don't click here

Project Rascal (SAGE '21 Demo)

General Information

1417714183discordbutton.png

Project Rascal is a fast-paced 3D action platformer inspired by the greatest hits of the mascot platformer genre. In it, you take control of Rascal, a nimble kid with a lot of attitude and a knack for adventure. Rascal is part of an ancient civilization long forgotten; One day the island they inhabit gets attacked by a mysterious individual looking to uncover the secrets of the Shards, and it's up to Rascal and his friends to foil their plans and restore peace to the island once again.​

Project Rascal has been in development for almost a year and it's the brain child of two brazilians with a passion for game development. This is the very first release of the game and as such, things may seem a bit rough around the edges. All the feedback is appreciated. If you would like to contact us, or simply just find other people with a similar interest in the game please join our Official Discord Server.​

If you would like to help us develop the game, you can do so by supporting us on Patreon or simply by following us on Twitter and telling your friends about the project. We hope you have a great time with it!​

Playstation Controller Users:
Currently DualShock 4 and DualSense controllers are not supported by the game and can cause some weirdness even if just plugged. If you have one of those and wish to use it to play the game, please use Steam to set up the controller or an emulator such as DS4Win.

Rascal
is the game's main protagonist. He's very acrobatic and courageous. Bounce, grind, jump, drop kick and dash through beautiful stylized landscapes with this goofball with a passion for adventure.

He's incredibly nimble and has a powerful set of abilities that help him navigate and make the most out of the terrain. Rascal is also capable of turning himself into a ball and move around with ease and achieve great speeds.​

PS_LS_stick.png
- Movement
XB_A.png
- Jump
XB_X.png
- Action
XB_B.png
- Bounce

XB_LT.png
or
XB_RT.png
- Ball Form

Screenshots.png

SAGEScreenshot_01.png
SAGEScreenshot_02.png
SAGEScreenshot_03.png
SAGEScreenshot_04.png
SAGEScreenshot_05.png
SAGEScreenshot_06.png
SAGEScreenshot_07.png
SAGEScreenshot_08.png

Reactions: Ice and SonicXkid

Latest reviews

omg this game feels wonderful to control just base movement is so snappy. still I feel like his brake could use a buff/removed at slow speeds as its better to just turn around and it can feel weird to suddenly slow down weirdly when you were turning so freely a second ago. also it feels really unique I haven't played a game like it yet in terms of style. I feel like the camera turning when you move slightly to the right or left can make it hard to go in a straight line. not being able to look behind you while running feels a bit wrong. Also I feel like his stun is way too long. I like that the camera remembers your vertical rotation and doesnt change it. kind of like how looking down makes the camera zoom out
Last edited:
Just an incredibly fun and polished exploration based 3D platformer. Reminds me of some of the best 3D Sonic fangames like Sonic Utopia, only with interesting additions like enemy jacking, rolling, bounce physics, double jumps, and air dashes.

My only complaint is that sometimes you have no idea if you're going forward (which is also awesome), and sometimes I wish the bouncing lets you go even wilder.

Otherwise, just a perfect demo. Loved every second.
ashtimbo
ashtimbo
I feel like sonic gt has quite the issue with the feeling of going forward. I personally think this game handles it better but I get you
Shoot, i was in the middle of a comment, got distracted... came back and closed the tab without posting it... good job Dash!

Okay basically what I WAS trying to say was this is my favorite game I've played at Sage this year. I love the graphics style. It's simple, yet so pleasant to look at. The character is very cute and although he controls a lot like Sonic, there's enough differences that it's not a direct copycat.

I love exploration games and there's so much to find and explore in this. I found myself going back over areas I knew I had been just to see if I had missed something.

The engine is very solid as well. I really enjoyed this. I hope you can get further with it. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait for an update
Reactions: P3DR0

Comments

Although it's pretty much a "Sonic Adventure", it's a very competent game with great graphics and nice music. The physics work very well and controls handle very well.
Hope to see a twist in this project in the future

Item information

Added by
P3DR0
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.25 star(s) 4 ratings

More in Original Games

More from P3DR0