don't click here

SAGE 2022 - Demo Sonic Momentum Final Alpha

E M O T I O N A L D A M A G E
Edit : I downloaded something for Direct X and it's now working !

Screenshot 2023-06-05 194109.png
Last edited:
I liked it a lot for being an alpha but I have a small problem, when I put the game in full screen in the main menu everything looks fine but when it comes to a level it stretches and the bottom part stays off the screen. Does anyone have a solution to that? (I would play in windowed mode but it's too small to see anything).
Last edited:
Reactions: lifew.vin
Ok so when Im done with the first part of the tutorial it just sends me to the title screen. I know there's another part to it and know I can't progress any farther, please help me :(
Edit: It works! Thanks alot
Last edited:
S
Shadow Fan 2.0
when you are on the tutorial section press right it will change to Tutorial 2 instead of 1
Dracoslayer
Dracoslayer
do the same again to go to tutorial 3 instead of 2
this game is a banger: a few things though: let us reset chaos and let us change sound via settings or in game please.
This game is absolutely amazing. Graphics, on point. Gameplay, absolutely perfect. Music, pure fire. The only issue I have is a very simple and yet incredibly annoying and possibly fatal glitch. For some reason, there's a random chance for the game to treat a controller--or at least, an Xbox controller--'s default jump button as a secondary start button and to read a joystick/D-pad input twice, as well as the jump button, rendering anything you do with it useless or unnecessarily difficult. If you can, please look into this soon. I don't mind using a keyboard all that much, but this is an accessibility issue that I believe should be addressed, as preference may not always be the sole reason for using a controller in other cases, which would make the game unplayable for others. If there is a fix to this, please let me know. (Also, on the title screen, the game is listed as 1.3.0 instead of 1.4.0. Did I download the wrong file, or is that an oversight? I can't tell.)

Edit: I checked with other controllers. The problem resides with all of them, not just Xbox.
Last edited:
A
AcelYagami
On my Playstation 4 controller, all I can use is the joystick and the D-pad. I can't jump.
I've been speedrunning this Alpha a bunch since I got my hands on it. Some of the controls changed from the last alpha I played and it took some getting used to, but I adapted and that's essentially one of my only complaints.

What I love most about this game is that it puts one thing at the forefront that's always been a running theme in the series: mastery. The new moveset(s) takes a lot to adapt, and that's the point. (Granted, it's really not TOO hard. If I figured it out, anyone can. I'm awful at video games.) If it feels sluggish at all, it's because you're not playing well and/or you're not used to the moveset.
But that leads to my only other other concern: It's probably not the most accessible. Less skilled players will be beaten down by the slower pace from not playing well, which I think could discourage them a lot from playing this style. Granted, I think this is way more of a preference thing; some people like difficult games, some don't. So I won't let that detract from the score.

Overall though, love this game. Especially Sonic's gameplay, of course. I love being able to chain moves together to mow down enemies at an incredible pace. It's hard to get the hang of, but that's what makes it so satisfying to pull off. Plus, I enjoyed Tails and Knuckles FAR more than I thought I would, which is saying a lot. I've been following this game a while, and I will keep doing so. Keep it up, Mr. Bane.

(But you removed the sonic rush music 0/10)
Reactions: BraskMD
DJroscurro
DJroscurro
(2/3)
However, that was just my experience. So I can entirely understand your frustrations. Especially with the tutorial. I almost forgot about how long it was, and I agree it could be handled differently. (Thinking about it I'm nearly considering bringing my score to a 4/4.5 from that alone.) You can give it another shot if you like, but from the sound of it I dunno if it's for you. I'm glad my words at least had you considering a 2nd chance, though.

And finally, thanks for being respectful about it. The internet could use more civil discourse.
DJroscurro
DJroscurro
3/3

P.S

Gameplay tips as a bonus in case you do give it another shot:

When rolling into an egg pawn (aka the only enemies that get knocked around), you can hold the jump button upon impact to hit em multiple times and kill them. (I think this was shown in the tutorial but given how tedious the tutorial is and what you mentioned in your review, it was probably missed.)

When Sonic dashes into an enemy, he regains all of his air mobility options. So when the enemy is launched into the air, sonic can perform the double jump and air dash in quick succession to hit them again. Repeat, and you can mow them down in less than a second.

And finally, Sonic has two air dashes for each jump. You can cancel your dash out by using a double jump to gain height, and you get your dash back.
Some SAGE Enthusiast
Some SAGE Enthusiast
Thank you for the tips, I will keep them in mind when playing the game again.
Sonic Momentum is fun and complex, your rewarded for improved reflexes and for memorizing the levels the more you play! Each character has there own states and uses! Tails is great for exploring, Knuckles is fantastic tor fighting baddies and Sonic is a mixture of the two but he is also the hardest to control and learn. the game features a double ranking system where your ranked on both time and rings though the requirement for S rank on rings seems pretty high with the player having to get 150+ rings to obtain it, the controls are complex and are pretty tough to master and it took some practice before I got a handle on them, but when I did the speed and gameplay was fast and fun! I would like to point out a few things though, the homing attack is kind of odd, sometimes it would randomly cancel out while other times it worked perfectly, I also feel that there should be a way to run across water when you gain enough speed or use the super peel out, and finally the menu for setting your controls could use a rework, having a way to completely wipe the controls settings and then set each control as you see fit would help greatly. The game looks and sounds amazing with a very unique style and flashy UI which I really enjoyed and the levels we have are a blast! I also loved the tutorial level which helped me get accustom to the controls of the game but I do feel that the tutorial should be optional and not a requirement before playing the main game, maybe having a pop up message appear that states "Hey! before you play the main game you should probably try out the tutorial first!" In short the game looks great, sounds great, and is lots of fun! but this is not a sonic game that you can pick up and immediately do well in but rather it will require practice and patience in order to get the best out of it!
I really wanted to like this game, and I mean it. I don't exaggerate when I think this game is just straight-up bad.

There is one word that describes this game's controls perfectly: Unintuitive.
I've found myself always performing an air dash instead of a double jump, because I'm just used to games tieing their double jump to the same damn button that makes you do the regular jump; although I admit this might be a personal issue.
Speaking of the air dash, I've found it to be extremely unreliable to start combos. More often than not, I will perform an air dash to hit an enemy, just to fly over it instead.
The charged homing attack isn't very pleasant to use either, since it takes way too long to charge.
The most reliable attack in the game is the spindash, since you can just press down while walking and then just keep turning around. It is very cheesy and won't give you a good style ranking, but I can't be assed to try anything else when it always results in me not hitting the enemy and running straight into their attacks almost every time.

And it's not only the combat that feels unintuitive, the overall movement is as well. Playing this game feels like walking in the streets with an abusive father that holds your arm with a painfully hard grip and drags you around to make sure you won't stay a centimeter away from him.
When you jump from a spring, your entire movement is locked until you reach the peak of your height. Whenever you land from a jump, Sonic does a landing animation and you can't jump until it's finished. You cannot jump while looking up for absolutely no goddamn reason. Jumping while having the miminal amount of speed accumulated feels like playing Super Mario Bros. 1 all over again; no, this is not a compliment. If you're jumping left, you cannot turn around while in mid-air, the best you can do is barely reduce your speed. If you jump while standing still, Sonic will barely speed up when jumping, forcing you to always jog a notch before jumping. It felt terrible in Sonic Unleashed/Generations and it feels terrible here.

And then there's the tutorial. It's awful. Stopping every time you see a speech sign to see information about the game being explained in an unnecessarily slow-paced fashion is extremely tedious. I did not read every single speech bubble, and I'm not ashamed of admmiting that, because if I did so, completing the tutorial might as well have taken twice as long to finish as that infamous Sonic Heroes tutorial with Omochao interrupting you every five seconds. Ever thought about that? Also, thanks for making playing the tutorial mandatory, jerk.

The only thing I can praise about the game is the presentation. The game looks gorgeous. But that's all there is to it. Seeing the trailers is exciting and cool. Actually playing the game yourself is painful.

With all of that said, how can the game be improved?

First of all, the controls. Give the player more control over their air momentum. Allow players to go left and right freely while in mid-air. Don't lock the player's controls during specific animations, it's unnecessary and it just make the controls feel restrictive and unsatisfying. Map the double jump to the jump button, or at least make it a toggle, for crying out loud. Instead of making the homing attack something you need to charge, just make the air dash work as a homing attack when enemies are nearby, just like EVERY OFFICIAL SONIC GAME. Increase the height the double jump gives you if you decide to tap it instead of holding it.

Simplify the combat a bit more. If you want players to enjoy your combat, a great way to do it is to make the combat be extremely simple and intuitive for first-time players, and then you add several *optional* movement options that give players a large variety of abilities to master over the course of the game.
You could make so you can defeat enemies by spamming homing attack (preferrably without needing to charge it), but also give the player extra moves that can be chained to either get extra height, speed and/or higher style ranks. This is a concept that's already somewhat present in the game, but what's missing is that surface-level simplicity I'm talking about. Playing the game as a first-time player is not intuitive, and it truly feels like you need to master all of the game's mechanics so you can then START having fun.

As for the tutorial: Do not try to explain information through text unless absolutely necessary. The most pleasant tutorials are those where you don't feel like you're reading an instruction manual to play the game, but rather just let you play the game while its mechanics are being explained through context. If you absolutely NEED text to explain something, do it like any other Sonic game, and give the player a speech orb that gives them a short text that doesn't interrupt gameplay in any shape or form when touched.
ULTRAKILL is a great example of all of what I've just said. The game tells you how to slide, dash and damage enemies while close to them to regain health, but all of this information is conveyed through text that doesn't interrupt gameplay. The game eventually tells you that you can charge your Revolver, and the text that tells you that appears when you reach a room with a glass floor. The game doesn't have to separately tell you that you need a charged shot to break the glass floor, and the developer confirmed the room has specifically a glass floor instead of a glass wall so players can be fully aware of the idea they can break some floors with the pistol, and then you can figure out on your own you can take advantage of that to kill large groups of enemies by shooting the floor they're standing on, throwing them into a bottomless pit.

And I think that's all. I really hope this game improves, because it has potential. But it will need a little bit more than just good presentation to really be a good game.
Last edited:
Reactions: Sonic Stalker
16_bit_Retro64
16_bit_Retro64
Question, How can you tell between the three chaos what their stats are?
Thatonedudecalledfluff
Thatonedudecalledfluff
So what do I do about this?

D3DXCompile failed - result

at gml_Object_objMainMenu_Draw_0
############################################################################################
Mairc
Mairc
For everyone who having this error :

D3DXCompile failed - result

at gml_Object_objMainMenu_Draw_0
############################################################################################
Just install this for Direct X
Oh man, I'm gonna be one of those people huh? Didn't enjoy the core gameplay here. It feels like you have too much to learn and not in a good way. Forcing you to complete a long-ass tutorial was brutal. I felt burnt out already after finishing it because of how much it forced me to complete certain segments with Sonic's features that felt unneeded. Sonic also feels too heavy to turn around. The idea itself that you have to learn that much to be good in the game is not a good game design by itself. I like the game's art style and music choice though.
Kan The Hedgehog
Kan The Hedgehog
Looks like windows 10 isn't that good I thought I wish I bought windows 11
Dima064
Dima064
I also use Windows 10 though
Kan The Hedgehog
Kan The Hedgehog
I think I actually needed to update my WINDDOWS 10 as my brother said