SAGE 2020 - Demo Midi & Melody

Overview

Midi's really gotten himself in trouble this time. From being pelted with explosives to dashing through a water and lava purification plant, there's nothing this cat won't do to save the world, even if he is a little under-powered. Follow Midi through this speedy, yet perilous journey to stop Professor Phosphor!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE GAME FOR FREE ON ITCH.IO:

You should check out our Discord server:

Check out our Twitter!

While you're at it, check out Gabe and Dolphman's twitter too!

Dolphman:
[/URL]

Gabe'sShenanigans:

Media

Updates

Current update: 1.2.2
Drayton Shoreline: 3 areas, 2 bosses

Bugs Fixed (1.2.2):
-Mace Droid mace no longer stays spawned after the droid itself dies.
-Mace Droid animation updated.
-You can now cling to gems no matter what pubble you have equipped.
-The dash is now marginally more balanced (Originally it would shoot you off at top speed, probably not good :/).
-Spelling and text errors have all been fixed (Sensetsetive lmao).
-Weird platform bug in the tutorial has been fixed (Invisible platform would ruin your jumps, kiazo Midi basically).
-The Drayton Shoreline major boss no longer shoots out of the arena for no reason (Ice Pubbles caused it to literally fly out of the arena).
-Rolling feels more natural (Changed so you can't activate while holding right or left).
-You can no longer activate a roll on the Spring Bars in Drayton Shoreline (Caused your Y pos to be locked and made you float around like some weird genie).
-Ice Spikes no longer melt through bosses (This one was a really bad exploit and I'm so glad someone spotted it)
-The Drayton Shoreline Major boss now has contact damage (Apparently, clipping on top of the boss is actually a bad thing, who knew?).
-Midi GX added and refined, can be found in the Extras Menu (This one is really fun, I suggest trying it out once you beat the game normally).
-The background of Drayton Shoreline has been refined massively, to include a much nicer view. (The original mountains looked like Doritos)
-A few old textures were fixed, along with some signs, pubbles, text, and explosions.
-Credits have been added, they're pretty important.

Credits

Main programmer:
Makeshift (Me)

Composers:
Gabe'sShenanigans
Makeshift

Artists:
Makeshift
Dolphman
Marblez
Monmon
Marcy (Mars)

Writer:
David McNeil
Makeshift

Comments

Finally played this one, but had some mixed feelings.

The graphics are phenomenal. The pixel art really "pops" and everything looks quite beautiful.

I feel like the gameplay bites off more than it can chew. Midi has a lot of moves at his disposal, but none of them feel fully fleshed out. He can spin with X like Crash Bandicoot, and sometimes this attack launches you forward at max speed. It only does that sometimes, though, and it's hard to predict when it does. Choosing and launching pubbles is an interesting mechanic, but I haven't found a use for them outside of situational moments. They can also WRECK the framerate if they get stuck in walls or there are too many onscreen. They're way too easy to spam. Launching yourself from crystals is a cool mechanic, but it seemed to work about half the time.

For a game like this, I'd suggest picking one-or-two mechanics to focus on and design the game around those, rather than having a whole arsenal. That way, levels are more intuitive and there's less that can go wrong in terms of bugs and mistakes.

Looking at the patch notes tells me that you're listening to feedback and working to polish the game, though, which is a good sign! Some of the things I had trouble with were mentioned in them, so I don't know if I played the current version or an old one. Regardless, I'm looking forward to how this one progresses!

Finally played this one, but had some mixed feelings.

The graphics are phenomenal. The pixel art really "pops" and everything looks quite beautiful.

I feel like the gameplay bites off more than it can chew. Midi has a lot of moves at his disposal, but none of them feel fully fleshed out. He can spin with X like Crash Bandicoot, and sometimes this attack launches you forward at max speed. It only does that sometimes, though, and it's hard to predict when it does. Choosing and launching pubbles is an interesting mechanic, but I haven't found a use for them outside of situational moments. They can also WRECK the framerate if they get stuck in walls or there are too many onscreen. They're way too easy to spam. Launching yourself from crystals is a cool mechanic, but it seemed to work about half the time.

For a game like this, I'd suggest picking one-or-two mechanics to focus on and design the game around those, rather than having a whole arsenal. That way, levels are more intuitive and there's less that can go wrong in terms of bugs and mistakes.

Looking at the patch notes tells me that you're listening to feedback and working to polish the game, though, which is a good sign! Some of the things I had trouble with were mentioned in them, so I don't know if I played the current version or an old one. Regardless, I'm looking forward to how this one progresses!
Thanks for the feedback here! We have noticed a few problems you've had here and we absolutely plan to resolve them. More will be explained in a Twitter post that is planned soon, so maybe go check out our twitter to see how we're gonna fix up the mechanics! (Totally not a shameless plug)

Hello,
i was trying to play this game, but either Windows Defender or my Anti-Virus Software Kaspersky Internet Security confuses it with a virus and deletes it immediately.
Could you please put it in another file, which wouldn’t be confused with a virus?

Hello,
i was trying to play this game, but either Windows Defender or my Anti-Virus Software Kaspersky Internet Security confuses it with a virus and deletes it immediately.
Could you please put it in another file, which wouldn’t be confused with a virus?
Unfortunately, I can't, that's a problem with the engine I have used to build the game. You'll have to find a way around the antivirus.

Item information

Added by
Makeshift
Views
Comments
Last update

More in Original Games

Share this item