don't click here

Sonic Islands (SAGE 2018 Demo)

love
Reactions: sanic da heg
Looks great, but my computer is weird with .rar files. Any chance you can make a zip file?
It's showing a 27.5 MB file to download... is that right???
N
NewPCReady
I think so
Sonic Islands reminds me of Sonic Lost World a lot, but with more improvements! The "momentum" is something that has been missing in some modern Sonic games ( a lot of people have said that already).I really like the concept, world design, but I found the wall technnique annoying and I think the spin dash should be a little bit more faster and instead of just crouch with the left mouse and space, it can be with just one input/button. Also, maybe ( just maybe) the animals collection should not be something so mandatory to continue the stage, but that is my personal experience and point of view.
Really looking for this project in the future!
Reactions: Liam_Overbeck
L
Luizmg59
how i transform to super sonic
I could tell just from the start of the preview that a lot of care was put into this!
Reactions: Liam_Overbeck
Just a disclaimer, I viewed this game in a let's play, and it looks like an official sonic sub-spin off. But I never played it myself because I don't think there is a mac port. so when I play the game, I am going to make another review, in case you were wondering, if I had WINDOWS, then I probably would give it a better rating, but I am a mac gamer.
this is supposed to be an entry in the sonic amature game expo? Lies. This here is professional grade work my dear sir. Keep it up.
I'm a huge fan of the physics system, right down to the subtle feeling of weight sonic has. You can turn sharp if you want to, but you may lose speed if you're not careful.

In my opinion, this feeling of sharp control mixed with a sense of weight is what the sonic franchise has been missing for a while now.

One issue I had is that the button combos were a tad un-intuitive. For example, why is bounce 'hold curl + tap action' when it could just be its own button? I understand not wanting to add too many different buttons, but I don't think jump, curl, and action cover all the bases.
(When trying to gain maximum height against a wall, which uses bounce, wall run, wall jump, and aerial dash commands repeatedly, the inputs are confusing when constantly switching combinations of the same 3 buttons)

Either way, that's just a personal preference. I really loved exploring the physics in this demo and I can't wait to see what you do next with these concepts.
Reactions: Appleboy
The game is a great free roam/open world adventure!
I like all the abilities chosen, they feel good + natural to control. The one issue, though: I don't like how you have to hold a button to slide down/jump off a wall - esp since it's the same button you use to ready a drop dash in midair. I feel clinging to a wall that you collide with should be your natural state, disabled by prepping a DD. Slamming headfirst into a wall will stop your momentum, so it wouldn't throw anyone off. Homing attack is good tho, long-range to compensate for high speeds and keeps momentum well. I wish the wall jump, homing attack, etc were base abilities and not unlocked, but I get wanting to introduce that gradually. Slope physics feel nice! I feel ascending was a bit generous, but there's never a moment of just walking up a wall, so that generosity works really well as it lets you get in position to roll. Oh, and the camera REALLY doesn't like letting you look up. But overall, it was a load of fun to mess around in!
As the title said! I loved this! I really like that you can upgrade your emeralds and that they gain you mew abilities! And omfg I love the flicky mechanic aswell. Just wish camera and more movement options could be added! Still wanna give this an 10/10 cause I want more!
Really had a good time playing around in this, speeding around the level felt really good and I did enjoy exploring the stage. It is a good example of what can be done with the blue hedgehog. Also the music is good and the level looks nice.

Now while I enjoyed my time with this there are a few issues I have.

Review.jpg

Regardless of those things I am really looking forward to seeing what you can do with this in the future.
Reactions: Steve Taylor
I feel like this is one of the better open world games, even though it's not 100% open world. I had fun exploring and finding all the hidden flickies and emeralds. The concept of emeralds and powering up is also nice... but was the game supposed to have some kind of ending? I feel like I got trapped in an test area or something.
Steve Taylor
Steve Taylor
Glad you had fun, and thanks for trying it out! Yeah the terrain below is really just padding, the demo *technically* ends after you open the second ring barrier :P

The R button on the keyboard respawns you with all your abilities though, if you wanted to run back through the level with a new perspective
After messing around in this demo for probably over 6 hours I can safely say that this is an excellent example of how Sonic's gameplay can be translated into 3D. The physics feel fantastic, the generation and loss of momentum works just as I expect and Sonic feels good to control at high speeds thanks in part to the drifting mechanic. The level itself feels really nice to just run around in, and the simple act of exploration is rewarded in a satisfying way. Great work, this is amazing.
Here's a screenshot of the full review since I went over the word limit:

https://prnt.sc/kn3h8e

TL;DR: Cool concepts but the controls and button layout hold it back.
This is literally, without even exaggerating the Sonic game that I see in my dreams. No joke, this is really great, I've been dreaming for a game like this for a really long time, and here's the proof that it exists! So glad someone made it, it's so bad it's not an actual official game... The controls, the aesthetics, everything is so cartoony, it feels like it's the actual Sonic Lost World great sequel, and to me Sonic Lost World is good, so this demo really makes me feel like I'm not playing a fangame! Ok maybe some people won't think this, but really, don't hesitate and try it. Your mind will be blown off.
This is so fun to run around and platform in. It's nice and fast like sonic should be, but also controls amazingly. My only problems with it is there isnt much stage (but thats prob because its a demo lol), and the animal collecting gimmick which can get kinda boring to me.
even better than the first Demo, I do miss the old model used in that one though.