don't click here

HELP WANTED: Motobug Studio [Python]

Coderman64

Sound Test
Oct 2, 2019
coderman64.github.io
Hey all! Coderman64 here!

Before we get started, note that all the code for this is open source, and available here.

Help me build a level editor for the Motobug Engine!

I have a Genesis-style Sonic engine that I made a while back, called the Motobug Engine (check it out here). While it's not the greatest engine ever made (yet!) it has some features that I haven't seen anywhere else, including the ability to play from within your web browser (thus avoiding installing possible trojans on your computer) and mobile phone support. So far, I've been building levels in custom-made .js files, which, among other things, is not user friendly.

So, enter Motobug Studio, a level editor and game designer for Motobug!

I recently started building it from the ground up using Python, and SDL2. It is far from fully-featured yet, but it is already starting to shape up:

4930 4931

Cool! Where do I start?

Check out the GitHub repository, download the code, and maybe poke around a bit. If there are any features that you think should be added, be sure to add it to the Issue Tracker on GitHub before trying to start a pull request. This is my first time managing a project like this, so hiccups may be inevitable.

What we need mostly for this project is Python programmers, but anyone can join in too. I have a feeling that this project could use some better art, level designs, and more in the future. No contribution is too small!

If you're interested, drop a post on the thread below, or just check out the publicly available GitHub page linked above.

Last edited:

Buttertails

AKA BT
Mar 27, 2022
its keep not opening im install pysdl2 and all of it but it not working
Code:
C:\Users\Sonic\Downloads\motobug-engine-designer-master\motobug-engine-designer-master>cd C:\Users\Brett\Downloads\motobug-engine-designer-master\motobug-engine-designer-master\

C:\Users\Sonic\Downloads\motobug-engine-designer-master\motobug-engine-designer-master>py main.py
UserWarning: Using SDL2 binaries from pysdl2-dll 2.0.20
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Sonic\Downloads\motobug-engine-designer-master\motobug-engine-designer-master\main.py", line 6, in <module>
    from level import level
  File "C:\Users\Sonic\Downloads\motobug-engine-designer-master\motobug-engine-designer-master\level.py", line 3, in <module>
    from items import *
  File "C:\Users\Sonic\Downloads\motobug-engine-designer-master\motobug-engine-designer-master\items.py", line 1, in <module>
    from defusedxml.ElementTree import parse
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'defusedxml'

C:\Users\Sonic\Downloads\motobug-engine-designer-master\motobug-engine-designer-master>pause
Press any key to continue . . .
how to fix it? @Coderman64 ?

Last edited:

Nikostormkilla

Green Hill Zone
Jul 23, 2020
New York
its keep not opening im install pysdl2 and all of it but to not working
Code:
C:\Users\Sonic\Downloads\motobug-engine-designer-master\motobug-engine-designer-master>cd C:\Users\Brett\Downloads\motobug-engine-designer-master\motobug-engine-designer-master\

C:\Users\Sonic\Downloads\motobug-engine-designer-master\motobug-engine-designer-master>py main.py
UserWarning: Using SDL2 binaries from pysdl2-dll 2.0.20
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Sonic\Downloads\motobug-engine-designer-master\motobug-engine-designer-master\main.py", line 6, in <module>
    from level import level
  File "C:\Users\Sonic\Downloads\motobug-engine-designer-master\motobug-engine-designer-master\level.py", line 3, in <module>
    from items import *
  File "C:\Users\Sonic\Downloads\motobug-engine-designer-master\motobug-engine-designer-master\items.py", line 1, in <module>
    from defusedxml.ElementTree import parse
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'defusedxml'

C:\Users\Sonic\Downloads\motobug-engine-designer-master\motobug-engine-designer-master>pause
Press any key to continue . . .
how to fix it? @Coderman64 ?
Is your version of Python the version needed for Motobug Studio?