don't click here

Project Overview

Demo 2 - Test levels and Coco
Demo 1 can be found here (click!)!

Click here to download Demo 2!

The progress keeps rolling! A 2D fangame of Crash Bandicoot series, inspired by the original Playstation 1 Crash games while gameplay-wise closer to the Gameboy Crash games. While not as pretty as the first demo, this one is all about showing new gameplay elements, testing how things work, and just overall seeing how the game runs. Coco, the new playable character with her mini-kart sidescroller levels, is playble for the first time in this demo! The (test) levels here will be scrapped after this demo. Please enjoy the demo! And please let us know of any glitches or bugs!

1upnew.png

Windows .exe
Single player
Platformer, slow and fast stages
3 completed test stages with a bonus stage to unlock!
Some custom music, alot of placeholder stuff
Xbox and PS4 controller support

There's a chance PS4 controller won't work as intended, if this is the case please let me know and use alternative methods to play with those controllers
Keyboard layout choices!

akuuka.png

NEW DEFAULT KEYBOARD CONTROLS:

Space - Jump
D - Spin
S - Crouch when idle, slide while moving, body slam when mid-air
A - Show HUD when standing still, run faster while moving
Enter/ESC - Pause
You can change the layout from the Main Menu or from the Pause Menu​

Screenshots and media!

Bonus Content

Patchnotes for this demo during SAGE:
Before public release:

-Fixed Aku Aku placement issues
-Added PS4 controller support (geez finally, lemme know if it works)
-Made Game Over screen a tad prettier, still WIP though

During SAGE, v1.01
-Fixed Game Over earrape problem
-Xbox controllers shooould work properly now, hit Start in a stage if it doesn't

HOW TO COCO:
- Jumping is important! Jump at the peak of the ramps to gain more height!
- When TNT hits you, jump multiple times to get it off you!
- You don't need to spin every crate type, only the locked crates

Do the crates and how they work confuse you? Check out this

Guide to Crates!
Also on Deviantart!

Note: not all of these crates are used in the demo!

Credits

For news on the game in one place, check out and follow:
https://twitter.com/NipponKawai

Game by:

Metalsonic3
AKA Jargonfox
I also did crate graphics and background/stage graphics
https://www.youtube.com/user/metallipaska3333
https://jargonfox.deviantart.com/

Crash and Coco animations, Neo Cortex icon, wumpas, crystals and gems,
effects, particles, etc. by:

Tyrzi
https://twitter.com/ntyrzi

Original music tracks by:

OzoneOne

Alot of music used as placeholder from Crash Team Racing and Crash Bash!

Thanks for checking this project out!
Please stay tuned for the eventual Demo 3 once Nina Cortex is ready to play!

Latest reviews

When will demo 3 be out?
Amazing work!
Metalsonic3 // Jargonfox
Metalsonic3 // Jargonfox
Thanks! Will take a while longer but yeah, we're slowly working on this all
For the first non-sonic related SAGE game i've played, it's really fun (if you couldn't tell lmao). The sprite work is very smooth, expressive and it's just beautiful! The game is really good-looking, especially the third stage. Crash plays pretty well and the level design for his levels is also pretty good. Coco's stages aren't as good, but they're still really fun. (What I mean by not as good is mostly stuff like the Big TNT, which first-timers will most likely be confused by, thus costing them a few lives. Also I died because when landing Coco would suddenly go backwards, despite me holding right. It doesn't mean she's not good, it's just that she needs some improvement.) The music is really good, too. Overall, for a demo (and a non-sonic related game at SAGE) this is pretty good. Keep up the good work!
Edit: sorry i'm an ignorant piece of shit and didn't read the crate guide at all. At this point my only issue with the Coco stages is the reverse glitch.
Crash+woahdicoot.gif

Comments

I played your demo! AHHH, I only have more praise to give it!
I played through all three levels and was amazed by the attention to detail. The crouching while holding on to the bars, the little faces he gives crouching, jumping, and hanging, and the way Crash and Coco behave during each and every breath is more love than I think the original developers made.

The controls are nearly perfect. In my opinion, the stop mechanics of Crash 2 were crisp, and clean, and Crash 1 had sluggish handling. Your controls did not hinder my game-play at all, so if they were the final product, it would be an excellent final product.
However jumping gaps as Coco was a nightmare. The box was extremely small and hard to find to make it perfectly across large and small gaps. I had the most failures there.

You obviously are still working on many things, so I have no other critiques. Years ago, when I noticed how slow the game performed, and the animations were basic, you guys cranked them out and made a flawless Cartoon-ish Crash that rivals any Crash conception, and longer level layouts than the original trilogy themselves.

Your game is a pure delight.

The game is great. Nearly perfect controls and I like the concept of the blue crates and Uka Uka leading the player to the Death Route (even tho this for me doesn't make sense). I have beaten all of the 3 levels but only one problem... The 61st and the 62nd box are impossible to get and I couldn't get the gem...

This game looks like that one crash flash game and i LOVE it i just love the game's style and how it plays and everything

Item information

Added by
Metalsonic3 // Jargonfox
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.71 star(s) 14 ratings

Downloads

More in SAGE 2018 [Archive]

More from Metalsonic3 // Jargonfox