don't click here

Sonic & Blaze

General Information

This version is extremely outdated, please play the current demo here: Sonic & Blaze SAGE 2022

Welcome the the SAGE 2021 demo release of Sonic & Blaze! Originally designed to be a 2D Sonic Adventure 3 (which you can see remnants of if you look at the save file name), when I resumed development I wanted to turn this into something more Sonic Rush inspired with some aspects of the 3D games included. And thus, here is the result!

In this demo

1. Two playable characters, Sonic and Blaze. It wouldn't be a Rush game without Blaze after all. Just like in the Rush games she plays very similarly to Sonic with some key differences, but more on that later.
  2. Six available stages, unfortunately due to time constraints only 2 of them are actually fully completed, 2 of them are mostly unchanged from the original 2013 build, 1 stage is still being overhauled, and the 6th is a WIP.
Playable Characters
Sonic the Hedgehog: Everyone's favorite blue mascot with attitude! Sonic comes with his standard boost game moveset, however he can also use the Quick Step in special designated areas similar to Sonic Colors. He also comes with the Spin Dash, which while nowhere near as fast as the boost can still be reliable in a pinch. Sonic can also perform tricks like in Sonic Generations to fill up the Boost Gauge.
Blaze the Cat: Blaze plays very much like Sonic does, with mostly the same moves. However there are some differences. Blaze is a little bit slower than Sonic and can't pick up far away Rings while boosting, but she can hover in midair as long as the Boost Gauge isn't empty, as well as gets a higher jump. Overall Blaze is suited more for slow platforming segments, while Sonic is suited more for speed runs.

Controls

• Left and right arrow keys to move
  • <Space> to jump
  • <Space>+<Space> for an airdash or Homing Attack/Fire Claw if in range
  • Hold X to boost
  • Down arrow key to crouch or roll while moving
    • Hit <Space> while crouching to Spin Dash/Burning Dash
  • Z to lightdash when near certain rings
  • When the Trick Counter is displayed, press the Up arrow key to perform tricks and Z to perform a finisher.
  • With Blaze, press the Up arrow key when in the air to perform the Burst Hover. It uses up boost energy though, so be wise in how you use it.
  • C to stomp whenever in the air
  • <Enter> during gameplay to pause
  • Press 0 at anytime to restart a level as Sonic, press 1 to do the same with Blaze
  • When in a Quick Step section, press the up and down arrow keys to switch lanes. Note that these segments are automated and have most actions disabled.
  • In a Four-Way Cannon, use the arrow keys to aim and <Space> to fire Sonic/Blaze

ZONES:

Blue Coast Zone

The typical Green Hill clone to start off a 2D Sonic, though this one takes on more of a Emerald Coast influence this time. Act 2 is probably my favorite of the stages in this demo, was a pain to design though...
Screenshot (57).png
Screenshot (55).png
Screenshot (56).png
Screenshot (53).png
Screenshot (52).png
Screenshot (54).png

Magmopolis Zone
Not-Crisis City. Story spoilers (yes there's a story): an inactive volcano near a city was somehow reactivated thanks to the energy of a Chaos Emerald, causing a sizeable chunk of the metropolis to turn into a disaster zone. And to make things worse, ancient Chaos beings were reawakened as well...
Act 1 is the only act available to play, and its probably the longest stage in the demo (not that it means much).
Screenshot (32).png
Screenshot (33).png
Screenshot (34).png

Temple Cliff Zone
Here comes a rail level! A bunch of weird floating ruins that Eggman is interested in for some reason...
Most of the challenge in these acts will come from timing Homing Attack chains and jumping over death pits, no worrying about moving because the stage takes care of that for you!
Act 1 and 2 are playable in this demo.

Screenshot (35).png
Screenshot (36).png
Screenshot (37).png

Blizzard Summit Zone
Running down extreme slopes in freezing cold weather, oh what fun! Visually the stage is intended to be a winter themed Green Hill combined with a typical Sonic ice stage, and much of the level design is intended to be focused on extreme verticality. Unlike the 6 stages playable in the demo, this is a completely new addition fully intended to capture the Advance/Rush-experience of blasting through vertical levels at insane speeds. Unfortunately all that's finished at the moment is about 20-30 seconds worth of playtime...

Screenshot (42).png
Screenshot (41).png
Screenshot (39).png

Latest reviews

This is pretty good and challenging ngl. Blaze is the best
Reactions: arcanalune
The game has big problems with level design, textures, physics. But to some extent, I liked it.
Reactions: arcanalune

Comments

In my opinion, I sometimes notice the level a bit empty, the rest is fine like the sprites, level design (I like the design), and others. good job and good luck with your fangame.

Item information

Added by
arcanalune
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
3.50 star(s) 2 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games

More from arcanalune