SAGE 2021 - Demo Sonic Hoshi (2021 Demo)

Overview

Sonic Hoshi is a FanMade game of Sonic which goes inbetween the story of Sonic 2 and Sonic 3. The story goes like this:

After the destruction of the Death Egg in West Side Island, and the destruction of the Death Egg Robot, Sonic falls into a new island which he wasn't familiar with. That is the "Star Island", moments after his arrival at the island, he loses all power from the chaos emeralds, he also notices a lack of rings and a huge presence of badniks. Behind the scenes, Eggman collected a huge amount of rings from the island, to activate an extremely powerful stone in the island known as the "Celestial Star", which is hidden at the "Secret Shrine". The consequences of activating the star is giving extreme power to whoever activated it. Sonic and Tails, together will activate "Celestial Star" before Eggman does, to stop his plans.

The game is made for PC only, and Sonic and Tails are playable (as separate characters)

Controls:

Window-
F3 - Minimize
F4 - FullScreen/Windowed
F5 - Close Game
Click and Drag the game to move the window. (Windowed only)

Gameplay-
A/S - Action
Enter - Confirm
Arrow Keys - Movement

This demo includes:
Spring Shore Act 1/2
Mystic Mine Act 1/2

WELP, thats it, have fun and if you find any glitch feel free to post it in the comments :P

Media

Updates

what updates.

Credits

NicoSwitch - Programming, Level Design, Sprites, Music.
SpookyGuga - Programming, Sprites.
Rosabelle - Character Sprites.
Hazel - Testing.

Contributors:
Banty - Title Screen Render
DweebyParadox - Promo Logo
Dolphman - Misc Sprites

Latest reviews

Really great game with an authentic classic Sonic feel. And I love the render in the beginning.
Amazing game! The star dash is really fun to use, also, where can I find the soundtrack?
Now that's a surprise. If I had to sum up this game, it would be "usual late 2000s Sonic hacks and fangames combined"... and that's absolutely great. The game manages to replicate that exact feel extremely well while still having quite an identity of it's own, and I love how the water zone isn't just your usual romp of "make the player run above the water and beat the zone in a few seconds" - instead, it's Labyrinth-inspired and just plain fun. The giant ring system is a bit odd - I've managed to fill the first star with 50 rings, and then found like 6 giant rings in the demo after that - but they were all deactivated. The bosses are absolutely great - each one of them is fun to fight and feels fitting for where it is in the game. The music and visuals are pretty good aswell, especially the animated Sonic 3 title screen. Overall, this game is probably my favorite Sonic game on SAGE2021 - it's charming, it's fun and it stands out from the rest. Brilliant job!
NicoSwitch
NicoSwitch
Thank you so much! Means a lot to me. The big ring stuff is not done yet, so I decided to only make 1 work just so you guys can have a little look at whats coming, I quite like the mysterious vibe of it. And yep! Thats exactly what we were aiming for! I always loved old school Sonic stuff.
Reactions: Knight

Comments

Great looking fangame! But your logo needs work. It looks like you typed "HOSHI" into a katakana keyboard and came out with クラトクニ, which reads as "kuratokuni" (not a real word). The symbol you're looking for is 星, which reads as "hoshi" (star).

Great looking fangame! But your logo needs work. It looks like you typed "HOSHI" into a katakana keyboard and came out with クラトクニ, which reads as "kuratokuni" (not a real word). The symbol you're looking for is 星, which reads as "hoshi" (star).
thanks for pointing it out! will be changed.

Honestly these are quite good iterations of Green Hill Zone and Labyrinth Zone! There's enough use of springs and zone gimmicks to keep the player paying attention instead of heading mindlessly right, and the badniks never seem unfairly placed, though one of the Labryrinth badniks felt maybe too hard to spot. The last boss could have telegraphed its attacks more but otherwise they seemed like a good variety of encounters and well programmed. Backgrounds were fine and the wavy water effect looked good. Generally I had a fine time playing this, but what I'd really like to see would be more focus on the Star Dash, which looks like it should be the game's main feature... except the levels don't seem to require it at all. I went back and beat the first two acts again without using it once, just to be sure that I could. I understand it's hard to design levels where the player has to pay really close attention to the layout in search of places to dash to, given a Sonic game's small resolution, but it's still worth trying, because that's what looks like it has the most potential to distinguish this from any other classic Sonic fangame. The dash feels great to use (though maybe add diagonals?), so give it more attention.

Honestly these are quite good iterations of Green Hill Zone and Labyrinth Zone! There's enough use of springs and zone gimmicks to keep the player paying attention instead of heading mindlessly right, and the badniks never seem unfairly placed, though one of the Labryrinth badniks felt maybe too hard to spot. The last boss could have telegraphed its attacks more but otherwise they seemed like a good variety of encounters and well programmed. Backgrounds were fine and the wavy water effect looked good. Generally I had a fine time playing this, but what I'd really like to see would be more focus on the Star Dash, which looks like it should be the game's main feature... except the levels don't seem to require it at all. I went back and beat the first two acts again without using it once, just to be sure that I could. I understand it's hard to design levels where the player has to pay really close attention to the layout in search of places to dash to, given a Sonic game's small resolution, but it's still worth trying, because that's what looks like it has the most potential to distinguish this from any other classic Sonic fangame. The dash feels great to use (though maybe add diagonals?), so give it more attention.
Hey! Glad you had a fun time playing this, but id disagree with you on some things. First, these are not iterations of green hill and labyrinth?..Sure, the first level has a common theme in Sonic first levels, but its like calling Emerald Hill or Palmtree Panic a Green Hill iteration, I didnt reuse any asset or gimmick for Green Hill in that level, I can understand Mystic Mine for the visuals, but still, the gimmicks and everything makes it feel like a completely different level. Regarding the Star Dash: Its not supposed to be necessary, its supposed to be something that helps you getting faster, the cooldown makes it be strategic, instead of spamming to get speed you wait for the right moment to use it to either get good speed in a section, or get to a secret, or damage the boss, correct a wrong move etc. Its alredy quite op, adding diagonals would be a little too much. Eitherway im glad you enjoyed, thats just what I think.

Last edited:
Love this demo!!! nice aesthetics and the feeling of a genesis game is here as well.
are you guys interested on 2d artwork for Hoshi? contact me on discord if you want! Yeiko#5518

see ya later

Item information

Added by
NicoSwitch
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.60 star(s) 5 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games