don't click here

SAGE 2023 - Demo Monster World IV Regenesis

General Information

Monster World IV Regenesis is a fan made role-playing game to celebrate the 35th anniversary of Wonder Boy. It features combat that expands on the original Monster World IV formula along with combat directly inspired by the popular ATB (Active Time Battle) system introduced in Final Fantasy IV, but with its own unique gimmicks.

All feedback is welcome and the full version is in development now!

Game Page:

Reactions: Ice

Comments

The pictures for this post don't seem to be displaying FYI
Oh! I noticed earlier, but have no idea why they won't display. I'll try re-uploading them!

Edit: I tried to re-upload them and I'm assuming that it doesn't support the webp format. We can't upload screens directly it seems, so I've removed them for now.

Last edited:
Beautiful job on this game! I really love light-hearted RPGs like this that add interesting overworld mechanics!

If I were to suggest anything, it would be that you not be able to kill enemies on the map with your weapon in most cases, but just stun them. And if you stun them, that you get a battle advantage maybe. I think that would help incentivize the RPG elements. If you want to avoid battle, you can always jump over the enemy.

Beautiful job on this game! I really love light-hearted RPGs like this that add interesting overworld mechanics!

If I were to suggest anything, it would be that you not be able to kill enemies on the map with your weapon in most cases, but just stun them. And if you stun them, that you get a battle advantage maybe. I think that would help incentivize the RPG elements. If you want to avoid battle, you can always jump over the enemy.

Thank you so much! That particular bit has been something people have mentioned a handful of times, so I suppose It would be wise to do something about it. Will do my best!

Welcome back, fellow Monster Worlder! I removed my review with the intention of updating it for the SAGE23 version, but it turns out that I uhh, can't actually make another review even though it's not there anymore. That's awkward. I guess I'll just have to do this as a comment then.

As far as I can tell, the only issue that remained completely unfixed from my old review was the inability to jump while holding up or down. I'm still of the mind that physically attacking enemies in the overworld should initiate a fight with an ambush advantage for your party too, but don't get me wrong, I'm glad that there's an option that emphasizes the RPG side of this game at all now! So, that in mind, my impressions will probably be a lot different now that I actually had a reason to fight things properly.

If I had any advice for you going forward, it would be to not get too attached to designing around party members you aren't supposed to have yet. Even having systematically murdered almost every enemy in the leadup to the Tower of Silence's boss in RPG mode this time, my entire party of three was running on fumes by the time I managed to take it down, left with nothing but basic attacks at the end - as it stands right now, I can't imagine Asha tackling this fight alone. Likewise, there are quite a lot of jumps that are very difficult if not impossible without Pepe, and while I understand the rationale that you will get to fast travel back to these areas later in the full game to reap benefits you wouldn't get before, there's a mandatory jump in the Tower of Silence itself (specifically in the F4 backrooms, trying to jump from a moving vertical elevator through a semisolid platform) that is unusually difficult to make without Pepe and should probably be adjusted as such.

Speaking of Tower of Silence, the bug that caused all music to cease there is only semi-fixed - it still plays going in, but one time after winning an RPG battle all the music ceased again. If it matters, it was first fight with the mummy after reactivating the elevator. Using the ingame restart function didn't fix it, but hard quitting the game and reopening it did. Thanks a lot for fixing that Esc key thing, incidentally! SO much less stressful and irritating now that I don't have any risk of losing progress by accident.

That's about everything I had written down in my notes. As usual, good luck finishing this!

Welcome back, fellow Monster Worlder! I removed my review with the intention of updating it for the SAGE23 version, but it turns out that I uhh, can't actually make another review even though it's not there anymore. That's awkward. I guess I'll just have to do this as a comment then.

As far as I can tell, the only issue that remained completely unfixed from my old review was the inability to jump while holding up or down. I'm still of the mind that physically attacking enemies in the overworld should initiate a fight with an ambush advantage for your party too, but don't get me wrong, I'm glad that there's an option that emphasizes the RPG side of this game at all now! So, that in mind, my impressions will probably be a lot different now that I actually had a reason to fight things properly.

If I had any advice for you going forward, it would be to not get too attached to designing around party members you aren't supposed to have yet. Even having systematically murdered almost every enemy in the leadup to the Tower of Silence's boss in RPG mode this time, my entire party of three was running on fumes by the time I managed to take it down, left with nothing but basic attacks at the end - as it stands right now, I can't imagine Asha tackling this fight alone. Likewise, there are quite a lot of jumps that are very difficult if not impossible without Pepe, and while I understand the rationale that you will get to fast travel back to these areas later in the full game to reap benefits you wouldn't get before, there's a mandatory jump in the Tower of Silence itself (specifically in the F4 backrooms, trying to jump from a moving vertical elevator through a semisolid platform) that is unusually difficult to make without Pepe and should probably be adjusted as such.

Speaking of Tower of Silence, the bug that caused all music to cease there is only semi-fixed - it still plays going in, but one time after winning an RPG battle all the music ceased again. If it matters, it was first fight with the mummy after reactivating the elevator. Using the ingame restart function didn't fix it, but hard quitting the game and reopening it did. Thanks a lot for fixing that Esc key thing, incidentally! SO much less stressful and irritating now that I don't have any risk of losing progress by accident.

That's about everything I had written down in my notes. As usual, good luck finishing this!
Yo! It's good hearing from you again and thank you for your valuable feedback! You're one of the reasons why things continue to improve with the game as it helps to have those who can give some in-depth reports on a variety of categories. I'm taking notes on this now and working to implement everything as soon as I can! :D

Item information

Added by
XBuster
Views
Comments
Last update

Downloads

More in Fan Games

More from XBuster

Share this item