don't click here

[Godot] Modern 2D Sonic Engine (WIP)

SAOarmyVID

Green Hill Zone
Mar 5, 2020
Could we possibly have the project file? I'd like to play around with the engine a little bit.

Sainic

Green Hill Zone
Sep 15, 2018
Wow a real Rush Style Engine Good Job! i will do my fangame with this engine so thank you! and good luck with your engine!

Sslaxx

Marble Zone
Sep 8, 2017
Malvern, UK
Well, looking at the code, I'm interested to see you're not using any of the existing kinematic/rigid body physics stuff. Just Area2D? What led you to that approach?

The "magic numbers" in the code need explaining, and sometimes the code uses radians, others degrees. Could be useful to abstract them to variables if they're dependent on factors like the size of the collision shape.

But it looks good, and could be a good base for a Sonic game with adjusting. Nice job!

Reactions: Coderman64

Coderman64

Sound Test
Oct 2, 2019
coderman64.github.io
Well, looking at the code, I'm interested to see you're not using any of the existing kinematic/rigid body physics stuff. Just Area2D? What led you to that approach?

The "magic numbers" in the code need explaining, and sometimes the code uses radians, others degrees. Could be useful to abstract them to variables if they're dependent on factors like the size of the collision shape.

But it looks good, and could be a good base for a Sonic game with adjusting. Nice job!
Thanks! Like I have said before, I originally made this as a way to get myself introduced to Godot. This resulted in a lot of "experimental" code where I was trying to figure out what the best practices were. As a result, though, I'm still having to go through refactoring everything, which is, of course, the most boring part.

I don't really have a good excuse for the magic numbers, though. (lol)

I originally tried adapting the rigid/kinematic body nodes for the character controller, but quickly found it much easier to just develop my own physics. This is probably because I have experience with developing a ground-up engine in the Motobug Engine, as well as the fact that Sonic's physics tends to be a bit different than most games (what with the wall-running and so forth).

Anywho, my end goal is to make it as drag-and-drop as possible, so (hopefully) nobody feels the need to dig into the code. This would probably involve modularizing the character script somewhat so you can change Sonic's moveset and appearance, as well as adding plenty of other stage items.

Reactions: Sslaxx

Z0b

Papa John's changed, man.
Oct 6, 2017
Super late post, but are you looking to update this for Godot 4.1 eventually? (Great engine, btw!)

I've been making my own engine, and I'd love to at least use this as reference as I build mine up :)

Z0b

Papa John's changed, man.
Oct 6, 2017
Yep, this one is amazing too! I love this for how close it is to Sonic Worlds in Fusion. But I'm finding that I can't learn everything from this project just yet. At least not until I get to grips with everything in Godot 4.1 a little more.

Guess I should pick up the pace; these two engines are more than enough to learn from, to be fair