don't click here

Sonic Chaos - Turquoise Hill Demo

Project Overview

Sonic Chaos

Sonic Chaos is a fan game and re-imagining of the 1993 Sega Game Gear and Master System platform game of the same name. Based on the current style of 2D classic Sonic games inspired by Sonic Mania, Sonic Chaos updates the 8 bit visuals of the original and adapts a play style more closely resembling the classic 16-bit games. The game has been in development for almost an entire year, of which the last 3 months was spent building a brand new engine from scratch. Sonic Chaos uses this new engine, Crimson Engine, and with it we've strived for classic Sonic gameplay accuracy.

Updates:
Since the initial release, even after only a few hours; we've already gotten tons of feedback and bug reports. We're so glad to see this many people enjoying the demo, and we'd like to make it the best we can!
So even though SAGE has begun, we'll be releasing plenty of updates during the event, stay tuned!

08/25/2018 - Update 1:
- Icon added
- Act 2 Boss refinements
- Fixed Act 2 boss softlocks
- Fixed bug where roll state is kept during act clear on act 2
- Demo now restarts at the titlescreen upon completion instead of closing

08/25/2018 - Update 2:
- Various Collision issues in Act 1 and Act 2 fixed
- Object placement issues in act 2 fixed
- Platforms above a bottomless pit in Act 1 have been changed to stay floating
- Fixed some pathswapping issues in both Acts

08/29/18 - Update 3:
- A frame cap has been implemented!
- Act 2 background has been optimized
- Shield fixes
- Tails gets properly put into spring-mode when he lands on a moto-spring while flying
- A bug where the player turns invisible in an S-Tube has been fixed
- Ring monitors now properly give an extra life upon passing 100 rings
- Falling platforms not being destroyed after going offscreen while falling is fixed
- Object solidity adjustments
- Monitor collision has been adjusted/corrected
- A music crashing bug accidentally introduced in 1.2 has been fixed
- Level layouts have been slightly adjusted to improve play experience and provide better direction

Update 3 will most likely be our last update until the next demo. Thanks to everyone who played! We've got lots of work to do!

Screenshots and media!

Credits

A+Start - Project Lead, Lead Designer, and Artist
Mr. Poe - Project Lead, Lead Programmer, Crimson Engine Programmer
TheStoneBanana - Chaos Engine & Gameplay Programmer
Michael Staple - Lead Composer & Musician
Heraga - Lead Level Designer
Jassbec - Level Designer
Tpot - Additional Programming and Assistance

Latest reviews

HI!
It's massive massacre :) LOVE THIS DEMO!
But.. 4 years ago and still no other demo or full game? Such a shame!

Mini boss in act 1 was fine, but boss in act 2.. fantastic!
I never play Chaos yet too but in this case i wish for more then 1 zone demo only..

Shall be more in nearly future?? Keep my fingers crossed..

PS:
Last edited:
very impressive, the game is very fluid and very sonic taking elements from almost all older games its very refreshing to play. i am looking forward to seeing more this in the future.
I've played the original Sonic Chaos, and as easy as that game was, I found it incredibly fun and a good game to be one of the first games from the series I played. Unfortunately, I don't think the same about this game.

The level design for the first act of Turquoise Hill is okay at worst. At best, it feels like Sonic 1. Act 2 though... I wasn't sure where to go -- the stage kept forcing me backwards along the path I came, and in other parts it wasn't clear where to go. There aren't a lot of enemies there, either. I nearly received a Time Over before I gave up. The Zone hasn't got any truly memorable sections, which is a shame since I remember a couple of sections from the original, even though it's been years since I last played that game. I would've much preferred a straightforward port of the original's layout. It's been like 20-30 minutes since I played this game and I can only remember the areas of the second Act that I had to run through more than once, and maybe another one or two.

The look of this game is alright. The pixel art is impressive, and the spritework is really skilful, but I never liked the aesthetic of Sonic Mania. Arguably a personal preference, but I feel it didn't do justice to the original game it was based on and simply played on nostalgia for Sonic 2. Sonic Chaos had its own distinctive style, and I feel it would be way better if you remastered or even just touched up on the original's look for the sprites. The landscape and backgrounds are really pretty, although the ground and walls look a little too flat and shiny. The music really fits the Zone, though!

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, but I really want to see this become the best it can be. I don't intend any hate. I'm excited for any new updates and demos, since Sonic Chaos is a game I love, and I wish you luck with it. Thank you!
Last edited:

Comments

hi my name is sonic safi im a youtuber and im intersted on your work doing sonic chaos when i first saw the trailer i was like "mmmm ok....." after that you still doing it u have remarkable friends and followers supporting u and your group amezingly u guys have a good day and night.

This is great for being able to pull so much out of Sonic Chaos and turn it into something that really feels like it could belong in Sonic Mania. On that note, I wondered if it would be possibly faster and easier to just mod Mania with the Chaos levels like this. This felt much more hand-made , which definitely has a genuine feel, though there were an instance or two where I ended up in some walls. I personally loved this, though since it's using a custom engine, I'd love to see maybe some additional characters or character mechanics in the future, something that sets it apart from just being something that could be just a mod for Mania. Sonic Chaos was a pretty short game so I'm sure there's a lot you could do with it in making a more modern adaptation.

I love this game! it does feel like i am playing a sonic fan game using sonic worlds though.

Just made an account to compliment you on a fantastic demo! I thought I was playing a insane mania mod until I finished and seen its a different engine. Very impressive! Sonic controls just like the classics and mania and it felt completely normal to just pick up and enjoy without adjusting to weird physics. The activated tree climbing things were very cool and very fluid. First act was perfect. The second act was good but it threw me for a loop :emoji_laughing:. I instinctively just wanted to go right and after going left for a while and then descending I started second guessing myself a lot. Overall tho this demo is fantastic. Alot of other fan demos or submissions tend to lack a natural flow in how the level progresses and the artistic aspect is always empty or over crowded. This was a perfect balance. Cant wait to play future levels down the road.

This should become official, and then the art at the top is the home menu icon. Sega's making fangames official now.

I´ve discovered two or three bugs in your Awesome project, they are in that short video.
He descubierto 2 o 3 bugs en tu alucinante proyecto, salen en este pequeño vídeo:
Sonic Chaos 16-bit gameplay: https://youtu.be/TIZyfQFNB_g
I hope this help you
Espero que esto te ayude

First of all, the sprites are very nice. Also pretty good for a Fan-Game. I really liked the song remixes of the game. But I think it's too short. 3 years have passed and I haven't noticed any difference from when I first played. There are a few too many glitches in the game. It would be better if they update the game a little bit.

Item information

Added by
Mr. Potatobadger
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.53 star(s) 51 ratings

Downloads

More in SAGE 2018 [Archive]

Share this item