don't click here

SAGE 2022 - Demo Monster World IV Regenesis

Overview

Monster World IV Regenesis is a fan made role-playing game to celebrate the 35th anniversary of Wonder Boy. It features combat that expands on the original Monster World IV formula along with combat directly inspired by the popular ATB (Active Time Battle) system introduced in Final Fantasy IV, but with its own unique gimmicks.

The full version is in development now!

Game Page:

Credits

Lead
XBuster

Remix Composer(s)
Swine is Online
Neo-Midgar

Tester(s)
Fernando
Eon Sonny
Remited
Wolfram
Otaku Fantaku
Arifkunvid

Music
Monster World IV
Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World

Sound Effects
Monster World IV
Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
Reactions: Ice

Latest reviews

Making notes as I go:

- I'm not convinced this game needs six individual intro splash screens.
- Is there any controller support? If there is, I couldn't get it to work.
- It's apparently impossible to jump if you're holding up or down? I can't tell if this is intentional or not but it makes performing up and down thrusts in the overworld really aggravating.
- This shop has a LOT of unused space. Feel like there's plenty enough to just list every available item onscreen at once.
- The lack of proper music looping is starting to bother me already.
- All the music stopped altogether during the Tower of Silence, even the battle themes. Restarting the game did not fix this so I assume it's unique to that area. Speaking of which:
- ESC closes the entire game without warning. Lost a good bit of progress thinking it would just pause the game. Irritating. Please for the love of god remove this.
- There's a pair of coyotes in Tower of Silence F4 backrooms that flash epilepsy colours for some reason???
- I've gotten into RPG fights like three times in this whole tower so far because it's genuinely so much more trivial to stunlock enemies into oblivion in the overworld with basic sword swings. Honestly I would remove the ability to kill enemies in the overworld at all and just make hitting enemies serve a different purpose, EG: starting an RPG fight with a turn one advantage instead, because the lower rewards isn't really enough of a disincentive to prevent you from just playing this like a regular Monster World game.
- I accidentally hit ESC a second time and at this point I just didn't have the patience to redo half the dungeon again.

ESC key thing aside, there's potential here - mostly just needs some quality of life changes as it progresses. Cautiously optimistic for future updates.

Comments

The pictures for this post don't seem to be displaying FYI
Oh! I noticed earlier, but have no idea why they won't display. I'll try re-uploading them!

Edit: I tried to re-upload them and I'm assuming that it doesn't support the webp format. We can't upload screens directly it seems, so I've removed them for now.

Last edited:
Beautiful job on this game! I really love light-hearted RPGs like this that add interesting overworld mechanics!

If I were to suggest anything, it would be that you not be able to kill enemies on the map with your weapon in most cases, but just stun them. And if you stun them, that you get a battle advantage maybe. I think that would help incentivize the RPG elements. If you want to avoid battle, you can always jump over the enemy.

Item information

Added by
XBuster
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
3.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games

More from XBuster