don't click here

Rad Venture (SAGE '21 Demo)

One of the crowning jewels of SAGE in all it's glory! The movement feels so polished. The finished environments are as delicious as chocolate ice cream cake. Levels like Shiver Swamp have this fun mixture of greens, blues, and purples, creating a unique forest aesthetic that I've been craving for a while now.

The little things add up; Most games with 2D grass (like in Rad), if you look straight down it looks awkward because the actual ground texture is just a flat green color, but here it's actually painted grass textures, so the grass looks great at any angle! There's only so many NPC's added in but they all stand out and are pretty memorable.

As tasty as this cake is, a few ingredients could be a bit better:

I wish the spin attack didn't have a delay when using it. I find myself having to mash the button thinking "c'mon dude hit 'em!!" and strategically attack a full second ahead of time whenever I wanna land a hit on something.
Also, PC controls aren't shown while using Keyboard + Mouse, it seems like there's only prompts for the gamepad.

During the boss fight, I couldn't figure out if you needed to use the left or right mouse button to send the missiles back so i just mashed them until it worked. I tried using each one individually and for some reason that never worked.

Besides a few minor blemishes, this game rocks. I'm really excited to keep watching this game develop!

tl;dr: This game's rad.
  • Love
Reactions: BrandtH