[Godot] Modern 2D Sonic Engine (WIP)

Coderman64

Sound Test
Oct 2, 2019
coderman64.github.io
FLOW ENGINE - Super beta
(because flow is a synonym of rush and I'll come up with a better name later)

A Rush/Advance-styled 2D sonic engine.

I built this engine a while ago when attempting to learn how to use Godot Engine. Today, I dig it up out of the mothballs to ask you folks if I should continue the project, or let more mature projects take the lead on this type of thing.

Update (12/15): Added a stomp move, mid-air particles, and some polish. The physics engine should now also run at 120fps, which should help with problems deriving from Sonic's speed. Also changed controls (see below).

Controls:
arrow keys - movement
Z - jump
X - boost
S - stomp
R - reset position

Download here.

9835 9836

The physics (gravity, controls, etc.) are not accurate to the Rush/Advance games, I know. I'm currently not in the mood to do pixel-accurate measurements and the like on my DS and GBA games. That being said, I tried to make it feel "good enough" even if it is different than the games that gave it inspiration.

KNOWN PROBLEMS
- Sometimes collision can be glitchy

NOT IMPLEMENTED (but on the to-do list)
- Boost meter
- Rings/Enemies (and other items)
- Spindash
- Air dash/homing attach (on LB/RB)
- SAdv 2-styled mid-air movements
- lots of visual polish
- and a WHOLE LOT MORE!

Attachments

Last edited:

SacKydz12

Green Hill Zone
Sep 17, 2020
sackydz12.wixsite.com
There's tons of potential here, as stated by @xinconety. I suggest you keep on working on the project, and if you're using gdscript, then that gives it a bigger advantage since gdscript is quite simple to learn, and most other accurate engines either use paid software or use a hard programming language (C++, for example). Anyways, keep going =).

Sslaxx

Green Hill Zone
Sep 8, 2017
Malvern, UK
Show it on the Godot Discord server. Would be worth releasing the code, too. Is this using Marmito's Sonic Physics code at all?

I note that there are very few Sonic fangames using Godot. Sonic Relighted and Risemack's 2.5D demo are the only other things that come to mind. So yes, this is worth continuing.

Last edited:

Sslaxx

Green Hill Zone
Sep 8, 2017
Malvern, UK
I wouldn't worry too much about accuracy, either. The "feel" of the game is more important. Does it feel fast? Controllable? Fun to play? These questions matter, not the exact pixels the player character needs to move to accelerate.