Sonic Chaos - Turquoise Hill Demo

Project Overview

Sonic Chaos

Sonic Chaos is a fan game and re-imagining of the 1993 Sega Game Gear and Master System platform game of the same name. Based on the current style of 2D classic Sonic games inspired by Sonic Mania, Sonic Chaos updates the 8 bit visuals of the original and adapts a play style more closely resembling the classic 16-bit games. The game has been in development for almost an entire year, of which the last 3 months was spent building a brand new engine from scratch. Sonic Chaos uses this new engine, Crimson Engine, and with it we've strived for classic Sonic gameplay accuracy.

Updates:
Since the initial release, even after only a few hours; we've already gotten tons of feedback and bug reports. We're so glad to see this many people enjoying the demo, and we'd like to make it the best we can!
So even though SAGE has begun, we'll be releasing plenty of updates during the event, stay tuned!

08/25/2018 - Update 1:
- Icon added
- Act 2 Boss refinements
- Fixed Act 2 boss softlocks
- Fixed bug where roll state is kept during act clear on act 2
- Demo now restarts at the titlescreen upon completion instead of closing

08/25/2018 - Update 2:
- Various Collision issues in Act 1 and Act 2 fixed
- Object placement issues in act 2 fixed
- Platforms above a bottomless pit in Act 1 have been changed to stay floating
- Fixed some pathswapping issues in both Acts

08/29/18 - Update 3:
- A frame cap has been implemented!
- Act 2 background has been optimized
- Shield fixes
- Tails gets properly put into spring-mode when he lands on a moto-spring while flying
- A bug where the player turns invisible in an S-Tube has been fixed
- Ring monitors now properly give an extra life upon passing 100 rings
- Falling platforms not being destroyed after going offscreen while falling is fixed
- Object solidity adjustments
- Monitor collision has been adjusted/corrected
- A music crashing bug accidentally introduced in 1.2 has been fixed
- Level layouts have been slightly adjusted to improve play experience and provide better direction

Update 3 will most likely be our last update until the next demo. Thanks to everyone who played! We've got lots of work to do!

Screenshots and media!

Credits

A+Start - Project Lead, Lead Designer, and Artist
Mr. Poe - Project Lead, Lead Programmer, Crimson Engine Programmer
TheStoneBanana - Chaos Engine & Gameplay Programmer
Michael Staple - Lead Composer & Musician
Heraga - Lead Level Designer
Jassbec - Level Designer
Tpot - Additional Programming and Assistance

Latest reviews

SPOILERS: I never played the original Sonic Chaos, so this review is gonna be how I viewed the Sonic Chaos remake as a whole.

Gameplay:
The Turquoise Hill Level looks beautiful in the presentation and has great multiple pathways to go through but it seems I cannot go through the other tunnel on top for some reason. The best gimmick I see is these spinning thing which launches you in the air with enough speed. The enemies are interesting though I am disappointed about the Hornet enemy, they just do nothing and there are only two enemies in the zone for strange reasons.

As for the bosses, I really like them as a whole. Not amazing, but certainly not hard either (though I'm survived the Eggman boss when out of rings). The physics in the game is good but not great either, because most collision boxes are extremely weird and jarring, including enemies in a small box when I passed through them :/. Also, I'm not a fan of Sonic's Spindash and Drop Dash as a whole, it just feels like a nerfed version but I still like it nonetheless. Tails' gameplay is pretty great, though landing out a flight feels less clunky I supposed?

It was jarring that there is no main menu selection even though the music for the menu select screen is there on YouTube.

Presentation:
The presentation as a whole looks like a Sonic Mania style, which could mean it's a reimagined game, taking place after Mania which was always a treat. The icons and the signpost at the end are amazing, with Sonic's new ending animation looks neat. However, I may discover that the loop animation feels slow in my opinion and the running animations look kinda meh to me.

Is it me or does most Sonic fangame has the best music and this one by fat is the best soundtrack entirely! It sounds and feels like a spiritual successor to Sonic Mania's music.

Conclusion:
Overall, Sonic Chaos - Turquoise Hill Demo looks very impressive build from the new engine, Crimson Engie, but it has some weird collision tiles problems, enemy hitbox (not including the Bosses though), and even with these issues presented I think this game would be the best thing entirely as a whole. I'm giving it 8.4 / 10
The game itself is very fluid, it has some sonic mania style graphics, and it reminds me of my childhood, I hope this project will be finished some day
J
Jacho
Tengo una pregunta cómo se descarga
xinconety
xinconety
hay un arquivo en la parte izquierda , clickas y ya esta
I love this! sonic chaos was the first sonic game i have played. I hope the next demo comes soon!

i found a bug, and no mighty is not in this remake this was just a mod that i made.
so i was playing the game and i almost fell but i got into the wall
Last edited:
Kristo 2.0
Kristo 2.0
Yes.

Comments

This was amazing! There were a few collision errors, like how in the beginning of Act 2 it'll have you randomly clip through and if you don't do anything and youre at the right speed, you'll zip right through it, but they're minor and don't exactly make the game any less fun. I hope you continue to work on this, it is great, and I'd love to see more of it!

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but there's straight up missing terrain in some parts of the map, including here by the exit of one of the tube thingies and also just above a set of sideways spikes somewhere in the first level.

So, I first heard about this project back in August, downloaded version 1.2 of the demo, and promptly forgot about it until now. So I finally got around to playing the demo, and version 1.3 and I have to say, overall, amazing work! I did notice a couple issues, overall, though. First are the few areas where Sonic clips through solid ground, which the recent posts before mine have mentioned in detail. Secondly, though, is an issue involving the frame cap implemented in version 1.3 of the demo. While playing version 1.3, I noticed the game did not scroll as smoothly as version 1.2. I use a 75hz monitor and I'm guessing the frame cap hard limits the game to 60, since 60hz is still pretty much the most common display refresh rate. This causes the game to look jittery on my display, as opposed to 1.2 which was buttery smooth.

I don't know how often the dev team reads the comments here, but going forward, PLEASE make the frame cap a toggle-able feature, or a frame cap that matches the current display's refresh rate. While the feature is fine for those using a 60hz display, there are an increasing number of people using higher refresh rate displays (75hz, 144hz, 165hz, etc). Otherwise, great work, and I'm looking forward to seeing the next iteration of the project.

Hi Mr.Potatobadger, how are you getting on with this, any progress updates since August? Is there any where other than here where we can follow development?

hi my name is sonic safi im a youtuber and im intersted on your work doing sonic chaos when i first saw the trailer i was like "mmmm ok....." after that you still doing it u have remarkable friends and followers supporting u and your group amezingly u guys have a good day and night.

This is great for being able to pull so much out of Sonic Chaos and turn it into something that really feels like it could belong in Sonic Mania. On that note, I wondered if it would be possibly faster and easier to just mod Mania with the Chaos levels like this. This felt much more hand-made , which definitely has a genuine feel, though there were an instance or two where I ended up in some walls. I personally loved this, though since it's using a custom engine, I'd love to see maybe some additional characters or character mechanics in the future, something that sets it apart from just being something that could be just a mod for Mania. Sonic Chaos was a pretty short game so I'm sure there's a lot you could do with it in making a more modern adaptation.

I love this game! it does feel like i am playing a sonic fan game using sonic worlds though.

Just made an account to compliment you on a fantastic demo! I thought I was playing a insane mania mod until I finished and seen its a different engine. Very impressive! Sonic controls just like the classics and mania and it felt completely normal to just pick up and enjoy without adjusting to weird physics. The activated tree climbing things were very cool and very fluid. First act was perfect. The second act was good but it threw me for a loop :emoji_laughing:. I instinctively just wanted to go right and after going left for a while and then descending I started second guessing myself a lot. Overall tho this demo is fantastic. Alot of other fan demos or submissions tend to lack a natural flow in how the level progresses and the artistic aspect is always empty or over crowded. This was a perfect balance. Cant wait to play future levels down the road.

This should become official, and then the art at the top is the home menu icon. Sega's making fangames official now.

Item information

Added by
Mr. Potatobadger
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.57 star(s) 49 ratings

Downloads

More in SAGE 2018 [Archive]

Share this item