Menu

Welcome!

Sonic Fan Games HQ is the largest resource for Sonic the Hedgehog fan gaming on the web and home to SAGE, the annual Sonic Amatuer Games Expo! We specialize in engines, sprites, music, gameplay, levels, gimmicks, the whole eight yards! Got a project you want to show off? Need some help with your game? Or maybe you just want to connect with creators and fans alike! No matter why you're here, hit that register button below to join the fun and start creating today!

1. Hey Guest!

We just updated our SFGHQ Rules & Guidelines. Give them a read, it might just save your life!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest!

Our pals from the SHC are going to be running the Sonic Hacking Contest a little later this year, a bit after SAGE! You should totally check it out by clicking here!

Dismiss Notice

Game Hill Top Zone - Bumper Engine

Discussion in 'Creation Labs' started by Greedy_Raider, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Greedy_Raider

Greedy_Raider E Rank Member

Hello , I'm Greedy Raider (A.k.a Gonzalez, Real name ), From Brazil.

I've been working for 3 weeks on this level while learning about unity, I've done many level designs before since well aside from drawings as a kid ,I remember making many levels on Hammer Studio for CS, And have some knowledge on surfaces on 3D max... But enough about me.

(05/10/2018) The current State of the game/level is this :

Alpha 0.2 Download link: https://tinyurl.com/y94gaosw

The Idea is to split level progression through 3(or 4) vertical lanes , being that the lower is always the slowest (but not safer!), but at least for this level the fastest lane might not be the top one. The lanes will constantly push you one lane above or down, forcing you to keep your toes and not go "auto".

I don't think I will make invisible barriers even tough this is a "linear" level ( at least on the horizontal plane!) , but there will always be a way to create shortcuts, that's in the character, you simply cannot hold Sonic from reaching almost anywhere in a level, that's part of the fun anyway!( I know at least 2 fun ways to "break" the linearity of the level.. but i wont spoil the fun on looking for it ;) )

The Level is to be designed with 5 section of "speed" and 4 "Hubs" joining them together, Hubs might have multiple exit point (like HUB1 is right now) , or a one way exit (HUB2).

I know that right now the level is unappealing because of it's blocky stile But i don't want to mess with details right now, I find it safer to "detail" the level as a last work, when i can safely say i wont change anything else out of place.

I scheduled myself to Report to this post on a weekly basis, every Friday. And I set myself to make a playable version of this level by mid September(even tough it will probably not finished by then). I hope to finish the level Up to mid October, and proceed to "detail" it in November.

Yes, I talk to much ;)

Should it be Game of Fan game anyways?!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  2. Greedy_Raider

Week 4 :

-added DoF
    -added underneath clouds
    -added parts of section 3
    -new enemy (ported from SA)

- Changed camera configuration.
    - Fixed shadow covering sonic body.

and some other stuff :)

3. WizToad

WizToad Wait who's this guy?

This looks really interesting so far. The level design looks nice and fastpaced and the decorations also look really nice. Do you plan on replacing some of the zone's textures in the future like the grass and ground tile? It's just that they look too much like Green Hill Zone's textures at the moment and they don't fit the zone at all.

4. Greedy_Raider

The wall tile must go somewhere between the mid end and the finish level, while they exist in the original. most of the HTZ have a much diferent pattern:
    [​IMG]
    My only problem is that i really want to make some of it in 3d. At least the some of the higher parts. And i havent found an exact good patern for this texture also...

As for the grass.. Idk.. i dont mind it all that much... I only changed the pattern to fit the zone instead of the squares of green hill, It doesnt bother me all that much... but it can think about it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  5. Greedy_Raider

Update: Week 6

-Score added.
    -Combo(tricks) added.
    -More geometry(lots of it)
    -More UI (combo & score)

I have finished the foundation of the level, Right now you can go from the beginning, actually, it's not the real beginning :P, it will have some stuff before where it's starting right now... Like the climb of a roller coaster... but even so, the Vital part... the meat... it's mostly done, I still have to make some challenges and dangers on the very end... I'm thinking on making a mini-boss... but I don't think it's gonna be there so soon :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  6. OzGuy

OzGuy E Rank Member

So I was looking for new BE levels and M I N D B L O W N

So many paths! And you designed the level to take full advantage of the physics! *squee*

7. Greedy_Raider

Update : Week 7

Alpha 0.1 : https://tinyurl.com/ybm5njnk

-Releasing version 0.1

-Stage is now 90% complete, aside from final climb.
    -Section 1 was remade for more smooth runways.
    -Section 1 receive major detailing.

I managed to get to the ring in 58 secs :D

8. Zestirion

Zestirion Fighter who says you have no weapons or armor.

Well, I can say with 100% certainty that this is one of my favorite fan games to play and speedrun. My pb is 1:37.08, if anyone wants to beat it.

9. Greedy_Raider

Hey, Glad you are enjoying it! I've been concentrating on making some enhancements on the level, and cutting some bugs... might have the new alpha by next week ;) here is one of the changes :D

10. Greedy_Raider

11. Zestirion

Zestirion Fighter who says you have no weapons or armor.

I'm coming back with a speedrunning update: My time has not changed, but I think I've found a few strats to help speedrun. the first is bouncing. On a slope, you'll gain tremendous speed, and if you can keep it, even better. It's a small thing, but there are a lot of places that allow for max bouncing speed. I'm pretty sure that the best way to gain speed this way is to spam the bounce button and keep building speed up. The second strat, I have yet to see if it's completely viable, but it's to homing attack enemies when their shields are up. Although I'm not good enough to fully utilize this, I'm sure one of you guys are. So, if you'd like, you can try these strats out and tell of your success, even if it was just to test them, and not an actual run. That's all, now back to theorizing with me.

12. Greedy_Raider

Update 0.2 :

Download link on the first Post :)