don't click here

Sonic 3 A.I.R. - SAGE 2018 Demo

Sonic 3: Angle Island Revisited is a game where I am very appreciative that gets a widescreen treatment (even though I am not a Sonic fan). This game is a fan-made port of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, which no one tackles before and Eukyarot did it and everyone can finally play this version. Despite this, this isn't just a widescreen version, it has multiple options to choose how you played in the first game. And to that, I'll be reviewing this latest game at v20.07.24.0 so this is my review so don't expected to have something to praise for.

Options:
There is a lot of customization to go through when it comes to playing on both versions. The PC version has a widescreen (just like every other PC release.), having support for the consoles controls (which I never owned), and even can be allowed you to edit the keyboard for as long as you like. For the mobile version, you have the controls section, which acts like the Sonic 1 and 2 remastered version except the controls feel like the 2012 version of Sonic CD in a much better way. The mobile version can be tricky sometimes especially I haven't played Sonic on mobile since November.

Oh yeah, the Level Layout options: The only thing I liked is the moving platform on Sandopolis Zone and altered some level design to keep things not frustrating. I don't know any changes so I'll leave it up to you.

Achievements, Unlockables & Secrets:
There are 18 achievements on Sonic 3: AIR which when complete these will unlock some new modes (i.e. Debug Mode and Knuckles and Tails Mode (which also functions similar to the 2013 version of Sonic 1 and 2)). There are some secrets that you have to find out, unfortunately. And I think the Knuck & Tails mode is pretty great, especially that you can access to Sonic place that knuckles haven't explore.

Mods Support:
You heard me right, mod support is here. Never been playing the mods in this game and it was great. For people who don't know how to get to the AppData folder, press the Windows logo + R button, then type %appdata% and Enter and you should be able to download the mods.

Gameplay and Conclusion:
The gameplay I played with was great. It's everything I always wanted to find out why Sonic 3 & Knuckles were their favorite and I can see why. Some complaints I have were some enemies were too annoying, some gimmicks, and the memorization of the Blue Sphere special stages.

Overall, Sonic 3 AIR is a great unofficial port of the critically acclaimed Sonic 3 & Knuckles (that it still has issues for some reason) and it manages to be a 60 fps gameplay consisted and it was marvelous.
Reactions: RodirodDude
This is trying to emulate the Sonic 3 and Knuckles like if Taxman and stealth made it and for this demo... I am kinda disapointed at the lack of actually making it feel like one. The fact this is a "port" kinda more puts it into an emulator thingy. This feels like Sonic 3 but is Sonic heavier or lighter? Or faster? I got confused and stopped playing. This is still amazing and all and I hope it gets completed!
Game: Well then, It's impressive that you managed this port nonetheless. I've played S3&K a bunch of times and I will say that this is not so much of a remake than it is a port. I do like the ghost-based Time Attack modes and the fact you can put on a few filters to destroy the graphics. But not much otherwise, not a bad port tho. (if you somehow add a bunch of customizability a la S3COMPLETE i will love you forever)

Rebreak, Re-meh, [Port], Remake, Reinvent
Reactions: Pihanas