Hyper's Quest 2 SAGE (HQ2 August 2018 Demo)

Project Overview

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Before playing the game, PLEASE read the readme file. It has vital info on how to play the game properly, as well as tips and tricks on things the game itself never talks about.
Thank you for reading through that, and enjoy the ride!

(This demo is outdated and hasn't aged well)
What you're about to play is the culmination of over 9 1/2 months of work...

STORY (outdated): Following his recent defeat at the hands of his arch-nemesis, Dr. Robotnik notices a growth in Sonic's social media popularity. Fed up with constantly being out-staged by his archenemy, the mad doctor sees the perfect opportunity to unleash his seemingly most destructive robot yet: Quickshot, a robot wasp with symbiote technology and built using data from Phantom Ruby shards. Just as Robotnik is about to unleash his new cyborg, the robot acts up and turns on his master, setting out to capture Sonic's beloved fans to lure the hedgehog into a trap. Encasing the fans in bubbles and trapping them in a nexus of intertwining dimensions known as the Tube-iverse (or Tuber-verse, call it what you will), Quickshot threatens to eradicate them if Sonic doesn't show up within a week.

There's one problem, however: these special zones are infused with Null Space, due to a glitch contained within Quickshot himself.

Meanwhile, Hyper has just finished his new watch, the Limit Breaker; a special, custom-made contraption that can pull the plug on his unrestrained teleporting and keep his own "glitch" at bay. Still bothered by his last adventure, he learns that most of the major Youtubers in the Sonic community have been abducted by Robotnik's new robot. Despite his actions and experiences in the first game, he sets off to help save the world in hopes of redemption for his recent misadventure, running into Sonic and Knuckles along the way, not even realizing what (or who) he's truly up against.

The fate of the fandom now lies in their hands...

Demo Includes:
-6 zones
-2 boss fights
-Fully animated cutscenes
-3 playable characters

Screenshots and media!

Bonus Content

Backstory: The year was 2017. I was 15 and working on my first fangame (and my first game that wasn't ANOTHER FREAKING SCRATCH PROJECT). I had spent months having staring contests with Game Maker tutorials (albeit for the wrong version of Game Maker) and when I wasn't doing that, I was making music, dealing with sprites (albeit recolored sprites), and a million other things. After some months of development and not that much advertising, Hyper's Quest: Mystic Warp (made in Game Maker 8.1...lite) became a thing! I had pushed the game out to Youtube in a small screenshot video and the result...was not that big. There was a little feedback and it didn't do as well as I had hoped, but when Sonic Amateur Games Expo 2017 happened...

You all know how it transpired. Need I repeat it? It's already hard to defeat it. Now look at the mess that we've got!

After Mystic Warp's failure, I didn't hear the end of it for a while. So I got started on and had someone on Youtube announce a remake of the game. Ideas flew across the table and back during the next few weeks following SAGE until I rewrote the story, scrapped the old concepts and released the first demo (that I now consider a prototype) on October 19th, 2017 as Hyper's Quest: Tube-iverse in Peril (or Tubeiverse...or Tuberverse...call it what you will).

Was it good? I'd be lying if I said it was. The demo was poorly designed and looked like it had been put together in 5 minutes. Gameplay wise, it wasn't nearly as bad as Hyper's Quest 1, but it was still bad graphically, story-wise, from a level design perspective and in every other aspect (quite literally). Hyper was still the same lazy recolor from the first game (only now with rocket boots and a visor fresh from the 80s because apparently that's cool :V), Sonic was broken as all can be with infinite jump dashes and lazily edited sprites, Knuckles was...okay Knuckles was Knuckles, but now he can talk. The point is that I was lazy with the whole thing.

The following December, I released a tech demo with 1 stage (2 if you press a certain key), the same 3 characters and a new story in mind...okay, not that much IT WAS A TECH DEMO ALRIGHT-

The demo was slightly better than the first in terms of graphics, but it was still pretty...ehhhhhhhhhh. Hyper now had the ability to stomp and double jump (both were annoying and absolutely broken respectively), Sonic still had the ability to air dash repeatedly, but now he has the peelout and the drop dash (ooh, yay!), and Knuckles...is still Knuckles. With the exception of a few springs and other things, everything seemed to work as it should've. Graphically, it wasn't much, but it was better than the...thing I released a few months back.

Following the tech demo that holiday season was a lot of nothing (with the exception of a little too much advertising, something that came back to bite me later on) on my end, until the following summer when the Sonic Amateur Games Expo made its rebound for that year. In stark contrast to the year before it when most of the entries were considered mediocre to *ahem* despicable, a lot of the entries in SAGE 2018 were ranging from *AHEM* meh to gosh darn incredible. There were dozens of participants that year and I was (questionably) one of those people. My entry was a remade demo of Hyper's Quest 2: Tube-iverse in Peril (yes, that's what I ended up calling it), and it was...well, not horrible. The graphics were still not as good (I was still lazy, something that also came back to bite me) and Hyper was still the same unoriginal...thing as before, but in terms of everything else, the demo was a huge step forward. Reception was mostly positive, there was a lot of feedback, barrels of constructive criticism left and right, everything was going a lot better than the last two demos AND the dumpster fire that was Hyper's Quest Warp. But then...

...LakeFerperd, the creator of hits like Sonic Before & After the Sequel, streamed Sonic Amateur Games Expo.

Now, this is NOT meant to diss LakeFerperd in any way. Heck, I'm honestly a huge fan of his work and was ultimately inspired by Sonic Chrono Adventure in some of the mechanics for the ORIGINAL Hyper's Quest 1 (some of which stuck around for the final product). But when he streamed his SAGE 2018 playthroughs and got to Hyper's Quest 2: Tube-iverse in Peril...I felt pretty bad.

His review of the demo was pretty negative (I can't entirely blame him nowadays), but that's not why I was upset when I first watched. It was that he didn't play through the whole thing before giving an opinion, and at the time I thought it was unfair. Sure, the demo was graphically displeasing, but I felt mostly downtrodden that he didn't give the whole thing a chance before stating his final thoughts. It was likely to stay on schedule, but at the time I was too anxious and upset to care. I was being childish in my reactions, and sincerely apologize.

The following holiday season (with the holiday season as the intended theme), a new demo came out and a HUGE overhaul with it (you can play it here: http://sonicfangameshq.com/forums/showcase/hypers-quest-2-christmas-2018-demo.248/). Hyper received a brand new look, the game received a brand new story, the graphics were souped up, the gameplay was smoothed over, Hyper and Sonic each got some new moves (Hyper's being the most game changing), and the level design...okay, screw the level design, but the demo was 10 times better than before in nearly every unexplained way. New to the game was an arcade mode, where the player could spend the red rings found in each stage on an assortment of minigames (at the time, there were only two of them). It wasn't much, still, but it was an improvement over the last few releases and definitely over the first game.

Speaking of, Hyper's Quest 1 got re-released around the same time that year, and periodic updates came out until the spring of 2019.

The following summer of 2019, Hyper's Quest 2 got yet another demo, bumping up some of the graphics again as well as changing some level layouts, adding new levels and minigames, changing how the game was played, and adding a shop where players could spend the points they earned on things like shields and new abilities. Like the last few demos before it, there are SonicTubers hidden in some of the stages (though they don't serve any real purpose in the game's story), and you can rescue them just for the heck of it. Some even give you red rings upon doing so, and may or may not appear more than once.

Credits

Lead Developer: HyperSF
Programmers: HyperSF, PM13
Music Team: HyperSF, Trevin Hughes, TheRealNebulord, Cosmo Buggi
Sprite Artists: HyperSF
Cutscene Animation: HyperSF
Featured SonicTubers: Cobanermani456, Knight of the Wind, SPD64, Shadow759, Miss Shadow

Latest reviews

This game is overall creative, honest and heartfelt. Hyper has some interesting abilities that I think could end up benefitting for more difficult boss fights, or at least more health. Gimmicks also work, but there is a lack of them in the stages to be honest.
Most problems I have is that it is obviously a very amateur game, with tile stitching problems, tile dimensions and art style, the second stage doesn't have a scrolling background, an abnormal abundance of bottomless pits for a sonic game, etc, but that's all fine considering where it seems to be coming from. The bosses were overall easy as well, and messy is the word I'd use to describe them most.
It would also be best if the homing attack homed in on springs and monitors as well.
This game is fun to play but it isn't exactly fun to look at most times, in conclusion
HyperSonic Fan
HyperSonic Fan
Thanks for your feedback
I'll do my best to work on these things
This fan-game was surprisingly good from what I had played so far at SAGE 2018. This had nice physics for being on GameMaker. (Nothing wrong with that.) It had an okay story. A Sonic story is really just, "Hey -insert person here- did something bad. Sonic stop him." It was just enough detail to understand what was going on and why you were there. The music was good. The level design is really cool, I really liked where that first red ring is, and it has nice art. How you incorporated somethings from Sonic 2 for SMS and GG was really nice. Keep going, this has potential. EDIT: I forgot to mention the OC character, which had these 80s style glasses, that looked just like a recolor with some minor variations but nothing that is major.
HyperSonic Fan
HyperSonic Fan
Thanks for you feedback ^^
Comments like these make this project feel more worthwile
I love how the stages seem to take inspiration from many of both the 8-bit and 16-bit Sonic games. I also loved the new moves implemented in the game.
HyperSonic Fan
HyperSonic Fan
I'm very glad. Thank you for playing the demo. ^^
There are many things that will be different in the future, so stay tuned.

Comments

you put together some pretty cool abilities in this game, this was fun to play :)

you put together some pretty cool abilities in this game, this was fun to play :)
I'm glad you liked it ^^
Keep in mind, however, that there are still a few things that need fixing (e.g; the bosses, I currently have no idea how to fix those, but I'll keep trying)

Personally, I don't think this game turned out as well as I thought it would.

I appreciate all of your nice comments and reviews, really I do! But I feel unsatisfied with this game. There were glitches, the gameplay sucked, there was significant slowdown in one of the levels that I didn't bother to fix, and the main character is the biggest problem out of anything! The game's only saving grace was the absolutely PHENOMENAL soundtrack, composed by some of the best chiptune artists a dork like me could ever work with.

I appreciate all of your nice comments and reviews, really I do! But I feel unsatisfied with this game. There were glitches, the gameplay sucked, there was significant slowdown in one of the levels that I didn't bother to fix, and the main character is the biggest problem out of anything! The game's only saving grace was the absolutely PHENOMENAL soundtrack, composed by some of the best chiptune artists a dork like me could ever work with.
:(

I did have slowdown on the 4th level, but the game isn't that bad. You should not drop it entirely.

Has anyone, ANYONE, read the readme file? Does anyone read those anymore?
Sure, but to answer your question, you're better off putting that kind of thing in the game itself. Not to mention Hyper has the ability to curl into a ball after hitting a spring as well and it's not there
Edit: Excuse me, it would seem I was wrong, it is in fact, there.

A tip for this kind of thing, and take this to heart for Sonic level design. Always have the player slowdown by maybe hitting a wall, a slope and such before peril (enemies, pits, spikes, etc)
Aaand it reset after I Ctrl Shift C to use Gyazo...But that's fine. Would be nice to include a level select later considering it's a demo, and refrain from using mouse controls.

A tip for this kind of thing, and take this to heart for Sonic level design. Always have the player slowdown by maybe hitting a wall, a slope and such before peril (enemies, pits, spikes, etc)
Aaand it reset after I Ctrl Shift C to use Gyazo...But that's fine. Would be nice to include a level select later considering it's a demo, and refrain from using mouse controls.
Gotcha. I'll work on that for the next release.

This is something that even Sonic 1 didn't get right so don't beat yourself up for it

Item information

Added by
HyperSonic Fan
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.00 star(s) 8 ratings

Downloads

More in SAGE 2018 [Archive]

More from HyperSonic Fan