don't click here

Sonic Transitions

Project Overview

Check Out the Updated Demo!
Sonic Transitions

Sonic Transitions

Thank you for checking out Sonic Transitions! This is my attempt to create a game that will eventually connect the events of Sonic SatAM to Sonic 1. This game is still horrendously unfinished, but I'm excited to let you try what's here! Take control of either Sonic or Sally. Blast through the...
Hey! Thanks for checking out Sonic Transitions! This is a short demo set within the universe of the Sonic Saturday Morning Cartoon (Sonic SatAM). The goal for the complete game is to create a transitional story between the SatAM universe and that of Sonic 1. This game is horrendously unfinished, but I'm still excited to let you try what's here!

Take control of either Sonic or Sally. Blast through the Free Territories of Mobius and put a stop to Snively's invasion!
Sonic:
Move with the ARROW KEYS.
Use A, S, or D to jump.
DOWN + JUMP to Spindash.
UP + JUMP to Peelout.
While falling in midair, press JUMP to curl into a ball.
Press DOWN while moving to curl into a ball.
When near an enemy, press the JUMP key twice to use the homing attack. Use the arrows to specify what direction Sonic should travel after hitting the enemy. You need to be quick though!

Sally:
Move with the ARROW KEYS.
Use A to jump.
Use S to shoot.
UP + JUMP to use a weak Peelout.
While uncurled in midair, press DOWN + SHOOT to boost yourself upwards.
Press DOWN while moving to curl into a ball.
  • Added SAGE logo.
  • Refined some tilesets.
  • Fixed a major bug that would crash the game.
  • Debug information can no longer be accessed by pressing "D" on the title screen.
  • Fixed some floating enemy issues.
  • Adjusted collision masks in the second level.
  • Activated level select. Press Up Down Left Right at the title screen.
  • Re-enabled the restart key for emergencies. It is currently bound to the "8" key.
  • Fixed a crash when you try to play as Sally with the trail enabled.
  • Fixed an issue where A, S, or D would be remapped to the spacebar after exiting the options menu.
  • Menu options can now be selected with the A key as well as the Start/Enter key.
  • Fixed some slowdown issues in Free Territories Act 2.
  • Behind the scenes optimization.

Credits

Special thanks to the Sonic MAX Engine team. I couldn't have done this without your hard work.

Artwork:
  • PM13
  • UnstoppableThombo
  • Damien
  • E-122-Psi
  • SEGA
Music:
  • SoundOfAShadow
  • DeepBoss
  • Cinossu
  • SEGA

Latest reviews

Way past cool! But I noticed a bug… When I use a powerup like speed or invincibility, then enter a boss fight, the powerup music stops and both the stage and boss themes play at the same time. Plus if I switch tabs while the game window is open, the music playing from the window speeds up and distorts.

As for requests…

1) Can the takeoff sound during a peelout instead be played on loop while running at max speed with the chargeup sound being like in the show?

2) The special moves - the homing attack, drop-dash, and insta-shield - could be combined into use all at once as such: The drop dash can occur when using a homing attack to "stomp" on a (non-bouncy) surface, and the insta-shield can occur when aiming a homing attack. Could you implement this?

3) Can you use more SatAM-esque ball sprites? With the white segments and that
Reactions: sanic da heg
PM13
PM13
I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Thank you for bringing the music bugs to my attention. The next release should come with fixes for them.

As for the requests:

1) I'll have to see how that sounds in game. Maybe.

2) If I can make it work seamlessly, I might add an option for this. I didn't really want to out of fear of overcomplicating Sonic's moveset. I can get away with that for other characters (like Sally), but the Classic Sonic spirit is simplicity.

3) Maybe...
Why Bother?
Why Bother?
If you can't make it work and you're not thinking about keeping to simplicity, then why not just make it each of the 3 jump buttons can make you do a different actions after jumping?

Something along the lines of:

Pushing/holding A after jumping or recharging your homing attack = Homing Attack

Holding S after jumping = Drop-Dash

pushing C after jumping = Insta-Shield (Or you can make it so the Insta-Shield happens before the Drop-Dash.
Truly magnificent. The physics are perfect and the stages are fun too! Can't wait for more!
Mr. V
Mr. V
Not to metion that GODLY max speed sprite…
This was an incredible demo! Bravo!
Glad you went with the SatAM Universe; it's always refreshing to see it!

"Way Past Cool!" Points:

• Both playable characters Sonic and Sally are a great example of gameplay variety! I found myself being able to feel comfortable speeding around as Sonic, and playing as the more steady Sally is really fun! (I think I enjoy her play style a bit more due to its gun-based combat!)
  • The UI, level aesthetic, and sprite work all work cohesively to make the project look collectively organized and visually pleasing! (In other words, nothing looks out of place.)
  • The music is especially well done; from the chip-tune rendition of SatAM's theme song to the track played in Free Territories Act 2, and everything in between!
  • Appreciated the wide range of ability options you provided the Player with in the Options Menu! A customized skill-set is a creative idea!
"Could Be Better!" Points:
  • I experienced slight slow-down in various areas of the demo, mainly in Free Territories Act 2 near the middle of the act. I replayed multiple times as both characters to see if the problem persisted, and it did. (Perhaps this is exclusive to my end, however. Take this point with a grain of salt!)
  • Perhaps give the Player the ability to access the Options Menu mid-game? Or maybe a 'Resume', 'Restart', and 'Quit/Return to Title Screen' Pause menu!
  • (Suggestion): The ability for the Player to switch inputs in the Options Menu on Sally's attack! I've always felt more comfortable using an X Button for attacks in most games.
  • (Suggestion): Maybe you could consider implementing the ability for Sally to shoot her gun while she's crouching? If Sonic can spindash, Sally could surely Shoot!
    • Alternatively, similar to Sonic's multi-directional Homing Attack (which is fantastic), perhaps the Player could influence the direction Sally's laser bullet is fired while in the air? If possible, great! If not, it's still fun regardless!
Overall: Really promising stuff, and I can't wait to see more of what you do with this project! I'll for sure be keeping an eye on it!
Last edited:
PM13
PM13
I’m very happy you enjoyed it!

Consistency between all the assets was one thing I was very worried about, so it’s an encouragement to hear that you thought they meshed well.

You’re not the only person who’s had some slowdown issues in FTZ Act 2. Still trying to find out what’s going on there. (Doesn’t slow at all on my test PC which makes it so much fun to track down...)

A more extensive pause menu was actually planned, but it didn’t make it into this demo.

She can’t shoot while crouching? I thought I’d fixed that before SAGE... Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Thank you so much for your encouragement and feedback!

Comments

Awesome job translating the SATAM Sonic to a classic-styled 2D game! Really feels like a mainstream Sonic game from another universe. The music was also great, as it was styled consistently throughout the demo (something other fan projects need to learn!) I guess my only quip would be that there's some major slowdown near the teeter totters in Act 2. Not sure if those are to blame of if there's something weird going on with the optimization.

Awesome job translating the SATAM Sonic to a classic-styled 2D game! Really feels like a mainstream Sonic game from another universe. The music was also great, as it was styled consistently throughout the demo (something other fan projects need to learn!) I guess my only quip would be that there's some major slowdown near the teeter totters in Act 2. Not sure if those are to blame of if there's something weird going on with the optimization.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I’ll need to look into that. Was it constant low frames around them? Or just for a moment before the first one?

I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Well, huh... It was an awesome demo. He could mention all its good stuff, but I'd be repeating what others already said in their reviews and comments.

It only had one major bug when I played it: it crashed when I tried to play as Sally. Although it may be a problem with my PC only, 'cause on the other hand, it had none of the bugs mentioned by others.

Alright... This is a really promising game. Keep going, you're doing it right!

This fangame should also credit Cinossu (Sonic Retro/SSRG user) for his songs mashup of S3 Boss Theme and Mikuru Henshin! Soshite Sentou! (basically it's battle theme) from 2006 anime named The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Original SMPS dates back to early SMPS Competitions under SSRG forums. Good game is one thing, but don't forget people who make content!

This fangame should also credit Cinossu (Sonic Retro/SSRG user) for his songs mashup of S3 Boss Theme and Mikuru Henshin! Soshite Sentou! (basically it's battle theme) from 2006 anime named The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Original SMPS dates back to early SMPS Competitions under SSRG forums. Good game is one thing, but don't forget people who make content!
Well that’s embarrassing!
I mistakenly credited TheBlad768 for the music in question. The credits section has been updated accordingly.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. It’s important to me that I give credit where credit is due.

Well, huh... It was an awesome demo. I could mention all its good stuff, but I'd be repeating what others already said in their reviews and comments.

It only had one major bug when I played it: it crashed when I tried to play as Sally. Although it may be a problem with my PC only, 'cause on the other hand, it had none of the bugs mentioned by others.

Alright... This is a really promising game. Keep going, you're doing it right!
I withdraw what I said in the second paragraph: I used another computer, and I managed to play as Sally with no problem.

I withdraw what I said in the second paragraph: I used another computer, and I managed to play as Sally with no problem.
I’m glad it resolved itself. I’m still curious as to what happened on your first PC... Did the game crash with an error?

I have no idea how to even get this to run. Am I missing something? If I try to run it, it opens the file exporter, where my files are.

I have no idea how to even get this to run. Am I missing something? If I try to run it, it opens the file exporter, where my files are.
The file is a .zip file, a way of compressing the game to save space. If you are running an up to date version of Windows, right click the file, and click “Extract.” If that option is unavailable, you will need to use 3rd party software (like 7-zip or WinRar) to extract the game.

If you still have trouble running the game, PM me.

The file is a .zip file, a way of compressing the game to save space. If you are running an up to date version of Windows, right click the file, and click “Extract.” If that option is unavailable, you will need to use 3rd party software (like 7-zip or WinRar) to extract the game.

If you still have trouble running the game, PM me.
Ah. Coolio. Thanks.

So I don't know if this is a glitch or not, but if you press the pause button sometime after the screen flashes in the special stages, a sign will show up saying "Sonic The Hedgehog" but if you do nothing, it wont show up. Here's a comparison.

If you never push pause:

If you do:

If you could clarify if this is a glitch or something that would be great.

So I don't know if this is a glitch or not, but if you press the pause button sometime after the screen flashes in the special stages, a sign will show up saying "Sonic The Hedgehog" but if you do nothing, it wont show up. Here's a comparison.

If you never push pause:
View attachment 9943

If you do:
View attachment 9944

If you could clarify if this is a glitch or something that would be great.
Well that’s a first!
Yes, that’s a glitch I’ll have to look into.
As this listing is an older build, I’ll need to verify this happens in the recent versions.
Thanks for letting me know!

Well that’s a first!
Yes, that’s a glitch I’ll have to look into.
As this listing is an older build, I’ll need to verify this happens in the recent versions.
Thanks for letting me know!
Actually, I was using version 2.6, and that's probably the latest version. So I'm pretty sure this happens in the recent versions.

Item information

Added by
PM13
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.67 star(s) 6 ratings

More in SAGE 2019 [Archive]

More from PM13

Share this item