don't click here

SAGE 2022 - Demo Sonic Battle R - Prototype V3 0.65 SAGE 2022

General Information

Gather your friends and see who is truly the fastest in this no hold bared fast track. Featuring many different stages from the Sonic series, enhancing the stages with new features for multiplayer.

Sonic Battle R Prototype V3
Updates are dynamic due to updater is now build into the game.
Featuring:
- BR Engine
- New Stages
- New characters
- New Enemies
- New Modes

Now powered by the BR Engine built from the ground up created by JMan.
Reactions: sanic da heg

Latest reviews

There are some obvious issues with this one. Users should know that the updater doesn't work and you should ignore it and skip straight to the game. It will work

There are some audio issues, some sounds don't get lowered when you lower the volume in the settings.

The game can crash sometimes when playing online. No biggie. It loads back up again without issues

That said. Thank you for making this. It's actually amazing to play online with others. So much fun! How did you cram so many stages into a 1GB download?

If you are willing to put up with some dodgy load in and sometimes dodgy collision, and you have a bunch of friends to play online with, this is a blast!

What more can I say? It's an online sonic racing game with Adventure like physics and a plethora of levels taken from your memories! Cant wait to see more!

Comments

The updater on my end seems to be bugged - it won't update my 0.6.43 version to 0.7. Maybe it might be best to put the 0.7 version on the gamejolt page?

The name of the linked file suggests it's version 0.65, but when I boot up the game, it says it's version 0.6.44. Additionally, it gives me an error saying "This version is not available" and telling me to update to 0.6.43(???). The preceding launcher never gets past "Checking for updates", however. I assumed that particular download is bugged, so I went directly to the gamejolt page and downloaded 0.6.43 from there. While I no longer get an error from starting the game proper, the preceding launcher, again, never changes from "checking for updates", meaning I can't update to this alleged 0.7 version.

I blame SAGE staff, I thought they checked through all the games to make sure they were working and didn't contain malware, that's why entries had to be submitted 2 weeks before the SAGExpo site opened.

in terms of control, Sonic Battle R comes the closest to that Sa2/Sa1 feel. I appreciate the tightness and running animation matching the speed of characters.

Characters are fun to control and it’s fun to navigate old levels with such tight controls.

Wall-running parkour is more grounded, ramp acceleration is satisfying and going downhill feels just as good as the Dreamcast games.

With all of that said, there’s a lot to be desired with Sonic Battle R. For one, the ball\rolling animation could use a lot of work.

Sonic should be *spinning* in a ball at high speeds to then be shot forward (https://imgur.io/elhfBgH). Not sluggishly rolling in a summersault regardless of speed or momentum like in Sonic Battle R.

That’s one of the things that takes me out of a well-controlled game. It would be nice if you took inspiration from Sa1’s jump ball effect where Sonic is a blur and alternates between seeing his 3D model ( https://c.tenor.com/s3UgSIAgJO8AAAAi/sonic-adventure.gif)

Also, Sonic should be able to turn easier when going in ball form. The spin dash mostly just shoots you forward and it’s hardly steerable. Homing attacks could also use a bit more punch to them. Hitting enemies feels like I’m bouncing on a cloud from Windy Hill from Sonic Lost World.

Maybe add some particular effects to give attacking some flare to the attack

Also, characters more or less all feel the same and everyone has the same attacks. Now, for an online game, I understand the point but with such a good engine, I’d like to see some single player option.

I’d like to explore levels with Knuckles and be able to glide and climb to look for collectibles. Levels are nicely recreated and fun to run through but you guys have so much at your disposal and don’t do anything with it.

With such big levels, you could spread out collectibles and red rings throughout to give us reasons to keep playing even offline.

Maybe create a skill tree that we can use our rings for. That would give incentive for the player to ring collect and replay levels.

Character designs seem to be off-model and more versatile in terms of customizability but I’d like to see more items other than hats and meme clothes.

I’d like to see custom shoes like soap shoes, Riders shoes and Sa1 shoes. It would be so satisfying playing as Soap shoes Sonic through all the levels.

I’d like to see attacks like the bounce bracelet and sweep attack as well as a mode that adds more enemies for those playing single player.

All in all, Sonic Battle R is a well-made and tightly controlled online game but I feel a lot can be done if offline single play could be explored and expanded on.

I hope your team takes my criticisms from a place of helpfulness. Thanks for creating.

Last edited:

Item information

Added by
JMan
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.00 star(s) 1 ratings

More in Fan Games

More from JMan