be able to start the game from that zone.

Story & progression
The original story has been deprecated in order to show something simple. Still, a small story has to be done to make sense of the latest Zones.
"At the ruins of the Death Egg, an evil specter has taken the control of EggRobo. Using the ruins of the Death egg he started to build his own mechanical empire. He built 3 different power plants in order to get the resources necessary to build his machines"

The game is split into 4 stages:
  1. Stage 1: Conquer the Oil Tower: Eggrobo is extracting and burning the oil under the sand of the dessert to feed the robots.
  2. Stage 2: Conquer the Hydroelectric Plant: The damp feeds with electricity the whole empire.
  3. Stage 3: Conquer the Netherworld Base: The hot magma is not only a reliable energy source but also rich in molten iron, useful to build robots.
  4. Stage 4: Conquer Eggrobo: Without anywhere to escape, follow EggRobo into his secret base.

Characters
There are 5 playeble characters:
  • Sonic: Uses the powers found in the monitors
  • Tails: Can fly for short periods of time. His flight is more controllable than in the genesis games.
  • Knuckles: Can glide and climb. His movement is more agile than in the genesis games.
  • Darkspeed: Fan character. Can shoot himself in any direction when double jumping. Also, can roll boost by pressing CRTL. He's powerful but also represents the hard mode.
  • Ania: Fan character. Can levitate, shoot energy beams and swim. <- She's probably going to be deprecated.
There are routes exclusive for each character. Some characters even start some levels in different places. Also, some of the bosses have small behavior differences between characters.

Goals and Achievements
The game will keep track of the following:
  • Score: what's your highest score? A game over will reset it to zero. The extra lifes you have at the end of the game will greatly boost your score.
  • Giant rings per level: Each level has 3 giant rings hidden. Can you take them all in one go?
  • Extra level: There's an extra level available once the game has been completed with all the characters. The Maze is a challenge only suitable for the most engaged players who really enjoys exploring every corner of the game. Can you find the 4 different exits?
  • Chao Eggs: Every level has a chao egg hidden somewhere. Can you find them all?

Progress
Keep in mind that this progress is towards the final goal of finishing the game. Many small glitches and visual errors may pop here and there. The game is completely playable, but at some points it's a bit ugly. I won't be able to make the fixes necessary, else, I would not be able to release the game. In the future I may open source the files so anyone could polish the game. So, when I say 100% completed, it doesn't mean it is perfect, but that it is ready to ship.

• Zone 1: Completed
  • Zone 2: Completed
  • Zone 3: Completed
  • Zone 4: Completed
  • Zone 5: Completed
  • Zone 6: Completed
  • Zone 7: Completed
  • Zone 8: Completed
  • Zone 9: Completed
  • Zone 10: Completed
  • Zone 11: WIP
  • Special stages: WIP
  • Character adaptations: WIP
  • Final stage: Not done / not working
  • Story: Not done / not working
  • Extra zone: WIP
  • Menus: Not done / not working
  • General major bugfixes: WIP
Expected delivery date: I will never say such a thing again. But let's say, we are talking about a few weeks of work (not a few weeks of the calendar).

BlueFrenzy

Green Hill Zone
May 2, 2020
Hello, I added a poll according to one decision I have to make.
What do I do with The Fan characters? Concretely Darkspeed and Ania. They are almost fully playable but they make no sense after deprecating the storyline.
So, this is the situation:

I will create a Garbage Dump section where I will place all the deprecated stuff from the game that is more or less working so, after beating the game with all the characters, you will be able to play it. There, I will include the maze level and probably one stand alone boss that makes no sense right now.

I was thinking about having the fan characters included here as well, but I am not sure if I should keep them or replace them and include them as part of the main campaing.

Option A: Replace characters. Darkspeed will become shadow. Shadow is included as a selectable character from start as well as in a Stand Alone boss battle. Ania will be replaced by Tikal and have the same treatment.

Option B: Darkspeed and Ania will be moved to the Garbage Dump. The main campaign consists on Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. Once the game is completed with the three of them, Through the Garbage Dump section you will be able to select them.

noahncopeland

Green Hill Zone
Sep 4, 2017
Wooooooooooooahhhh! This has come out of nowhere. This is awesome history. A 2005 fan game is certainly a vibe in its own and I dig it.

Do you have pictures of Darkspeed or Ania? Maybe the level of OC-ness present would influence our votes

Sep 18, 2017
England
My god I never thought I'd be seeing your name again. I remember this game from all them years ago. Was one of my favorite back in the day. So glad to see you and it back. Looking forward to this very much. Huge props dude!

• Love
Reactions: BlueFrenzy

BlueFrenzy

Green Hill Zone
May 2, 2020
Wooooooooooooahhhh! This has come out of nowhere. This is awesome history. A 2005 fan game is certainly a vibe in its own and I dig it.

Do you have pictures of Darkspeed or Ania? Maybe the level of OC-ness present would influence our votes
They are awful, actually. Most of the sprites are made by me.

But they were part of the progression. At the end of each chapter I had a battle with one of the characters in order to unlock them. So, deprecating them means losing this part of the progression.
Certainly the problem is with Darkspeed, because I need the 3 combats to make everything consistent.

BlueFrenzy

Green Hill Zone
May 2, 2020
Update at 1st of June:
Final Boss reimplemented. I actually did it quite fast, so in the end I think it's quite hard for a sonic game. Now I am able to beat it all quite easily but I keep on losing one or two lifes in the process.

I have to finish one of the chapter bosses, add tutorials and a bit of sprite style cutscenes and main game is done. After that, I will add some tutorial screens, savegame progress, and if I have time, track of the scores.

I will be glad of someone can help me regarding adding the game to the showcase and how to participate in the next SAGE. Probably for sage I will release the game as it is. It may resemble a Beta more than a final product due to the lack of polish, but hey, a freaking 2005 fangame available for everyone to play.

BlueFrenzy

Green Hill Zone
May 2, 2020
A small update.
The main campaign is now finished. I am adjusting spikes of difficulty, but overall the game is hard. In any case you can restart any level you played.
Now, I am struggling with the savegame and multiple character stuff. I don't really know how I am going to handle it since the game was not prepared properly.

For now, starting a new game will erase the previous savestate. Continue, allows to continue and level select will start the game from that level. I will try to flag the game as completed to unlock everything.

Overall, I propose a challenge for the most engaged players that is to be able to find all the 3 big rings in each stage. The stages had been designed so you can get the 3 in one run. Also, I will keep track of the higher score.

Still, some big issues: latest levels doesn't work for characters that are not sonic since those levels were thought to be different for other characters. I will try to figure out a solution, but making new levels is out of the question.

Hopefully I will release the infinite beta for SAGE.

Reactions: BlazefireLP

BlueFrenzy

Green Hill Zone
May 2, 2020
The game entered today in gold candidate. First version that I am trying with close friends to find bugs. Although I didn't manage to get in the SAGE trailer, I will be there.

ANOTHER FANGAME COMPLETED

I expect soon your feedback.
If anyone can help me to spread the voice or you know someone who can help, please, contact me.

Reactions: Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Nova

Green Hill Zone
Jul 3, 2020
South East, England
I'm actually incredibly excited to finally play this. I still remember this trailer from back in the day and being super excited for this fangame.

The trailer impressed me with how fast it was, the J-pop soundtrack, "was that Hyper Sonic?!", just wow. I can't believe it was that long ago!!

I'll definitely be playing this!

BlueFrenzy

Green Hill Zone
May 2, 2020
I'm actually incredibly excited to finally play this. I still remember this trailer from back in the day and being super excited for this fangame.

The trailer impressed me with how fast it was, the J-pop soundtrack, "was that Hyper Sonic?!", just wow. I can't believe it was that long ago!!

I'll definitely be playing this!
The bad news is that "that hypersonic" was lost in the Hard drive crash, so, not anymore. The good news is that now it goes at 60fps due to the brand new DirectX rendering mode. New for me, of course. Remember this was build at first in Multimedia Fusion 1.5, way before hardware acceleration was a thing.

I think I need to record a new trailer.

Reactions: Nova

Nova

Green Hill Zone
Jul 3, 2020
South East, England
The bad news is that "that hypersonic" was lost in the Hard drive crash, so, not anymore. The good news is that now it goes at 60fps due to the brand new DirectX rendering mode. New for me, of course. Remember this was build at first in Multimedia Fusion 1.5, way before hardware acceleration was a thing.

I think I need to record a new trailer.
Absolutely not a dealbreaker! I want to suggest using the same music in a new trailer but that's totally up to you! ;)