don't click here

SAGE 2022 - Demo Tamiigi and the War O' Bunnies (SAGE '22 DEMO)

General Information

sage test 5.gif
The Ice Cold Bunnies are an army of hardened Bunny warriors. One day, while sailing on their ice castle they spot land. Having been depraved of it for years, they quickly come up with a plan to take over the new land and make it their own, never wanting to sail the ocean again. They immediately get to work, capturing the native residents. Unfortunately for the Bunnies they were spotted by a sleepy fella named Tamiigi. Having been awoken from his nap by the sounds of help being screamed by the captured prisoners, Tamiigi decides to go and stop these no good furballs.

TAMIIGI:
A happy go lucky friendly amalgam of magic. He is as friendly as he is naïve. Tamiigi loves making friends, and playing with said friends. He will always help those in need, no matter how badly the odds are stacked against him. Tamiigi is a friend to all!

MAI:
Tamiigi's best friend. A friendly flower witch who is very caring to those close to her. Mai believes that no one should ever give up no matter what, so she uses her magic in between stages to heal Tamiigi so he can keep going. She is also a helpless romantic, but that doesn't affect the game at all so...
THE BUNNIES:
The bad guys (and gals?) who have invaded the land. Tamiigi has landed himself at the top of their hit list for trying to save the day. The Bunnies use in many different weapons, such as spears, cannons, mechanical crab claws and more. They will stop at nothing to carry out their plan.

THE FILIAS:
Strange elf like people who work for cheap. They were hired by the Bunnies to help take down Tamiigi and they try their hardest.

Tamiigi comes equipped with a variety of maneuvers and attacks:
  • He has a basic jump, but by holding downwards and pressing jump in the air, he can boost himself forward. Helpful for going fast, or just nailing down tricky jumps
  • Tamiigi can launch his hands and feet out for attacks. He comes equipped with a jab combo, a charged up punch, a walking kick, a running cart wheel, an aerial kick, an aerial uppercut, and lastly a ground pound. All this to take out the toughest (and weakest) of foes!
  • Not only can he launch out his hands to attack, but also use them to grab far away enemies and items. He can grab onto chains and climb along them, or pickup and throw enemies
  • Lastly for Tamiigi's moveset, his signature blend ability. While holding an enemy, Tamiigi can blend the held enemy with the attack button. Blending up certain enemies will modify Tamiigi's attacks, such as making his fist capable of blowing up or even launching fire. Beware, this only modifies fist attacks, any other attack is unaffected by the blended power
In the stages, many Yellow Bubbles are littered around. Not only can they be found lying around the stages, but they are also rewarded for high combos. Collecting 100 Bubbles will earn you invincibility! Be careful, while invincible your Bubble count will slowly go down. Keep collecting Bubbles, or else you'll become vulnerable again.

The SAGE '22 Demo of the game includes stages 1-1 and 2-1, complete with boss battles for each. 1-2 and 2-2 are skipped for the sake of variety in the demo's content. All together, the demo isn't very long. Just a short bite sized version of an already short bite sized adventure.
Stage 1-1:
Capture_04-08-2022-19-30-48.png Capture_04-08-2022-19-33-21.png Capture_04-08-2022-19-34-32.png Capture_04-08-2022-19-20-05.png
Stage 2-1:
Capture_04-08-2022-19-36-23.png Capture_04-08-2022-19-37-12.png Capture_04-08-2022-19-42-01.png
Reactions: breather

Latest reviews

alright so to make final thoughts of the game, I do think there's a lot of potential and I am always up for some kirby style games, I do like what you have going for. the graphics are certainly cute and I love the presentation.
but I also have a lot of complains, the controls can be a bit slippery or too stiff, it's hard to describe, and I didn't realize there was a run button since it wasn't taught in the tutorial, also it's R2, I would rather it if it was circle/the west button instead, albeit this will most likely be solved when the configuration menu works properly, also while the first boss is actually clever, the second boss is a piece of cake and easily cheeseable, I would like that one to be more challenging.
also speaking of music, I have noticed that it doesn't loop, it just ends abruptly and when I enter a room it starts all over again.
overall, the game is flawed but is not bad, I do say you still put a lot of effort and I want to see more of the game for sure. I can commend you for the effort alone.
Last edited:

Comments

so, I've come to report a bug, for some reason the first time I enter the game it softlocks, it doesn't even crash, it just stays at the pink screen, and the second and other times I open it the game starts normally but it has no sound, yes really, it literally has no sound, I've checked if i didn't touch anything or if my sound options were working right, I even tried removing the data from the regedit and the same thing happens, so unfortunately that prevents me from playing it and I am not sure what is causing this bug.

so, I've come to report a bug, for some reason the first time I enter the game it softlocks, it doesn't even crash, it just stays at the pink screen, and the second and other times I open it the game starts normally but it has no sound, yes really, it literally has no sound, I've checked if i didn't touch anything or if my sound options were working right, I even tried removing the data from the regedit and the same thing happens, so unfortunately that prevents me from playing it and I am not sure what is causing this bug.
The no sound is normal, no sounds have been made yet actually. That weird softlock though... I'll look into that

The no sound is normal, no sounds have been made yet actually. That weird softlock though... I'll look into that
wait, didn't the start of the game said that there's placeholder music? I would expect that one at least. I guess it's not in all of the game.
UPDATE: ah yeah there is, just not in the tutorial level, still having no sounds feel... kinda awkward.

Last edited:
  • The standard default keyboard layout for platformers is usually arrow keys mapped to movement, with the action buttons usually being mapped to "Z", "X", "C" or "A","S","D" (Celeste, N++, The End is Nigh, Sonic Mania, etc. ). Adopting this layout might make the controls easier to pick up for people coming to your game from other platformers.
  • On a second playthrough using a controller the controls felt much more intuitive. I would appreciate the option to use either the analog stick or the d-pad, even if the game doesn't support analog controls.
  • I am a big fan of mapping run to the shoulder buttons. To me it's just more comfortable and I was happy to have it there for this game. I think mapping both shoulder buttons and the triggers works well, especially since they otherwise don't do anything.
  • I thought the player character's animations were very well done. You convey a lot of character through their animations and make actions and attacks feel impactful. A suggestion I would make is to differentiate the aiming arrows between the grab and the charged punch. Even something as simple as a color change would make a good visual indicator to the player about which action they're about to perform. The wind-up when charging a punch helps, but in combination with a color change to the arrow it could be improved.
  • The stomp move hits the ground almost instantaneously. I appreciate the effort to make it feel responsive, but I think a very small amount of time at the start suspending the player in the air and a slightly decreased descent speed might make it feel better. In addition some bigger particles or other visual effects on contact with the ground might make it feel more impactful.
  • I enjoy the flip-jump used by pressing down and jump while in midair. It gives some variety to the movement without outright trivializing all platforming. On my first playthrough I didn't know it was possible. I think mapping it to jump while in midair might work better, especially since there is no action bound to jump while in midair already.
  • I don't think the slide attack performed by pressing jump while crouched has any utility since it lacks a hurt box and there are currently no obstacles required to roll under. I was wanting the roll to give me momentum when rolling down slopes and staying curled like 2D Sonic or Rayman Legends given the abundance of slopes and fast pace of the platforming. I had something similar in my SAGE entry. If you go that direction (even if this is me really reaching by suggesting you implement it at all), this writeup on classic Sonic slope movement helped me a lot in implementing rolling in my entry.
  • The spear rabbits could use something to more easily distinguish them from regular rabbits at a glance, since their spears are appropriately rabbit-sized and hard to read until you've already been hit. It's a very nice touch that there's a set distance where they start rotating their spears to aim at the position of the player before striking, but the distance where they start aiming is very small. Giving them their own color scheme, bigger spears when idle, a shine on their spears, having them aim from a farther distance, or some combination of these indicators would make them more distinct.
  • I enjoy being able to knockback the enemies, but I thought the knockback received from enemies was too strong. I also disliked being juggled by the knockback from multiple enemies during invincibility frames.
  • I think the innertube-springs in the beach level are fun, but they should launch the player a set distance when they are touched so the player can anticipate where they're going to land after encountering only one of them. Assigning different strengths to visually differentiated innertube-springs would also work if you want them to have more utility when designing levels with them in mind.
  • I enjoyed moving along the rail-chains a lot, but if the player is dodging enemies while moving on the rails, the precision of having their hitbox stay closer to their hands would be better than having them gradually sling back into position, even if the current animation is more visually interesting.
  • The biggest issue I had with the movement is the jump. The variable jump heights depending on how long the button is held is a good start, but ascending and descending happens too fast. I think slowing down the ascent and descent would help. In addition, something Celeste does that I think might help the feel of this game is capping the player's falling speed to a slower value when the jump button is held while the player is descending, and capping the player's falling speed to a faster value when the player holds down while descending.
  • A very small amount of time spent accelerating before getting to top speed when initially beginning to walk or turn might also help the feel of the movement.
  • I think the copy abilities, while visually cool to use with charged attacks, felt too similar to one another and didn't have much distinct utility outside of attacking. I thought the grabbing mechanic was much more fun and better incorporated into the level design.
  • Speaking of the grab, I think stalling the character in the air for a bit when performing a grab, and allowing the player to aim where they want to go might work better than halting their forward momentum and having them fall. Either that or letting the player keep their forward momentum while aiming to keep the flow of gameplay. Overall I think it depends on if you want more precision or flow from your gameplay.
  • When throwing limbs for a punch or grab I wanted to be able to gather collectables with my detached limbs.
  • I got soft-locked in the pit with the tangerine-pig multiple times. If you just walk along the pillar after it has fallen you should be able to recreate the same conditions. I enjoyed being with the tangerine-pig for the duration, even if there was no option to leave.
Most of my comments were either criticisms or suggested changes, but I still enjoyed playing the game and I'm excited to see what it will become in the future if you keep pursuing it, or whatever you make in the future.

Last edited:

Item information

Added by
Phear AI
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
3.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Downloads

More in Original Games