don't click here

2D Sonic Fangame Engines

Sonic_Gamer9

Press Start Screen
Jul 15, 2021
So I've been thinking of trying to make a 2D Sonic Fangame for a while now and recently I knew I wanted to do so. There's a problem though, I have no engine to make said game. I searched through the internet and forums to no avail. I would make my own but I have no experience and it would be a tall order just to try to make something on my own. I looked into to certain ones but some never fit my needs so if anyone can help that would be great.
Requirements:

-Ability to create characters

-2D Boost (Optional)

-Good Physics

-Cheap if not free to develop for

PM13

Shameless Recolor
Feb 25, 2018
It’s entirely dependent on your needs.

Gmate uses Game Maker 8, although I think there’s a Studio version floating around somewhere…

MAX uses Game Maker Studio, which is not free. MAX also needs some work to get working with newer Game Maker versions. But it is doable. It’s the engine that my fan game, Sonic Transitions, uses.

Never messed with Sonic Realms, but I do know Unity is free. Unity can be daunting at first, but with so many resources available it’s easy to find your footing.

Sonic_Gamer9

Press Start Screen
Jul 15, 2021
It’s entirely dependent on your needs.

Gmate uses Game Maker 8, although I think there’s a Studio version floating around somewhere…

MAX uses Game Maker Studio, which is not free. MAX also needs some work to get working with newer Game Maker versions. But it is doable. It’s the engine that my fan game, Sonic Transitions, uses.

Never messed with Sonic Realms, but I do know Unity is free. Unity can be daunting at first, but with so many resources available it’s easy to find your footing.
Gmate looks the best but Sonic Transitions makes me wanna use Sonic Max. Hard decision

Sonic_Gamer9

Press Start Screen
Jul 15, 2021
Perhaps you should try making a short level in each and see which engine clicks with you better?
I would but $40 just to try to see which is better to end up maybe not using said engine would be a hassle. Unless Gamemaker has a free trial I wouldn't have the conscious to do so.

PM13

Shameless Recolor
Feb 25, 2018
I would but $40 just to try to see which is better to end up maybe not using said engine would be a hassle. Unless Gamemaker has a free trial I wouldn't have the conscious to do so.
Game Maker Studio 2 has a free trial with full functionality. The only restriction is you can’t publish any games. You can still test run them in the program just fine though.

coiny

Green Hill Zone (litterally)
May 10, 2023
I checked it out and only 3 caught my eye.

Sonic Realms

Sonic Max
&
Sonic Gmate

Which one of the three do you think would be the best?
gmate can work because gm8 is free
sonic realms i think is from unity so its gonna be harder to use

fwugFaz

Ring Rush!!
Jul 31, 2020
Rampant Flower Zone
I would suggest GMate, but don't use the studio version, its not a great port. GameMaker in my opinion is much easier to get into, and MAX can be a bit quirky sometimes. Plus, you can usually find GameMaker 8 or 8.1 on something like archive.org.

coiny

May 10, 2023
I would suggest GMate, but don't use the studio version, its not a great port. GameMaker in my opinion is much easier to get into, and MAX can be a bit quirky sometimes. Plus, you can usually find GameMaker 8 or 8.1 on something like archive.org.
its also even less recommended to use the studio version because studio is not free but gm8 is comepletly free,

coiny

May 10, 2023
school be like: