don't click here

Sonic - Project Hero (2019 Demo out NOW!)

Project Overview

"Sonic - Project Hero" is a 3D Sonic Fan Game & custom, CLOSED SOURCE Framework, made for the Unity Game Engine and developed by me, Hero.
"Sonic - Project Hero" aims to launch Sonic, Tails & Knuckles into, simply, a fun 3 dimensional adventure through various locales, to stop Dr. Eggman's new scheme.
The game aims to introduce new and unique mechanics and mix-n'-match existing ones from the Sonic series, in order to create a fresh experience that'll hopefully be fun to go through!

SFGHQLogo.png

Screenshots and media!

------------2019 DEMO (Oct. 4th, 2019)--------------

To celebrate and honor the 2019 edition of the Sonic Amateur Games Expo (aka SAGE), "Sonic - Project Hero" is out to the public for the first time with a short, but relatively content-heavy Demo!

Get it HERE!
Mac Version
(Also available through the sidebar)

For more information about SAGE, check out this video by Expansion Pack!

Bonus Content

For social media, check out my YT Channel!

Discord Server:
--- UPDATE SEP. 2023 ---
The Sonic Project Hero Discord Server has been archived.
This link should be here for a while, if you want to take a look anyway.

Credits

HUGE thanks to everyone who supports/supported this project! I would've never achieved what I have so far without you all!

And special thanks to:
-minty cups
-D the Hedgehog
-「 D E R K 」
-sapphicSpadassin
-(Real)Cypher123
-Goalringmod27
-AzureBurst
-Ryboflavin
-Sir Giygas
-WizGenesis
-piggehperson
-Rishy
-Burst
-Geki
-spoon Scribble
-P3DR0
-Not So Greedy
and more!

Latest reviews

Why is this so good?
S
SonicTheHedgehog4313
how do i play the mac version
S
SonicTheHedgehog4313
this game is amazing i really love the sonic tails and knuckles characters and there super forms too
it handles decently and is just good, I prefer utopia(base handling and camera) and islands(creative movement design). I like some of the animations in this game such as the homing attack, the bounce is really cool and executed uniquely, the control mapping is good (unlike islands). the brake is horrible, it takes forever to slow down like in the boost games. The fov effect has been done well, the spin ball looks a little strange front on as it's a lot wider than the model (fixed in the newest showcased version). when going up a loop the camera looks at the ground instead of the character which can make it difficult to tell where you're going. I like that you can run on water. But yeah solid looking modern game.
It's still better than whatever the hell sega has ever made. I'm looking forward to the newer version it looks a lot better than what's shown here
Reactions: sanic da heg
this engine feels great! How do I play as tails and knuckles tho?
Reactions: sanic da heg

Comments

EDITED: I've resolved my PS4 controller issues and can safely say I thoroughly enjoy this demo! The handling is spot on, it feels fast but not out of control. Each character plays different down to the little details like max speeds, jump height and such. The animations are practically flawless and put most of actual real Sonic game developers to shame (excluding fan devs).

To make this game truly over the top, in my opinion:

1) Give Knuckles and Tails more then just a glowing aura in their super forms, please ^^; I know they only distinctively change colors and such in their hyper forms but it'd be interesting to see them transform like Sonic does rather then just gain an aura and increase speed.

2) At the very least 1 sprawling level for fans and testers to run around on rather then a confined space with a few loops and badnicks spread around. Granted this does sound a bit like choosingbegging and I apologize for it. I don't demand or even ask for it, though it'd be wonderful to play with ^^

3) Shadow, 'nuff said lol

4) I honestly love how the running on water feels and works in this game, especially Knuckles' ability to float in it, I wish there was more of a natural looking formed hole in the ground floor for players to run fully speed across rather then a square pool

None the less, this demo is fantastically crafted and anyone who's even a mild sonic fan should be encouraged to give this a try!

Last edited:
This is amazing. This is what sonic team should be striving to create. Ik that this is just a framework with no actual levels, i'm talking about the way that sonic controls, the animations, the way that he interacts with the environment., its all great. You took everything from the past 3D sonic games and created this beautiful and original take on the formula. I've been following this project from the beginning and I can tell that you actually have a passion for the sonic series. The way that tails and knuckles are implemented are amazing. It's the first time I can think of that they have been implemented in a good way. Just like the classic games, they are like sonic, but with their own gimmicks. That's exactly the way they should be. I can't express how good this is. The animations are super bouncy and fluid, the models are amazing, the traversal is great, the control is great, the speed and momentum are great. Everything is great. I can't wait until an actual level is made using your engine. This is just amazing. Thank you for this.

You Legend. I haven't played it yet, but I've watched the demo videos several times since the project restarted. I think I've been following since the "Somethin ive been working on" video. And now it's finally here. Sega pretends Sonic is about freedom but restricts him to an on-rail style of play. You capture the original design philosophy much better. Though I'm not in any position to make such statements, I think you know better than anyone in Sonic Team how Sonic should work in 3D. I'm glad that you're getting so far. This is what we've been waiting for - as a community. Once we show them how it's done they'll have no choice but to follow suit. It's ironic - I was planning all week to write an article about this project and suddenly this pops up on my feed. Well, if you don't mind - I've got some writing to do.

Last edited:
For being the first demo of the project, I am so surprised! I spent nearly two hours playing with each characters because they are so fun to use! I love how Sonic moveset is mixed with the Adventures games and 06. The same with Knuckles but being able to climb walls and spin dash?! Those "simple" things are the ones I appreciate! And Tails with the bombs from Tails Adventure is quite unique. The controls feel nice either keyboard or a controller, and it is not hard to understand them.There is a lot of polish and love put in this fangame, and I hope to see the very first level. Awesome job Hero and crew!

has the same issues every unity sonic physics demo seems to have with a DS4, constant spinning camera with no way to resolve it

Seemingly unable to leave a proper review, but for the moment I do have a good few thoughts on the project; mostly some small things I want to point out, maybe help improve.

1. I appreciate the ground stomp carrying a small percentage of forward momentum, but perhaps the end act of stomping onto the ground should restrict input, at least for a few frames to keep it balanced and also prevent accidentally slipping off a platform, since as it is you can still move slightly during the recovery.
  2. Perhaps the drop dash should be given a little more of a wind-up? Because as it is, you can repeatedly perform a short hop with 'Action 2' (Bounce, in-air) and initiating a drop dash as soon as it's activated, able to gain a lot more speed than I'd anticipated with something that seems more like a 'running start' than a way of maintaining high speed on flat terrain. Or, in a way, this could be treated as a speedrunner's trick? Still, perhaps just enough so the shortest possible hop with a press of the Jump button would be the minimum to get a successful drop dash.
  3. Personally, I don't think attack actions (Sonic's sweep kick, Tails' tail swipe, etc.) should carry full momentum while running at top speeds. Perhaps they can restrict the player to a percentage of their speed (or even better, on a per-character basis, like say Sonic's attack loses more momentum than Tails')? That is something that '06, as far as I can recall, is lacking, and could be useful for maintaining control if the idea is focusing on attacking enemies (since otherwise if you're keeping the speed going, just use the spin dash).
Honestly, these aren't so much problems moreso than it is ideas at balancing the engine. I do understand that this is a tech demo/early build, so obviously a lot of this could either be already a thing or just not considered. Take the suggestions as you will; because everything else about what you put out there is frankly amazing. I appreciate Badniks being more aggressive than passive as they've tended to be in recent games; the feeling of smooth, flowful control is something new yet satisfying to grasp and I like the emphasis on maintaining speed. Extreme Gears, though I don't personally see why they'd be included, do show promise and work very well, and are quite balanced as an alternative play mode. The additional characters feel polished and fairly balanced between each other, having distinct pros and cons to their styles that can still work in any one environment (though, as an Adventure fan, it would be neat to at least have some sort of radar functionality or vibration near the ME prop when using Knux, maybe as an option like the Extreme Gears).

That's it for today! Thanks for listening!

I'm absolutely loving it so far. The controls are very responsive and the character handling is very good. It feels like a combination of the best ideas from the different Sonic games. I'm just wondering if we are able to remap the debug buttons? In the controls menu, there doesn't seem to be a way of doing it. I'm asking because I currently have certain functions of my computer mapped to the buttons (volume control, etc).

EDITED: I've resolved my PS4 controller issues and can safely say I thoroughly enjoy this demo! The handling is spot on, it feels fast but not out of control. Each character plays different down to the little details like max speeds, jump height and such. The animations are practically flawless and put most of actual real Sonic game developers to shame (excluding fan devs).

1) Give Knuckles and Tails more then just a glowing aura in their super forms, please ^^; I know they only distinctively change colors and such in their hyper forms but it'd be interesting to see them transform like Sonic does rather then just gain an aura and increase speed.

2) At the very least 1 sprawling level for fans and testers to run around on rather then a confined space with a few loops and badnicks spread around. Granted this does sound a bit like choosingbegging and I apologize for it. I don't demand or even ask for it, though it'd be wonderful to play with ^^

4) I honestly love how the running on water feels and works in this game, especially Knuckles' ability to float in it, I wish there was more of a natural looking formed hole in the ground floor for players to run fully speed across rather then a square pool

None the less, this demo is fantastically crafted and anyone who's even a mild sonic fan should be encouraged to give this a try!
What did you do because I'm having the same problem with mine. I use DS4

I can't seem to fix the button layout on my PS4 controller so if anyone could help I would really appreciate it. Also while I was trying out the gameon my keyboard I accidentally pressed the F1 button and the most amazing thing happen. I'm surprised there wasn't any mention of it
Screenshot (5).png

help, I'm having trouble with PS4 control. the camera is spinning forever without me doing anything
how do i fix this?

The Problem is with camera spinnig? how do you fix this?

how'd you do it?

Item information

Added by
Hero
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.83 star(s) 29 ratings

Downloads

More in SAGE 2019 [Archive]