SAGE 2020 - Demo Sonic 1: Green Hill Revisited

Overview

UPDATE AS 01/18/2021:
Sonic 1 Revisited is canceled due to decompilation of Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 2013 releases. S1R is now a standalone Green Hill tech demo of Orbinaut Framework. We might update the project later to keep it clear that it has been discontinued.

We'll continue to develop our framework, so make sure to follow our twitter linked down below if you are interested.

"Sonic 1: Green Hill Revisited" is a remake of Green Hill Zone build from the ground up, developed with GameMaker Studio 2 using our own private framework called "Orbinaut Framework", by me and my friend MicG.
The main goal of the project is to make it as close to original game as possible by doing a lot of researching in the original game code.

SXteNQpR4Y.gif
kDcAbZY7v7.gif

FEATURES:
• Game-styled Main Menu right on the Title Screen. Simple and awesome-looking.
Fully playable Green Hill Zone including boss. (boss was the harder thing in the whole project)
• MegaDrive accurate linear colour levels and palette limitations.
Full Xinput gamepad support. Everywhere. Literally. (We support it even if the game is closed).
• Four aspect ratios (4:3, 16:9, 16:10, 21:9) and four window modes. Hey ultrawidescreen users, we know you exist!
• Three soundtrack types: original, remixed (act-based) and 2013 Mobile HQ. Awesome choice if you tired of original GHZ theme!
Optional Spindash and Speedcap. It's up to you to decide, what you really want to be featured in your walkthrough.
• Functional pause menu! Restart current act without losing a life or back to the Main Menu.
Discord Rich Presence support. Wait, you're already playing Act 3? HOW?

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
Please, make sure your PC has at least this setup and only after that comment about any crashes.

• 64Bit OS Windows 7
• CPU with 2 Cores
• GPU supporting Shader Model 3.0
• 256MB RAM
• 50MB of disk space

DOWNLOAD:
This booth: Check the right side of the page!
Mirror: Google Drive

cover.png

Media

Updates

Follow us on Twitter for more!

CHANGELOG

Update 01/18/2021
- Sonic 1 Revisited is canceled due to decompilation of Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 2013 releases. S1R is now a standalone Green Hill tech demo of Orbinaut Framework. We might update the project later to keep it clear that it has been discontinued. Thank you for your support!

Version 0.1
- SAGE'20, first public release

Version 0.11, 07/09/2020
- "20th anniversary" text on the SAGE screen is now on its correct position
- Fixed vertical red spring working like the yellow one
- Fixed strange monitor behavior
- Fixed wrong spindash release when facing left
- Fixed corrupted invincibility theme in HQ 2013 soundtrack
- Fixed a bug when Sonic "sticked" to the wall near S-Tunnels
- Fixed wrong layer depth for bonus points objects
- Fixed camera level go down if you go back at the end of Act 2
- Corrected the time before level restarts after you die
- Added new jumping animation for Sonic at act results
- Added Level Select (JP)

Version 0.12, 10/09/2020
- Explosions that are spawning during capsule destroy event are now correct
- Fixed a glitch when another invincibility effects spawned on player if he already had invincibility
powerup and destroyed another invincibility monitor
- Fixed corrupted non-HQ boss music
- Minor improvements

Version 0.13, 13/09/2020 - Final SAGE'20 patch
- Removed Sage Intro
- Added a current version splash to the Main Menu
- Corrected Act 3 camera triggers placements to behave like in the original game
- Corrected depth of explosions spawning after beating the boss
- Temporary "fixed" a possibility to be launched into the wall after two S-tunnels in Act 1
- Fixed random stuck in the S-tunnel when going upwards
- Fixed a glitch when player died by nothing because triggered camera level to go up but was above
actual camera bottom border
- Fixed a bug with the camera stopping scrolling to the capsule if it was destroyed if using 21:9 ascept ratio
- Fixed non-solid dark walls in the underbridge room in Act 3 to be solid
- Fixed non-solid light walls in Act 2 near the S-tunnel to be solid
- Fixed a clip through the breakable walls if you jumped into the dark one while facing right
- Fixed flowers animation being stopped whenever the act is finished

Credits

• Triangly - Project Lead, Programmer
• MicG (Michael Gallinago) - Programmer
• Karl Brueggemann - Remixed Music Composer (2013 "Sonic 1 Revisited" Album)
• SEGA, Sonic Team - Original Game, Graphical Assets

Special Thanks:
• Lapper - Information Support, Sonic Retro's Sonic Physics Guide Updates
• All of our Twitter Followers

Latest reviews

Amazing game!
-------------------------------------
The things I like.
1. I like the remixed ost.
2. I like how to physics are close to the genesis version.
---------------------------------------------------------------
The things I don't like and/or bug reports
Bug reports:
1. I can drop throw that bridge after the speed shoes for some reason
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overall Rating: 4 stars
Reactions: Triangly
Triangly
Triangly
Thank you :)
its soo amazing i love it it looks like the mobile port but better i hope the full version get released soon! :)
E
EmoryRocks9000
It looked great and was really fun and the remixed music was amazing
This is just absolutely stunning, honestly. You'd better believe I played through Green Hill Zone acts 1 to 3 with every aspect ratio and soundtrack option! Speaking of which, I love those remixes in the 'remixed' option. What's here already is so brilliant, I can't wait for future updates!
Reactions: Triangly

Comments

Very impressed with this, however I found a couple bugs!
1. Was charging a spindash while invincible, and enemies were approaching. I continued to charge, but upon invincibility running out the enemies damaged me, knocking my out of my spindash charge. After this, I was unable to jump or crouch, only able to walk left or right. Restarting returned me to a normal gameplay state.
2. Less specifically, it seems to be impossible to do loop jumps going up. Normally in classic Sonic games, you're able to roll while approaching a loop and jump up to the top right, speeding you up and setting you up to be able to jump down from the top left and build a lot of speed. In this, however, jumping up while beginning a loop stops Sonic's momentum completely and sends you back the other way.

hello sorry when I open the game and it works fine but when I give it in stars game I start act 1 of green hill this skips me

my PC is 32bits windows 8.1

Incredible remake that stays much more true to the original than the mobile 2013 release. Great job!

Very impressed with this, however I found a couple bugs!
1. Was charging a spindash while invincible, and enemies were approaching. I continued to charge, but upon invincibility running out the enemies damaged me, knocking my out of my spindash charge. After this, I was unable to jump or crouch, only able to walk left or right. Restarting returned me to a normal gameplay state.
2. Less specifically, it seems to be impossible to do loop jumps going up. Normally in classic Sonic games, you're able to roll while approaching a loop and jump up to the top right, speeding you up and setting you up to be able to jump down from the top left and build a lot of speed. In this, however, jumping up while beginning a loop stops Sonic's momentum completely and sends you back the other way.
Thank you for the feedback! The reason why you can't landjump on the loop is because ceiling landing is not done yet. It is kinda glitchy at current point so we've decided to disable it for some time.

sonic 1 bug revisited

anyway in the future will this have smooth special stages like in that rom hack of sonic 1 (i can give link to the room)
elemental shields, drop dash, insta shield, peelout, Tails and Knuckles

by the way, i couldnt jump there

Last edited:
really good game!
a question: will you guys do sonic 2 when this one is finished?

Just played the demo and I had an extremely good time with it! I really like that you guys included the alternate soundtrack options! I've played Sonic 1 a dozen times but the new music made running through the levels feel fresh. The physics were insanely tight as well, nice job!

Damn boy this is awesome! If it's not too much trouble, adding in Masa's original demos as one of the selectable soundtracks would be sick!

Hi. i'm having the same error that Benjamin Forces Plus has. when i've start the game, and go to green hill, the screen is black and then this error pops up. and if you're saying that i'm using like windows xp. no, i'm using windows 7 32 bits but with the classic theme to enhance the performance in games and using the computer in general.

View attachment 9678
Hi. i'm having the same error that Benjamin Forces Plus has. when i've start the game, and go to green hill, the screen is black and then this error pops up. and if you're saying that i'm using like windows xp. no, i'm using windows 7 32 bits but with the classic theme to enhance the performance in games and using the computer in general.
HI! As far as I know, 64bit Windows is required

This feels a bit more like Sonic 1 compared to Christian Whitehead's version, I also liked messing around with the aspect ratio options, the 21:9 one definitely made the boss a lot easier too as well as looking out for incoming things ahead too which removes the need for a dynamic camera lol. Also Karl's revised music is a jam! I didn't encounter any bugs but idk if y'all have the extra life bonus setup yet. Anywho, Great job!

Item information

Added by
Triangly
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.67 star(s) 3 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games

Share this item