Sonic An Untold Darkness (SAGE 2019 Demo)

Project Overview

< OVERVIEW >

Sonic an Untold Darkness is a story-driven and fast-paced Classic Sonic fangame adventure featuring Sonic and crew saving the world from a dark creature lurking in the shadow who has taken control of all of Robotnik's weapons and robots, including the huge powerful army of Egg-Robos! It's up to Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Espio and Dr Robotnik to save the day once and for all.

Sonic An Untold Darkness aims to to create a fresh Sonic experience through combining ideas from both old and new titles in the series to offer a fangame like no other. With numerous different types of cut-scenes, and a wide range of levels to play with each character, the game offers a unique play experience for all characters.

This SAGE demo consists of a snippet of Paradise Woods Zone, the first level in the game. With unique levels for both Sonic and Tails, and a boss-fight, this short demo gives a small taste of what's to come from Sonic An Untold Darkness!

< CONTROLS >
Left and Right - Move your character around
Up - Look up
Down - Look down
A - Jump
Down + A - Spindash
Up + A - Peelout

< WE ARE RECRUITING >
We are currently open to anyone who would like to assists in the development of Sonic An Untold Darkness. If you are interested in joining the development team for the game, let us know in the comments. We are open to all different roles, including sprite artists, coders and musicians.

< THANK YOU FOR PLAYING >
The development team and I thank you for trying out our very first demo of Sonic An Untold Darkness. We will be posting constant updates on Twitter through the hashtag #SonicAnUntoldDarkness. We hope to keep development going on the project for as long as possible.

Screenshots and media!

Bonus Content

< WALLPAPERS >
In the files of this demo are a small handful of wallpapers for the game, which you can set up on your desktop. Further releases of the game will include more and more wallpapers to alongside your desktop.

Credits

< TEAM >
WizToad (Leader)
Dolphman
Pvic
Sonikast
BriceTAS
Trevguy
SoniFoxx
TheBlurCafe

Sprites:
WizToad
Dolphman
Sonikast
DarkVampireDee
Caliginous
Hexagonal
LouieIsWeird
Gardow
TheBlurCafe
DanielMania
MrLevRocks
Pvic
SoniFoxx

Art and Concept Art:
WizToad
Joshikoy
ChoccoSaiyan
TheBlurCafe
Lilac

Coding:
Pvic
Trevguy
Aleks
Sonikast

Music:
Alex Falkenburg
Daix23
Trevguy

Level Design:
WizToad

Script Writing:
WizToad
MrLevRocks

GMate Engine by:
Shiro/Violet
Nathalie/Naty
Noah Copeland
Hobbers
Lhancat
MrLevRocks
Savordez
TpoT
Mr Lange

Special Thanks to:
Aleks
Lilac
My Brother

Latest reviews

This fangame left a really good first impression there was a ton I liked and little I didn't.

Firstly I want to praise the sprites they all look fantastic and all flowed well with the gameplay, nothing looked out of place. The same can be said about the music which was catchy and fit the aesthetic of the level.

To move on to the gameplay as a whole, I can say that there is a lot to like here, the level had a couple of different paths all of which felt fun to race through as the level had plenty of opportunities to gain speed, with little that completely killed your speed. I especially enjoyed the the leaf gimmick it felt like a classic sonic gimmick through and through it was quick to understand and kept the level's pacing flowing. Unfortunately I can't say the same about the spinning bars, while I don't have a lot of issue with the gimmick as a whole, it too seems like it wouldn't kill the pace of the level, the way it's implemented feels really awkward, there were plenty of times that they were placed weirdly in the level (Tails' first level where they are surrounded by spikes is a good example, I saw little reason to not just fly past the whole thing.) also they mechanically feel a bit off too, I could be wrong but it seems like if you hit the bars from above you just pass right through them, this made it awkward to jump from one to another many times. Lastly one last nitpick, It felt as if the level was a tad on the difficult side for a first level, with the spiked badniks you can only spindash into from the front blindsiding me plenty of times, and the boss which quickly tossed it's axe downward which was incredibly hard to dodge without knowing it was coming as his windup is incredibly short.

All in all I thought that the game really nails the gameplay of the classic sonic games and I'll be looking forward to what comes next.
WizToad
WizToad
Thank you for the feedback! I'm probably going to revamp some of the gimmicks in Paradise Woods Zone, so I will keep your criticism in mind.
(Originally posted on DA but nobody's there anymore so it's here now.)

Nobody asked for my opinion, but here they are anyway!
Take this with a grain of salt as my standards are always abnormally high.

-The Good-
Everything! I was blown away with this. I'm not the best at giving praise, but everything was amazing. The sprites, the music, the transition from acts one to two. I really enjoyed playing through the Marble Gardenesque Paradise Woods and I'm wondering what the echidna statues are about. The boss looked to be well coded and sprited. The background for act 2 was particularly nice to look at.

-The "meh"-
I have nothing overly bad to say about the fangame, hence the "meh" in absence of the bad. Most of these are small gripes. If Paradise Woods is meant to be the first stage in the game then I feel the boss is pretty difficult. I may just be rusty at Sonic games though. The previously mentioned background of act 2 could use some moving parts, i.e the clouds. As it seems off when you're standing still.
As for the stage design, there's obviously been a lot of thought put in. I couldn't comment on it as I don't know what makes good Sonic level design. One thing I can comment on though is the gimmicks used in the stage. I'm not the biggest fan of the way they've been set out. It feels like the main gimmick is supposed to be the leaf hang glider things, but they only show up once or twice. The same goes for the spinny hang platform things. While yes they're used in both acts, they're not built up in any way. There's no upping difficulty between the acts and they're not used enough to stick in my mind as "That zone had that gimmick". Not that anybody wants to hear it but this is what I would do. Push the hang glider mechanic into the second act, or at least into midway through the first act. Have more spinning hang platforming sections that aren't too challenging. Then when it comes to act two, (re)introduce the hang glider, again with not much difficulty, interspersed with spinning hang glider platforming sections that are slightly more challenging than the first acts.
With that out of the way, here are some screenshots:

Dickmove by MySpriteArchive
Example of a dick move ^

Tileset by MySpriteArchive
This is me being really nitpicky, but the tiling here is just not okay. Maybe something more like this?
Yeem by MySpriteArchive
With actual effort put in though, not this garbage I did in a couple of minutes. The shadows aren't totally correct but you get the idea.

And finally, "What's shaking" always sounds to me like something people in a relationship would say.
Other than that, the demo was great. Better than most I've played. Keep it up!
Sorry I wrote more bad than good, as I said praise isn't my thing.

-LouieIsWeird/MySpriteArchive
M
mcbloodaj
I cant play it
M
mcbloodaj
And what do you do when error mesagges pop up?
WizToad
WizToad
@mcbloodaj Could you elaborate on why you are unable to play the game?
This game looks and sounds great! Sonic and Tails play how I'd expect them to, and while the demo is short n sweet, it's definitely promising. The aesthetic touches with echidna ruins are also nice. I did find some hitboxes for enemies and the boss to be a little weird, and I also happened to go too high and end up in a wall as Tails, and the sound effects for rings were a bit loud compared to everything else, but otherwise, I'm looking forward to more :)
WizToad
WizToad
Yeah, I have gotten a lot of criticism about the hit-boxes being a bit weird, so I'm going to take note of that. Thanks for the feedback!

Comments

QUICK UPDATE: Accidentally posted the wrong version of the game. The game should work a bit better now.

QUICK UPDATE: Accidentally posted the wrong version of the game. The game should work a bit better now.
I tried it again and got stuck in some permanent rolling form with Tails after going through a tunnel. I couldn't move left or right ... he just rolled...

Maybe I'm just good at breaking games :(

Item information

Added by
WizToad
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.25 star(s) 4 ratings

Downloads

More in SAGE 2019