don't click here

SONIC PROJECT S

I love this game! The remixes are amazing, and the style is great!
...However, there are some complaints that I want to address:
  • While the graphics are amazing, when viewed on a medium-sized monitor, they blend together, causing my vision to become blurry, making me miss lots of notes.
  • Speaking of the speed of the notes, whenever you do very well and get your character to reach their next top speed, the note speed changes, meaning that it no longer syncs with the notes. Whenever this happened, I always finished the song with notes still ahead of my ring thing. It doesn't seem to affect my score, however.
  • While I understand that making music is tough, and that the game isn't finished yet, there are some tracks quite obviously missing from the soundtrack. I wish I could list them, but I hit the word limit.
After the update came out for this this game is incredibly smooth and fun to play and i am probably going to spend hours s ranking every song. my only gripe would be that the sprites look bad at a higher resolution or when i am playing full screen
Like others have said, I love the concept and I had fun, but the key detection needs work. Presses can go undetected for a whole .5 second. And some higher res graphics would be nice too. I'd have to play on a 144hz screen for my eyes to not hurt.
Reactions: Shod
Sr101
Sr101
Hopefully the new update touches on this issue so that you can enjoy it now! :D
S
Shod
Yeah
I get this game is trying to be a taiko like drum based game and I had a really hard problem getting through it. (I am normally very good at rythm games,) So I have a lot of complaints. The music selection that you start out with is ok. 2 Jahn Davis Songs 1 Luan Maziero and 1 Nico CW and 1 more that I don't know from the top of my head. The store to get more music is an bit BS and requires the timing to be so good. The timing is very exact and if you press 3 or 4 miliseconds to late you basically either miss or get awful. Which is pretty picky. Maybe loosen that up and that would fix it. Art is way too compressed so it makes a blur effect making the game harder and the note sync thing doesn't help. I had it at -1 for the stream but I tried -5 and had a way better time thanks to it. I think it's a good valiant effort but I would suggest fixing some of these issues! I love to see this become a thing that I can play! and that people can mod to add their own music/other music.
Sr101
Sr101
I hope you can have a better experience with the newest update, which messes with the detection :)
Pro:
Really fun, great remixes, has charm, love the increasing difficulty.

Con:
Sometimes doesn't receive inputs despite changing the audio/note sync which can be quite infuriating when you are trying to perfect/ S rank a song
Sr101
Sr101
Hey there! Thanks for the review! I took your criticism to heart and touched up the detection. Hope you can enjoy the game even more now! :D
Another thing that a definitely something new. But it has problems. Boy, does it have problems

Gameplay: I wont cover Graphics, nor Music since it comes from different sources, but wow this had a lot of potential. But unfortunately, is broken down by THIS. ONE. PROBLEM. The note detection is screwy, It decides whether it wants to count as a note or not, resulting in many instances where I DID hit that key at the right time, and nothing happened. You have to fix the note detection in order to have a rhythym game play more smoothly. You try to be DDR and Stepmania, but Stepmania was better and had a lot of different options and customizability to cater towards a certain playstyle. It has potential though, but that one thing NEEDS to be fixed, and that's the fucking note detection.

Maybe I just suck, but even then, a lot more users reported the same issue I've been having so there's no excuse

~5/10 Just fix some stuff plz
Reactions: Kaiser Zero
Sr101
Sr101
Thanks for the great review! I took it to heart and made some changes to the detection. I hope the game is more enjoyable for you now :)
Is it me or are the controls very unresponsive/unreliable? Maybe I'm just bad at the game or my arrow keys are malfunctioning? Well, either way there's clearly a lot of effort put into this game and I love the tracks that are included. As a side note, the general aesthetic and menu designs of the game are very solid and appealing. Keep up the good work!
This game is really nice and funny, i can stay hours playing it!