SAGE 2021 - Complete Sonic Classic 2

Overview

Screenshot 2021-09-06 195146.png

NEW HOTFIX AVAILABLE IN UPDATES IN THE DRIVE LINK!!!

Sonic Classic 2 is a 2D fangame that is a sequel to Sonic Classic by Hez which will include:
  • Brand New Levels
  • 4 playable characters (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Fang)
  • New unique gimmicks
  • Customizable shields
  • SC1 revamped levels
  • Online Play
  • Extras & More!
SC2(3).png
SC2(4).png
SC2(5).png
SC2(6).png
SC2(7).png

Updates

Sonic Classic 2 Drive link This link
Sonic Classic 2 Glitch Document THIS IS A DOCUMENT THAT YOU CAN ADD GLITCHES YOU FIND TO
MAJOR FIXES BELOW

• Space Chase soft-lock while respawning at a checkpoint fixed
  • Final Boss tweaked to resolve soft locks. The timer has also been adjusted
  • Murky Mines Boss changed. Platform enlarged by 32 pixels, along with rocks on another side of the boss being able to be smashed, putting the player back on the platform. The bomb also no longer sprays particles.
  • Super Sonic Palette fixed for Sonic and Tails mode
  • Added animations to the switch activated pillars in Murky Mines
  • Murky Mines respawning issues (hopefully) addressed Fangs Ammo Bar moves during boss now Fang fixed in Murky Mines Time ends after defeating the boss (this may not be the case for one or two I missed)
  • Tails assist added (I'm only one person though, so let me know if it bugs anything. I only tested the first level)
  • Title Screen Graphics revamped by Bennascar
  • Fixed some Knuckles Gliding issues
  • Fixed some issues in the unlockables screen (These are still in a testing phase though, so some modes may break a normal run-through. Note it in the bugs if it does)
  • Added safeguards to special stages (If you are out of bounds it will put you back in) Fixed various badniks for pause menu
  • Shield Storage system tweaked by Chopp EXPERIMENTAL
  • Online Mode 8 player limit removed.
  • Various items tweaked for online mode
  • The file size is also bigger because it has all soundtracks now.

Credits

Producer
Hez

Sound and Music
Karl Brueggemann
Sean Evans
NoveltyMan

1200 POWER Team
DJ Chidow
DDProd
ScrewStache
Vadell Gabriel
S.K. Fusion
MiSHiKiS

Sprites and Background
Hez
DerZocker
Flare
Dolphman
Bennascar
PWMan
Joshyflip
Jon SpeedArts
Rosabelle
Kast

Programming
Hez
Damizean
Nihil
Yonatankr

Beta Testers
Darkd04
Xeluc777D20s
Spitfya
Stritix
StephenUK
Djohe
Aerosol
Stormislandgal
ScarlyNight
Redhotsonic
Shadow MasterX5
Heraga
Sparks
LilacChips
Kast

Special Thanks
Redhotsonic
Shadow MasterX5
Lord Zeoinx
Tales499
StellarStardust
Megaspit
Jaco
Lu9
Tom Hale
Dee Liteyears
Tydany
Chopp
Lighto
And you of course

Latest reviews

I have been playing the first part for 10 years and I am very happy that it finally has a sequel.
Not long ago I finished it and it seems very well done, however sometimes I notice a bug that does not want to jump and unexpected closings.
Anyway, a great sequel.
The game, is amazing! I loved it a lot throughout the whole thing, did all chaos emeralds with Sonic and Tails together. The game has some issues though. Such as the many bugs within the game, for example every time I went super sonic would be blue. Another bug was in Space Chase zone act 1 where after leaving a bonus stage I got softlocked and even restarting didn't help. I had to restart the exe and redo some of the level. Other than that I noticed no bonus stage music too. Overall I had a great time with the music, level design (except Murky Maze), and sprite work. It was a great game but a hotfix/patch to fix some of the issues would be awesome!
I just finished the entire game and got all emeralds. Honestly, I'd say this is leagues better quality than the first game, and that one was already really good. Shield switching (and recovery?) is an excellent feature I've never seen in a Sonic game before. Level design is incredibly fun (except Murky Mines, but that's more a nitpick about its boss). The bosses are really inventive and interactive. The art and sprite work is amazing. Tying the Drop Dash to Sonic's momentum is genius and works really well. The shields are unique and cool to use, especially the electromagnet(?) One thing I'd like to see is a Super Sonic cancel and the ability to curl into a ball while in the air.

With some bug fixes and tweaks to certain features, this will go down in history as the best classic Sonic game I've ever played by a long shot. Especially if they end up putting in the levels from the first Sonic Classic, because I enjoyed those a lot as well. And I'll enjoy them even more with the given improvements of this sequel. I know game development takes a while. But my gosh I hope this gets finished. It's incredible. Highlight of SAGE 2021 for me.
Last edited:
S
SG4323
I got a question: If I keep the save game I did so far, will the game work if I add it in a fixed (hotfix) version of the game?
S
Sonicmasterxyz
No idea, I'm not one to mess with files. You could probably ask the devs though. I've been playing the Day 1 version.

Comments

This Game like to just hang on a black screen everytime something loads for like a minute or 2 on my desktop.

Lazy of making an actual whole in depth review about it but
Why can't Tails grab you and fly, making him useless again?

And the title screen is, just like the first game, a 16-bit version of a title screen sprite of a Sonic Game Gear game.

Overall, theres so many bugs and inconsistencies, and i wish i could show them all, but overall its a fun little game!

Edit: I just got hit by fire while using the Flame Shield, does this mean the game has no elemental shield protection?

Edit 2: Also heres some highlights of Sonic Classic 2 bugs i have encountered.

Attachments

Last edited:
So... I don't know if it's just me, but some levels have some really bad frame rates. The game ran at 40-45 fps in the second level and 45-50 in the fourth level. Could it be my CPU? I have an i5-7730HQ. What are the minimum requirements?

Just beat the game with all emeralds with Tails

biggest bug i experienced which is highly game breaking, final boss is near unbeatable, sometimes after he pops back up, he'll completely freeze and do nothing forcing me to restart stage, other times he'll reach 0 hits but wont die, the 0 hits thing also can happen on "next" part, took me 10+ tries of restarting to actually beat him.

Other than that it was a mostly solid experience and is up there as the best fangame i've ever played, i was loving every moment of it!, stellar work, it was certainly worth the wait!

Some other small bugs/things i noticed
- some gumball things dont work, rings gumball doesnt give anything for example, but i imagine the bonus stages in general just arent fully done?

- Tails ending gave a "Try Again" even tho i had all the emeralds

- Sonic Classic 1 isn't playable, wasnt it suppose to be included in this release? i'm guessing it got removed as it wasnt ready?

- Some of Tails sprites are messed up, with the tails disappearing or appearing infront of him

thats all i can remember off the top of my head, if i find anything else ill post here, above all this game is fantastic and i recommend everyone play it, felt like playing Mania for the first time again

EDIT: Oh!, Challenges also dont give you any points to spend, not sure if thats also something thats not ready

Last edited:
I'd like to report 3 bugs during my Sonic playthrough.
First bug I found is that when you lose your shield, it's still in the shield inventory meaning I could switch back to it after the invincibility frames.
Second bug is after I failed special stage 3 multiple times, the game started to just warp me out instantly each time I entered that special stage.
Last bug is regarding the final boss:
I got him down to the final 2 hits but out of nowhere the boss just stopped moving and I couldn't jump on his hands anymore. I tried a restart but it stopped again on the last 4 hits

For those who are concerned about the bugs, THERE WILL BE A HOTFIX COMING IN UPDATES. I and Hez are making notes and I'm going to release a hot fix in a day or two for a lot of major ones. (It literally said about it in the disclaimer)

Last edited:
control layouts dont seem to save when closing the game. is there any way to save them manually or

For those who are concerned about the bugs, THERE WILL BE A HOTFIX COMING IN UPDATES. I and Hez are making notes and i'm going to release a hot fix in a day or two for a lot of major ones. (It literally said about it in the disclaimer)View attachment 14480
i think everyone is aware of this disclaimer, everyone is posting in the comments due to "you may experience gameplay glitches and you are encouraged to report them" we are merely reporting what we've experienced, completely understand that these things happen

regardless, glad to hear a hotfix coming!! cant wait to playthrough again with another character :)

the first time i couldn't play the game well , my fps is always 24 and the game is very slow could yoy make a better optimazed Version?????

I just a did a full online playthrough with a friend, and I got some weird things to show. Pics in order.

-The balloons in Carnival Chaos Act 1 make both players fly up to the ceiling. This one is pretty big as it's hard to avoid, strangely its only Act 1.

-The Mania love tester slot machine in Carnival Chaos Act 2 kills the host. Seems random, happed about 4 times. (Pic 1)

-The other slot machine in Carnival Chaos Act 2 can freeze the host. (Pic 2)

-Somehow we spawned in different Acts in Carnival Chaos Zone. The host was in Act 2, I was I Act 1.

-The lower path water tunnel in Talus Tempest Act 1 constantly broke, causing the host to get stuck. For whatever reason the host couldn't drown either. (Pic 3)

-If you die in Talus Tempest Act1 near the grab ropes, you'll get stuck there and wont be able to die. Happened to player 2 ( Pic 4)

And some random oddities.
We found a Red Hot Sonic mode. Idk if that's meant to be there, my friend found it mashing all triggers a bunch of times. (Pic 5)
We also found a dev looking menu messing around in multiplayer. (Pic 6)
And the game just randomly tells me I unlocked tails for some reason.
Oh and super sonic is blue. Sheesh. (Pic 7)

Attachments

I played this for a bit and found some issues:

- The framerate's not too great in my experience and i find that it tanks considerably in areas with heavy visual effects, such as the save menu, Frozen Fractal, and Carnival Chaos. The rest of the game is playable but a bit slow and not very smooth.

- I got stuck in two special stage ring locations in Murky Mines. One because the way out was blocked by a pillar that wouldn't rise, and the other because the walls that could only be broken by boulders reappeared after i exited the stage.

-The Slot Machine bonus stage has no music and the score counter is glitched.

- The save slot showed that i had gotten all the emeralds even though i had only just gotten the 5th. This only affects the save menu because i still couldn't turn Super.

- I would always find myself slipping off whenever i landed on the edge of a platform as if it were a slope.

So... I don't know if it's just me, but some levels have some really bad frame rates. The game ran at 40-45 fps in the second level and 45-50 in the fourth level. Could it be my CPU? I have an i5-7730HQ. What are the minimum requirements?
at least it doenst run at 20 fps im my case

And the title screen is, just like the first game, a 16-bit version of a title screen sprite of a Sonic Game Gear game.

Overall, theres so many bugs and inconsistencies, and i wish i could show them all, but overall its a fun little game!

Edit: I just got hit by fire while using the Flame Shield, does this mean the game has no elemental shield protection?

Also certain areas of Murky Mines are inescapable after exiting a Special Stage. I think the level as a whole needs a rework...

Attachments

Last edited:
First of all, congratulations for releasing a full game! It's very nice with interesting stages and bosses and among the better Sonic Fangames I played.
Now it's time to polish it up, as it has quite a few bugs and it may need some tweaks in some areas to really shine.

I can't say I enjoy the special stages lifted out of Sonic 1 but this is a personal gripe I have with them.
Additionally I think your version has some problems with the controls. Jumping feels really unreliable as you're often thrown in the opposite direction you want to go and it's not possible to accellerate on the walls by holding a direction like in Sonic 1.

The Boss in Murky Mines could use a bit of an adjustment. The time frame he is open to be hit is very small, especially for his last hit. Missing him equals instant death: Robotnik should linger half a second longer when he throws the bomb.

May I suggest to speed up the title cards of the levels? Their animation is reallly good, but I think it lingers for too long.

Now for the problems I found:

- Platform edges have collision issues, and they are often treated like a slope. Instead of landing properly the character slips off like he was running on the end of a slope.

- Very often getting hit causes you to either recover all your rings instantly, or have them instantly recover but become a single ring. This is very easy to replicate by landing on spikes.

-The Down direction held while landing from springs sometimes does not register, and the character doesn't start a roll action unless you press again.

- There is an area in Carnival Chaos 2 where falling equals getting stuck at the bottom without exit, forcing you to restart at the last checkpoint

- There is an area in Murky Mines where exiting from a bonus stage causes you to get stuck in the ring room

- There is a background change event near a bonus ring in Murky Mines that switches the scenery from inside-outside without a wall to hide the transition

- Tails doesn't have a victory pose when he is controlled by AI

- Sometimes Tails spawns in his flying tired animation

Keep up the good work, with a bit more polish this will certainly become one of the best Sonic fangames.

-Ran into a nasty bug on Space Chase act 1. Came out of Slots Bonus Stage, and could not move at all, other than jump endlessly in zero gravity.

-Gravity transfers over to Special Stage when you enter it underwater. Happened at the end in Factory Frenzy act 1. Did make getting that last emerald easier though.

Make sure to write your find in the Google Doc in updates. It would help us alot if you did

Okay first thing first , THIS. GAME. IS. AWESOME. i got 7 Chaos Emeralds and played to the final boss (not to the True Final boss tho)
the level design , level layout , sprites , bosses , the extras , the music ALL 10/10 , played with controller and Sonic and Tails

but this is not final game , so it has some bugs and things to fix

Here is my list:

-Murky Mines boss hitbox is kinda unfair making you fall on the endless pit of dead most of the time making it a frustrating boss to play ( i lost 16 lives on it)
-Final Boss freezes sometimes.
-one of the Final Boss attacks makes you die instantly , instead of losing rings wich is frustrating tbh.
-The hammer boss is kinda hard to understand (or maybe im stupid lol) , but yeah , i didn`t know what to do or how is the attack pattern , i just randomly jump on it and lost rings to defeat it.
-Tails is useless?
-the Spider boss is kinda easy , you just got to spam onto it (or maybe i just broke it lol) i defeat it on 5 or 8 seconds.
-There is one Super Ring to acess the Special Stage on the snow level that "traps" you when you get out of the Special Stage. is the one where you got to break the ice blocks with the character freezed to get into the Super Ring room.
-the music of Bonus Stage and Credits were absent. there was just silence.
-On Flying Fortress zone , i get 2 emeralds , but the level restarted from the very beginning every time i get out of the Special Stages , but the timer kept counting.
-Special Stages (all of them) are kinda slippery and unfair sometimes bc of the physics.
-If You peel out on the final boss after defeating him , when everythings starts exploding , you`ll fall and die before the boss catchs you in the air as intended

Over All this game is 10/10 for me , i love everything and i can`t wait the buy the extras sprites and all , can`t wait to play Sonic 1 , 2 and Classic 1 on there to!

hope you guys can fix/improve all of the above and other players List`s!

ALSO quick idea for extras! why not add some kind of "Mania" OST for the game? i mean , the current OST of Classic 2 but Mania styled with trompets , instruments and all of that , it would be SO COOL!

-A

Last edited:

Item information

Added by
tydany
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.67 star(s) 3 ratings

Downloads