don't click here

SAGE 2022 - Demo Speedy the Rollerskater 2 - Demo

General Information

booth.png

Speedy the Rollerskater 2 is the sequel of Speedy the Rollerskater, my first game made with the Open Surge Engine, featuring 2 playable characters, new zones and skills. It's also a tribute to Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16 Bit).

WARNING!!

This is a demo for SAGE 2022, not a fullgame. The following levels shown in this demo and other stuff may change/vary in future demos and full version thanks to suggestions and constructive criticism.

Story:

After Speedy's victory against the despicable and cold Iceman, peace has been restored to Speedy's island and the world. Speedy enjoyed his summer like no other and along with his friends, he was sure his summer would be long. Or at least that's what he thought...

Iceman is back and plans to freeze the whole world up with his new invention using a colding technology, the Absolute Zero technology! Speedy realizes it when he sees tiny snow flakes falling on his island and the beach turning into a Frosty Beach. As he wonders how he can reach to find the source of the problem, his friend Zippy, a young boy with a jetpack on his back helps him seeing he saw a huge ship flying on the sky. Fearing both Iceman and Candy Boy are returned, Speedy goes to the islands where the ship is heading to with his young friend to stop the villains.

This demo features:

+2 playable characters: Speedy and Zippy
+2 Zones (No bosses included but they will appear in future demos and full version)
+Each character can run, jump, dash brake and swim.
+Each character has their unique skill, explained more below.

Controls

Key arrows: Move, move arrows to select your option.
Space Bar: Jump, selecting your character in the 'Choose your Character' screen.
Enter: Start game, access to options, confirm, and choose character. Pauses game in gameplay.

Up + Space Bar: Super Peel Out
Down + Space Bar: Slide dash, it destroys enemies as the character lets a flame of energy destroying everything on his path.
Space Bar when underwater: Swimming. When you jump underwater, press Space Bar again to swim. Press it repeatedly to swim up.

+Speedy skills:

Wall Kick: When you are between two walls, press Space Bar when you are jumping next to a wall. You'll get automatically
on that wall. To jump to another wall, press Space Bar, and quickly, press Space Bar again along with the opposite key
direction before falling.

For example, if you jumped and got in a right wall,
press Space Bar and the left key direction button quickly to hang on the left wall, and viceversa.

Finally, to let yourself go of the wall, press the Key down to let go.

Wall Kick lets you reach high sections where you can find secrets.

+Zippy skills:

Rocket Fly:
When you're in the air after jumping, press Space Bar and hold it to fly. You can fly for some seconds, but it's useful
to reach high places.

s002.png
s003.png
s004.png
s005.png
s006.png
s007.png
s009.png
s010.png
s011.png
s000.png
s004.png
s002.png
s003.png
s016.png

Latest reviews

The demo has potential to be a decent sequel, but there are gripes that must be addressed:

• Whe playing witht he gamepad, you can use the X360 equivalent of the "A button" to prompt the exit option, which should be something exclusive to the pause menu rather than a front button used for action.
    This issue in the previous compleated game accidentaly killed my run and that's detestable, so please map that option differently.
  • Certain walls behave strangely whe using Speedy's wall jump, like in the second level. Like it didn't stick to the wall at all and it killed the flow of wall jumping
  • Zippy's jetpack felt slow, which doesn't really bode well with a game which relies on speed
  • The camera during the first boss fight got stuck and you couldn't see the ground.
  • When more zones will be released, please add a save system in order to stop an any moment instead of one sessions. We are in the 2020 now, it doesn't make any sense.
  • Level Select, when fully implemented, must have levels rearranged from first to last, not according alphabetical order.
If I sounded harsh, I apologize and I'm willing to edit the language of the post, yet I have to write these things in order to offer at least some feedback for the game's next versions.

Good work and keep it up.
Reactions: YoannUlrichNdri
For a prototype I thought what was there was neat. That being said I have a lot of suggestions

1. Zippy's jetpack is very slow and awkward to use. If you use it while jumping it should make you decelerate slower so you can jump real high with it. Make the jetpack respond more to your current momentum
2. Movement speed when not doing the slide felt really slow, so basically I was constantly doing the slide move to go fast. In addition jumping murders your speed and there's no drop dash equivalent so I felt like the whole time I just had to slide to get through the stage quickly
3. The first boss is stun lockable and his moveset is pretty sparse. Adding more moves and making it so he doesn't pause when getting hit would improve the fight.
4.While the level design isn't bad, it could be improved upon, I'd look at Sonic and the Fallen Star/Triple Trouble 16bit. That being said I think what's more important right now is improving the FEEL of the game. Once Speedy/Zippy feel great to control that's when I'd start worrying about the level design.
Reactions: F108_Star

Comments

Tried to download this and got an error when unzipping it? There's no executable in the folder. In the future compress your games as a .zip and check them to make sure it compressed properly.

Tried to download this and got an error when unzipping it? There's no executable in the folder. In the future compress your games as a .zip and check them to make sure it compressed properly.
Fixed it. I now compressed it as zip. Try again

Hi. First of all, thanks for your review and your suggestions. I highly appreciate it and I'll reply to them

1) Yes. I think I could do it faster, I'll fix that in future demos

2) Now you mentioned the drop dash, I could so something similar for future demos.

3) I tried to make the first boss a bit easier and the other bosses being a bit hard as the game progresses.

4) The graphics may not be good but I tried to make my style inspired in the Master System/Game Gear graphics. Keep in mind that I respect your suggestion and I'm not protesting against it. (Also I enjoyed Sonic and the Fallen Star and Triple Trouble 16 Bit)

Thanks again and be Way Past Cool!

Item information

Added by
SynfigMaster91
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
2.50 star(s) 2 ratings

Downloads

More in Original Games