don't click here

Fan Game My new 3D Sonic fan game and framework

Josh4359

Green Hill Zone
Jun 14, 2022
Since my new project has been nearing the development time of my rushed SAGE 2022 game, I've decided to start posting about it here and maybe even redeem my development skills.

This new project has some major upgrades from the old one, those who have tried the demo have described the controls as "buttery smooth" and the only major point of criticism so far has been that animation transitions may need more work. At least I didn't make the mistake of using my own animations again.

The framework itself needs a little more work but is mostly complete. The code may need to be reorganized as it's all in one script which is over 2000 lines, so I wouldn't consider it ready for public release yet, but that will happen at some point. However, if you're interested in making your own framework, I've posted a basic Unity tutorial which should help get you started. I also need to spend more time working on and polishing certain features such as rolling and splines.

The Game
I started this project on September 28, 2022 and have since spent around 2-8 hours a day every other week working on it. I've been posting frequent progress updates on YouTube as well as demos on Itch.io. Please give it a try and I'll be looking out for feedback :)

Here's a little preview of a stage I recently made using assets from Sonic Unleashed's Windmill Isle:

My Discord
One of the main goals of this project is to grow a community and make friends with similar interests, so if you're interested in keeping up with the game's progress or want to share your own, consider joining my Discord server. Their feedback is usually prioritized first when I'm planning on what to work on next.

I might use this thread to post occasional updates for now as I don't think the game's yet deserving of a full showcase booth.

GdGohan

Knight Of The Wind
Oct 12, 2020
interesting, I started using the bumper engine, I wanted to at least put the boost but I don't know how to program XD, what I did was rip the maps from generations and unleashed project and rip the model and animations from sonic unleashed.For now I don't have the slightest idea how to put the animations correctly, just the model, what pleased me most was having managed to put a light effect on unity that ended up leaving the windmill isle act 1 and cool edge pretty:)

GdGohan

Knight Of The Wind
Oct 12, 2020
do you intend to do more tutorials like putting boost etc?

Josh4359

Green Hill Zone
Jun 14, 2022
do you intend to do more tutorials like putting boost etc?
maybe, might just end up releasing the framework when its done and making videos on how i got it to work. still isnt finished tho; working on reorganizing all the messy code which might take a while.

boost specifically should be pretty easy to do urself, just set the player to max speed on a timer.

GdGohan

Knight Of The Wind
Oct 12, 2020
maybe, might just end up releasing the framework when its done and making videos on how i got it to work. still isnt finished tho; working on reorganizing all the messy code which might take a while.

boost specifically should be pretty easy to do urself, just set the player to max speed on a timer.
I managed to import models with animations, but now I wanted to be able to add the rail since I realized that there are already existing scripts for it in the bumper engine but I don't know how

Josh4359

Green Hill Zone
Jun 14, 2022
I managed to import models with animations, but now I wanted to be able to add the rail since I realized that there are already existing scripts for it in the bumper engine but I don't know how
ull need some kind of spline plugin. i think unity also has its built in splines but I've heard they aren't very good

GdGohan

Knight Of The Wind
Oct 12, 2020
ull need some kind of spline plugin. i think unity also has its built in splines but I've heard they aren't very good
I still can't put the rail:( I realized that unity has the spline, I just want to put the boost but I don't know how to program, would I be able to put a button to accelerate?