SAGE 2020 - Complete Sonic GT

Holy scrambled eggs, this game is awesome. The music is more ambient (and sometimes like the final boss i don't think that it matches well with what is happening in the screen) and less active, and the presentation in some areas aren't as polished as other parts. Trick system being stars that spin and change colors like in burnout games was great, the after images that indicates that your going fast is a great touch and the particles are well integreated in the world (some of them reflecting in the materials, great stuff), but the menus and some aspects of the hud didn't delivered as well for me (persona, sonic adventure reimagined and sonic heroes really spoiled me in this regard). Level designe dope, really fitting with the gameplay and lots of fun to run through (run and build speed through the stages really put me in the mood to skateboard again), and the gameplay might be the best we had in sonic games (but i really missed tails, although i know he would break some of the stages). Voice acting is very good, most of the voice lines and the actual voices really fitting with the characters (gotta give eggman props, he's great). The only thing i could criticize more is the length, because the game is so good i wanted more lol. Now I'm excited to what Greedy can do next.
Let me just tell you guys: THIS IS THE BEST SONIC GAME EVER!

Presentation: 10/10 Rings

This fan game looks and feels professional. I cannot give Greedy enough credit for all of the little things. The level intros, the results screens, everything. It just feels like something a professional company would make, not a few people as a hobby project. Great job. The only problem I had is that the ... on the song titles should be before the "for."

Story: 7/10 Rings
There are some great things about the story. For one, it's simple. It doesn't try to get too serious or important. It's just a fun story that could fit in just about anywhere in a "Sonic canon" timeline (not that they're's much of a cohesive series canon to refer to). I personally liked the humor, although it was the type that might drive some players away. Unfortunately, the story also has some downsides. For some reason, Sonic really hates Shadow now, even though in the past Sonic have may have even considered Shadow a friend, or at least nothing worse than a punching bag for lame jokes. It's completely out of the blue and uncharacteristic of Sonic (not to mention some of the Voice Acting when Sonic is complaining is... not as good as the rest, which I like). It's a charming story though, and one that I enjoyed for the most part.

Gameplay: INFINITY OUT OF 10 CHILI-DOGS!!!!!
Physics: Amazing. Characters are easy to control and have movesets which complement the game, other than Shadow's Chaos Kick, which unfortunately sucks out all of your momentum. Rolling down hills to gain speed feels SO SATISFYING, and the trick system is perfect when you need just a little bit of extra height. Level design: Amazing. The levels don't get you turned around, while still feeling incredibly open and free. You may end up missing that jump onto that perfect route on your first time through, but remember for next time you play the level and make that jump to halve your time. There are so many perfect opportunities to build speed, and finding the route that lets you build the most speed is incredibly satisfying. If you know how to traverse the level, you are always either running at immense speeds or flying through the air to make that gap jump. Music: Amazing. Although I wish it would be louder by default, the music tracks for this game are great, my favorites being the main theme, Ocean Paradise and Hill Top. I cannot possibly give enough praise to the gameplay.

In conclusion, you are crazy to have not played this game already. You have not lived until you have played Sonic GT. What are you waiting for?
xinconety
xinconety
honest opinion
best 3d fangame I have ever played: I give it a 10
Reactions: WarpSonic
This game is honestly incredible!

PROS

-The level design is great and keeps you trying to get better and better

-There is a lot of variety in the characters (they are each fun to play in their own way too)

-The characters are (for the most part) pretty well balanced

-The controls never give you a hard time

-The game rewards you with new characters and faster times

-The story is presented in a great way (those renders are amazing)

-The voice acting is pretty awesome!

CONS

-The boss fights aren't the best (The flying one was a pain but I have heard that they have balanced that fight)

-Shadow is a cool character but his Chaos Kick attack is a bit underpowered since it completely halts your momentum and just sends you high into the air (This is a tiny little nitpick and it really doesn't matter that much. I just mentioned it because everything else is so great.)

CONCLUSION

Why wouldn't you get this game? It is easily one of the best sonic fangames created (up there with Sonic Robo Blast 2). This game is incredible and a must play for any sonic fan!
Es lo mejor que he podido probar de un juego de Sonic tiene todo lo que necesita un juego veloz y de aventuras y plataformas.
Es la máxima experiencia de un Sonic de cualquier tipo
Reactions: xinconety
WarpSonic
WarpSonic
oookay... go to advanced settings and make sure everything is to the lowest maybe? You could probably lower render scale more than lowest preset.
WarpSonic
WarpSonic
I have a great PC so I run Super settings so idk
I
ImaSonicFan123
well it runs smooth kinda but it runs SOOOOOOOOOOOO slow like a snail
This would be damn near perfect if you took the rubberbanding from the Tails races and removed it, then applied it to the mole boss at the end of Hill Top
Mr. V
Mr. V
It'd be blerrie brilliant if there was a linux-friendly version
PROS:

Level Design: It was a bit hard to tell if you were going in the right direction in the levels from the previous demo, but these newly designed levels completely fixes that issue. There are multiple paths to take in every level that heavily encourage you to go as fast as possible. You can go insanely fast if you take the right path, and if you mess up the game doesn't overly punish you with bottomless pits or spikes like a lot of Sonic fan games tend to do. Overall, the level design is great and well thought out. Easily some of the best levels in any Sonic fan game.

Character Variety: Each character has their own advantages and disadvantages which helps improve the replay value. They each control pretty well and their models are well made. I'm kind of struggling to find the right descriptors, but just take my word for it.

Multiple Gamemodes: Pretty self-explanatory. The variety of gamemodes like Time Attack really boost the replayability.

Visuals: The graphics in this game are pretty good with good lighting, shaders, textures, and post-processing effects. The trail characters leave behind them when going fast is also a nice addition.

Performance: I have a GTX 1070 Ti and an i7-8700k, so my PC is a little overkill for this game. Still, the framerate is pretty stable, and levels load pretty quickly (even on an HDD). I have not experienced a single crash, either. The game just runs exceptionally well for a 3D fan game.

Music/Audio: Each song services the levels pretty well with a decent variety of instruments used. The mixing of the audio is fairly good, too. Nothing is overly loud and nothing drowns out the music or other sound effects. The audio quality for the voice actors could use a little work, but it's good enough for a free fan game.

NEUTRAL:

Physics/Movement: I put this here because the physics and movement in this game can either be really good or REALLY bad. Sometimes it works very well allowing you to build up momentum pretty quickly (pun not intended), but at other times you will clip through walls if you go too fast. The levels also don't seem to be made with wall jumping in mind, so I have no idea why that ability is in the game. The wall running works great, though.

(kinda) Unskippable Cutscenes: You can spam the A button on an Xbox controller to make the cutscenes go a little faster, but there is no way to completely skip the cutscenes. It has nothing to do with the quality of the story or the quality of the voice acting, by the way. I just never cared too much for the story in Sonic games and would rather go straight to the next level. Having the option to completely bypass the cutscenes would be nice.

The Menu: Some options in the menu require you to use a mouse. This wouldn't be a problem if I played the game using a mouse and keyboard, but I don't. I use an Xbox controller. The perfect example of this is when you go to toggle things like AA or motion blur. You're unable to toggle these settings with a controller for some reason which seems like a bit of an oversight, but it really isn't that big of a deal. Still, I think this needs to be fixed so people don't have to switch input devices every time they want to change certain settings. Just something to keep in mind.

CONS:

Boss Encounters: The first boss encounter is okay, but the rest of them are annoying to deal with. This is especially apparent with the final boss where you have to wait way too long for an opportunity to strike.

Starting The Levels: I know this is kind of a weird one, but hear me out. There should be a countdown timer or something at the beginning of each level. I think if you disabled movement during the countdown but allowed the charging of the spindash (kind of like revving your car at the beginning of a race), the chances of accidentally launching yourself in a random direction at the beginning of the level will be greatly reduced.

CONCLUSIONS:

This is one of the best Sonic fan games I've played in a while. The amount of momentum you can build up in this game is insane and the levels really encourage you to keep that momentum until the very end (if you're good enough). There aren't any cheap deaths or overly complex levels. The general presentation is pretty good for a fan game (better than most, might I add). Sure, the game isn't perfect, but it has seriously raised the bar for 3D Sonic fan games across the board. Great job!
Last edited:
Pyra's Wolf
Pyra's Wolf
You mean like in Sonic Unleashed when there's a 3-2-1 GO! And you get a good running start?
WarpSonic
WarpSonic
They have timer activation posts in Time Attack. That's good enough for me. The timer can start whenever during the other modes in my opinion, since Time Attack is the main one for speedrunning, but I can see how that might be frustrating in, say, the Tails plane race in Hill Top.
I would like to start by saying that I enjoyed this game and I see a lot of potential in Sonic GT. I can see a lot of work has gone into it. I want to expand further and hope that any of this feedback helps.

the tl;dr
+Level Design
+Presentation
+Enemy Programming
- Bumper Engine's Quirks
- Tutorial
~Writing

Pros
At points I'm genuinely surprised by how well planned out the levels are, given how much the game lets you just fly. There's a lot of height to levels in addition to length, and the pathways always seem to put me back on track even if I get a little lost. Levels feel extensive without being overwhelming. SA elements like ring dashing and rail grinding felt fairly reliable in this iteration which is a huge plus. Maybe homing attack could be made not to work off camera but overall the game functions pretty solidly at this stage.

I also have to commend the badnik designs and how they accommodate for the fact that you will try to avoid them (the motobug chases you and the crabmeats have a pretty good shooting range).

When you're able to just keep the speed going in this game it really has a kinetic energy to it. There's enough stuff to slow you down without it feeling too punishing, and when you do keep the speed up it feels very rewarding. I haven't tried exploring the levels a ton yet but it feels like there is room for that in future playthroughs.

Boss battles are also unique and engaging.

The presentation is nice too. I like the character CGs

Cons
I feel like this game's greatest hurdle is the Bumper Engine itself, and I think these critiques can mostly be traced back to that. There's still some 'jank' to it and I just don't know how correctable it is - maybe you'll be the one to figure it out.

Sonic still feels 'loose' at low speeds. When Sonic goes fast he 'jitters', or the camera is lagging behind. The points where the game forces you to stop and do the dance with badniks does not feel natural. Anything that generally makes me have to fenagle with the camera a lot is something I feel should be mitigated as much as possible when adding elements into your game. I think the camera also points down a little too soon after jumping which makes precision platforming jarring.

While the level design was generally good, the tutorial level felt a bit cramped and I think could be improved upon - maybe try to get more feedback on this.

Also, maybe make the cutscenes skippable.

Other
I wish boss fights offered a bit more wiggle room to make them go along faster, like if I could attack them during animations and stuff. Not really a con but a preference of mine.

While I did praise the presentation, I also have some story critiques, which are super subjective so I don't put it under cons, but it could use some feedback. It feels like that, judging by the presentation, the story is trying to hit the same notes that the post-unleashed era does, which is completely fine. But I'm going to hold it to higher standards for that.

Sonic's animosity and deathwish towards Shadow has shades of Eggman from Lost World - it's just sorta out of nowhere and seems a bit OOC. I don't mind it when a fangame wants to add layers to character dynamics - this is something I think is missing from the mainline series - but it felt like this could use some explaining beforehand, or at least tone down what he's saying. I'm also personally not a fan of overly meta jokes - like Tails mentioning he's not in the title (again, it's something from the mainline series I'm getting tired of).

I think my favorite new element was the characterization of Mighty and Ray. Ray's exchange with Dr. Eggman was probably my favorite cutscene. It did feel like all the characters in the story did share some kind of chemistry and dynamic, so I would just advise to get more feedback on the script for the future and it could be something quite close to the real thing.

Also, I think the voice actors generally did fine, but maybe have them do a few takes with each line. Sometimes delivery was a bit off or mic quality wasn't totally there.

Anyway, I hope this review may be helpful in a small way. And if GT is mostly done at this point, it's still a job well done.
Last edited:
WarpSonic
WarpSonic
Honestly Tails breaking the 4th wall was like the only funny part to me in as much as I've played of it so far (I haven't beaten the Sunset Boulevard boss yet, he was too hard in 1.0.3).
Phenomenal, Absolutely Phenomenal. This is the Sonic experience I've been waiting for and boy does it deliver, first I'd like to mention the level design here as it is some of the best 3d sonic level design to date and speeding through them with all of these characters is an absolute blast, Hill Top being my favorite and Sunset Boulevard being my 2nd, Hill Top Zone really made me realize what I wanted in a Sonic game, exploration and speed.

The story mode is the usual Sonic story and that's perfectly fine and in some cases it made me laugh, Ocean Paradise, Hilltop/Helltop Zone, Sunset Boulevard and Hidden Base are levels perfectly created around the physics, momentum and engine the game utilizes and this definitely show's in Hilltop Zone.

SONIC GT's music perfectly fits the games feel and tone, Hilltop's main theme (Miner's In the Sky) is honestly the most amazing track in this game and TrueChaos, Nuclear, Alongcame Adrian, Luan Maziero, Nebz Shady, and ScrewStache definitely deserve some love for the passion put into this soundtrack.

SONIC GT is a must play experience and is definitely one of the best things to come of Sonic in general in recent years, I truly hope we see more of this game in the future such as DLC or a sequel a few years down the line (5 STARS!)
Last edited:
HHSGaming
HHSGaming
I did indeed gush about hilltop in this... sorry.
WarpSonic
WarpSonic
Don't worry about it Hill Top deserves it.
First and foremost, a HUGE thanks and a round of applause for all who were involved with this project. I expected to see a lot more reviews here, but I'm sure you are well aware that everyone is LOVING this game. You've given us the speed we imagined as children, and a Sonic adventure that never gets old.

This is absolutely the best Sonic game I have ever played! It perfectly demonstrates the speed of the characters/world, and the physics are spectacular! There are challenges for those who seek, and fun, re-playable levels that you can explore or dash through as you please. Thanks for the fix on the flying boss, which I just downloaded the update for, and for an all around FANTASTIC Job!! I'm looking forward to more maps and possibly characters!
*crosses fingers* Silver, Blaze, or even some Riders like skins where we can have fun on hoverboards!

The fans truly appreciate this, and we also appreciate your continued support! YOU ROCK!! I've put at least 20 hours in already XD

A couple of things I noticed about Shadow:

The sound of his skating is a bit bothersome. The sound itself isn't bad, but it could be turned down a bit. On a side note, it also isn't in rhythm with his movements. The others may not be in perfect rhythm either, but with his slower skating stance it stands out a lot. (Sorry to be nitpicky lol)

He also feels marginally slower than the others (while just about as fast as Ray). Ray, I can understand, but I expected Shadow to be able to easily reach/maintain speeds close to Sonic, to whom he's very far off. It's mainly due to the momentum lost during his Chaos kick and the lack of a momentum gaining ability. While cool at first, Chaos Kick is almost useless when speeding through maps and sometimes leaves him in a default standing pose while in the air. Its basically a trick that offers no momentum. Every other character (minus Ray) can use their ability create momentum, but he has to rely on rails and slopes to increase his speed. (Ray actually still has a very fun and useful glide ability, and can even use it for a skillful dive, without suffering the momentum loss of a bounce.)

Just throwing ideas out there, maybe after the hit there could be a slowed down moment (a second or two in real life) where he can adjust his position in the air and land with some type of speed boost (akin to the drop dash)? Perhaps if the user holds the jump button during it, the "recoil jump" goes higher (similar to a normal bounce), allowing them to do a shorter hop into a boost if preferred. While holding to jump higher, he can carefully choose the next target while slowed in the air. This way, he becomes a character who can truly capitalize off of kills. Something like this would make me utilize the ability more, contrary to now where I have to avoid using it in order to keep momentum.

I also wouldn't mind the Chaos kick working on items/bounce pads either! With the above suggestions, it'd make people use it all the time! The only issue I could imagine (not to say there aren't others) would be folks cheesing it to get better times, although they'd need something to kick.

Thoughts?
Wolfshadowj
Wolfshadowj
I agree with you on shadow. His ground speed is about the same as sonic's and his instant homing attack is cool but his chaos kick does need a buff
Absolutely amazing game. The momentum-based physics make every second of the gameplay fast and exhilarating. The levels are amazingly designed and the graphics are stunning. Not to mention the music is great as well, which is pretty much a given for a Sonic game. It's just shocking to me how great this game is for a price tag of $0 and a 1GB download. Definitely give it a try if you want to have a fun time.
xinconety
xinconety
no se pueden guardar los datos
S
SonikkuZ
Whenever I delete and download the game again, it leaves me off where I previously was at. The reason why I need to know is because I was recording but forgot my mic was off for half the recording sadly.
xinconety
xinconety
pues la proxima vez que grabes algo , revisa si todo esta preparado