don't click here

Fan Game Knuckles the Echidna Metroidvania (Title Not Final)

Shane_Leath

Green Hill Zone
May 27, 2018
UPDATE 6-02-2019

We really need more Programmers and Spriters/Artists.

For Programmers:
  • We are using GameMaker Studio 1 and the Sonic MAX Engine.
  • If you know how to use source control AKA SourceTree and BitBucket you are definitely being brought on to help with that.
  • Any other questions, message me or leave them below.
For Spriters/Artists:
  • We are using GameMaker Studio 1 and the Sonic MAX Engine.
  • We're going for a style similar to Iconoclasts and Owlboy, the highly detailed and/or 1 Million bit sprites, I honestly don't know what to call it.
  • I'll share the full list of Areas, Objects, and Characters when you join but I will share that other than Knuckles, Tikal, and Chaos will appear; some areas that will appear are The Master Emerald Altar, Hidden Palace, Red Mountain/Lava Reef, and Azure Lake. And The Chaos Rings are featured heavily in the game as both plot devices and gameplay elements.
About the Game

Overview

Knuckles the Echidna is the current Guardian of the Master Emerald and Angel Island, he’s also the only surviving Echidna on Mobius. His family history is a sorry tale of war, destruction, near extinction and Chaos, always changing form throughout history. However he doesn’t know much about it because the legacy has been lost for ages, also lost to the ages were the Chaos Rings. These mystical relics contain the power of the elements and 6 of them resurfaced a few years back during a plot by Dr. Eggman to use them to summon the Master Emerald to him. Knuckles and the captive Chaotix stopped this however and got the Rings back… then lost them soon after.

After helping Sonic defeat Eggman’s latest scheme, Knuckles has retired back to Angel Island and the Master Emerald. One day, while out collecting some marble for the Master Emerald Altar Reconstruction project, Team Dark of G.U.N. pays a visit to the Island. They explain that they recovered the lost 6 Chaos Rings and brought them back to base where they had the 7th hidden away when they brought them together, however, something strange happened. Something that seemed like an explosion went off knocking Shadow, Rouge, and the Commander out cold; when they came to they tracked the Ring they had to Angel Island, yet they had no idea how they got there.

Hearing this Knuckles sets out to find and recover the Rings and get to the bottom of how they got to the island. Along the
way, he will discover the legacy of the Echidna Race, Master Emerald Guardians and Angel Island, and more.

Characters
Our Hero and his Allies
  • Knuckles the Echidna: The Protagonist, obviously.
  • Tikal the Spirit Echidna: The "Navi" of the Game
  • Chaos: Ally
  • Team Dark: Allies
Our Villans
Dr. Eggman and the Eggman Empire is NOT in this game to any capacity save a few badniks in disrepair left over from previous attacks.

Gameplay
2D Metroidvania Platformer standards:
  • Emphasis on exploration to find hidden extras whether it be stat bonuses, items, extra story, or other rewards.
  • New abilities that allow access to previously inaccessible areas whether because it’s filled with previously impossible to kill enemies or bosses that need a specific ability to defeat, natural barriers such as high ledges, large gaps or walls that need to be broken down with a certain item/ability.
  • Backtracking to previous areas with new abilities to access new sections.
There are 7 different areas of Angel Island that can be explored, Red Mountain/Lava Reef, Ice Cap, Azure Lake, Mushroom Hill, Carnival Night, Sky Sanctuary, and an Undecided 7th Area with The Master Emerald Shrine on Shrine Isle and The Hidden Palace acting as hub areas, plus the final area, The Pirates’ Fleet.

Knuckles can use his running, wall climbing, gliding, and various other natural abilities to explore these regions plus he’ll be able to find tools that unlock new abilities that allow for further and fuller exploration. Examples include The Drill Claws that will allow Knuckles to dig through walls and floors to access areas blocked by rock falls or other such blockages. The Chaos Rings will also open new areas with new abilities, such as the Yellow Ring allowing Knuckles to power up old machinery and doorways.

Behind the scenes of the above https://sendvid.com/rovofg4v

Last edited:

Valeev

sonic crocodile my beloved
Aug 14, 2017
Do you plan to post something else besides recruitment info? Threads without any information about the game itself like at least logo, description or screenshots are very out of our rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: AltyTimes

Shane_Leath

Green Hill Zone
May 27, 2018
Sorry, I'm not familiar with forums. I'll add a description of the game.

Last edited:

Valeev

sonic crocodile my beloved
Aug 14, 2017
Sorry, I'm not familiar with forums. I'll add a description of the game.
Yeah, and did you got any screenshots or development material? Since you said that you are using Sonic MAX Engine, it would be just okay at least to see how is your engine going.

Prancer

some guy
Jan 29, 2018
somewhere
Wow, the game looks really good so far! But I do think you should switch from the advance sprites to the genesis sprites, because the two art styles don't mix very well.

Shane_Leath

Green Hill Zone
May 27, 2018
Wow, the game looks really good so far! But I do think you should switch from the advance sprites to the genesis sprites, because the two art styles don't mix very well.
Thank you! Also, pretty much every sprite work right now is placeholder since we're gonna need a lot of custom sprites, and so we'll eventually have a defined style.