don't click here

SAGE 2022 - Demo Project Mustard

General Information

Project Mustard is about trying to create a fun / fresh 3d Sonic experience. Built from scratch, so there will be differences in terms of controls if you are used to games made in existing frameworks, as well as some buggy-ness probably. But all of the basics from Sonic are here. Currently the project is very very early in development and is more of a showcase of simple ideas.

Itch.io Link: DOWNLOAD

Some Screenshots:
Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (4).png
Screenshot (5).png
Screenshot (7).png
Screenshot (8).png
Screenshot (9).png

Latest reviews

SAGE 22 - Sonic Fan Game 14 out of 69 - Project Mustard
A project to feel like a Sonic game from scratch

I can't help but get a vibe familiar to Dream projects with this fan game. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad by any means but with what I'm going to say, you'll see what I mean by this.

I think I played enough of the game to say, the controls feel off-putting to me, to say the least. They feel floaty and very slippery to control well, except when you're rolling, you have some of the tightest turning when rolling but in turn, you lose speed.
Homing Attack is kinda janky to use in this game. It works fine enough, but I kept getting hit by projectiles when trying to use it a lot for defeating enemies, and sometimes it doesn't even connect.
Might as well talk about how you gain speed in this fan game; so instead of usually earning your momentum by running and gaining it by going down hills, you instead use the dash action to gain speed without the need of gaining it. It's similar to the boost in a way and could be an interesting way of gaining speed, but I seriously think this should be toned down or limited since it's ridiculously more overpowered than a Sonic boost. There is no use for using a roll besides just tighter turning.

With this being said, I still had a good time dashing around and trying to get height in this game. I just think there are some things that should be tweaked to make it feel more satisfying, mainly the controls.

Comments

Yello, I'm a person that is planning on reviewing every Sonic fan game so that includes yours. Though, I am wondering if you are aware of this popping up when clicking on downloads.
I don't doubt that this is safe but just making sure. Though probably best not to ask an owner when it comes to that situation, but I don't have much choice in the matter here.

Hello SpiffyRuffleroni.
I'm not sure if the quarantine is still in effect since I don't get the same message when opening up the itch page when not logged in, nor did I get an email about it so I didn't know about this until seeing your reply. I assume that means everything is fine. Really all you would be downloading is a zip file of the exported unity project, so it should be safe. Perhaps I got flagged since I got a spike in people seeing the project at the start of SAGE 22 and Itch assumed it was bots, but that's just me guessing. I'm not sure what else could have caused it since I have been pretty inactive on Itch overall.
Hope this clears things up.

Item information

Added by
AtlerGibby
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.00 star(s) 1 ratings

More in Fan Games

Share this item