don't click here

Sonic Before The Sequel Plus

I enjoyed the game play, a little bit glitchy with the title screen, but I'm running it on Linux, so it could be a problem on my end. Everything else was great. The game play was smooth. I loved the cut scenes.
For starters, I do want to give this credit for the touch ups it gives and the effort that was clearly put in.

-Wide Screen support is amazing, even going out of your way to reanimate the cut scenes to fit the resolution.

-New tails sprite is great in gameplay.

-New music choices are a nice edition and fit well.

-the drop dash is always a fun mechanic where-ever its implemented.

my positives do end there. As much as I like the idea of adding new cutscenes, They dont look nearly as good as the original's. Certain assets look really low res (could be a settings thing on my end), new animations are clunky and off-putting.

As fun as the dropdash is, I feel its implementation could have been handled a bit better, it feels a bit slow compared to that of sonic ats dx. I also couldnt find anywhere how to preform the damn thing, until I remembered how it was in ats, and it worked.

There are also minor graphical glitches and errors that will occasionally occur which I dont remember happening in the original. Like in the boss of rocky ride, a cloud overly appeared over everything else. perhaps that was meant to happen, but I dont think it looked all that good if that is the case.

Overall, I feel the jank out-ways the positives in my eyes. Sure wide screen is nice, but the more consistent experience of the original is preferable to me. So if you want to play bts, I'd recommend just going for the original. But if wide screen is really important to you, and you can look past the faults, or just havent tried it before, this way to play is passable.
P
PrimeTF
I wouldn't expect too much from BTS and ATS. It's got issues, and it's got some good parts, but you can't really judge it as a product of our time. Both games definitely feel like a product of 2011-2012 imo.
the plus version of sonic before the sequel, cool, it's the same, but with drop dash, so it revived my desire to play it again
Okay, so i've played through this remaster all the way to the good ending, and here are my thoughts, both good and bad:

I like the addition of updated sprites for both Sonic and Tails. Especially Tails, since in OG and '12 he only had his Sonic 2 sprites, which made him look a bit off compared to Sonic. I also noticed an upgrade on Sonic's sprites as well, to match his ATS look.

Widescreen is nice, though it does have its little issues such as the "Act Clear" screens being positioned to the right instead of on the center of the screen.

Some visual effects also seem to not function properly, for example, defeating the Lost Levels boss would have the screen slowly fade into white as the sprites become black silhouettes in the original and '12. Here, the background immediately cuts to white, and so does everything else into silhouettes. Though, i wonder if it's just my PC doing that. Update: So i tested the '12 version of Before the Sequel, and these issues don't seem to happen there. Apparently it's only this version of the game, so i doubt it's a pc specs-related problem.

The cutscenes definitely need some more work. It's understandable that you had to settle for recreations now that Flash (which the original cutscenes depended on) has pretty much died last year. Even then, they look rather lacking and unfinished compared to the OG cutscenes. The movements look very off, many effects are missing... And these text boxes during the last few cutscenes are... a pretty weird choice. I feel it would've just been better to keep in these little bubbles the original went for. And it probably wouldn't have been too hard to keep in the little "Tails!" voice line from the OVA, right?

Speaking of cutscenes, i like the fact you re-implemented the unused pre-Hilltop Heights cutscene, i'll give you that.

Drop Dash is a pretty welcome addition, i like it, yeah? Problem is, though, it repeats the same mistake After The Sequel DX did-- Having the Drop Dash function by jumping and not letting go of the button, instead of jumping, pressing the jump button again midair and holding it down as it officially worked in Mania.

By the way, what happened to the laser puzzle gimmicks in Metro Madness? In previous versions of the game you had to jump on a switch to make a cannon shoot a laser into one or two targets to open a door and progress along the stage. There were plenty of these. But here, the doors are already open and the laser cannon isn't functional. I'll admit it had me pretty confused.

I loved the detail of Tails flying up and waiting for you at the goalpost during Titanic Tower 1. What i didn't expect though, was that Tails actually followed you around throughout Acts 2 and 3 like an AI-controlled character! I was pretty impressed, since i don't remember seeing the Sonic Worlds framework do this before. Though i will admit, its... rather loose movement was pretty janky, seeing how it had trouble trying to follow Sonic around.

By the way, a small bug i'd like to point out, but for some reason the Act Clear screen in Arcane Altitude 1 is a bit glitched.

Overall, while i do think it needs improvement in some areas, i actually thought this was a pretty okay experience for a Before The Sequel remaster. Had fun, but some tweaks and stuff here and there would do wonders.
Last edited: