don't click here

SAGE 2022 - Demo (OLD) Sonic: Lock & Load (v1.4 Demo)

General Information

sonic-ll-banner.png

Sonic: Lock & Load is a hyper-fast, action packed first-person shooter based on the Sonic the Hedgehog series of games and built on GZDoom.

It draws inspiration from Sonic games, as well as titles like Sonic Robo Blast 2, ULTRAKILL and DOOM Eternal. It also features elements from other GZDoom mods and retro FPS games.

Sonic: Lock & Load is not fully completed yet, and development is progressing slowly. However, it aims to provide an extremely fun and thrilling experience reminiscent of old-school shooters, as well as their modern-day revivals.

DOOM II IWAD required. You can buy DOOM II on Steam or use Freedoom: Phase 2.

Sonic: Lock & Load v1.4 "Horizons" is on its way! Can't wait for it, and sick of the Final Final Demo?
If you don't mind unfinished stuff, you can go ahead to the GitHub repository and download the most recent bleeding edge version, then run with GZDoom and have fun!
  • ZIP download method, no updates - Select "Code" and "Download ZIP", then rename Sonic-LockandLoad-edge.zip to Sonic-LockandLoad-edge.pk3
  • Git clone method, can update - Install Git and run git clone https://github.com/Sonic-LockandLoad/Sonic-LockandLoad. To update, just run git pull.

Characters
    Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic is the fastest character in Sonic: Lock & Load, with super high mobility and a multitude of ways to get around the environment, both on the ground and in the air.
    Sonic focuses mostly on super fast action, and his weapons are balanced around the high speeds he can reach.
    A lot of his weapons and movement skills can be tied together for high speed and fast action gameplay.

Amy Rose

Amy controls similarly to Sonic, but she can't move around in the air as easy as he can.
    Her weapons, however, pack a huge punch, and are centred a lot more around precision than Sonic's more high-velocity balanced weapons.

Classic Sonic

Classic Sonic is designed for people who prefer platforming, and don't necessarily want to focus on FPS combat that much.
    His weapons are simply faster-firing versions of standard DOOM weapons, so there isn't much weapon variety with him.
    He can't double jump, unlike everyone else, and he has a Bounce Attack instead of a Slam Attack.
    You could consider him SRB2 Sonic in Sonic: Lock & Load.

Shadow the Hedgehog

Shadow nearly controls exactly the same as Sonic, but he can't jump off of walls, and has a completely different Homing Attack.
    His Chaos Snap gives him the ability to teleport around the level, so he can reach places or skip certain platforming sections he normally wouldn't be able to.
    His weapons are the most powerful in the game, but use up the most energy.
    Shadow's combat is a lot simpler than the rest of the cast, and doesn't have nearly as much depth as Sonic's, but he can typically get through most combat encounters easier than everyone else.
More character info can be found on the Sonic: Lock & Load website.

Comments

In the words of Vargskelethor Joel Vinesauce, "CHK-CHK, OBJECTIVE: KILL"

Why isn't this under mods? I know it's a standalone game that just requires the DOOM 2 wad and uses it's assets, but that means you still need to "own" a "legit copy" of DOOM 2.
This is the dumbest idea for a Sonic game ever and I'm surprised it works so well. One thing that's weird though is that there's no keyboard key bound to what left trigger would be on a controller, so in order to dash with Caliburn you have to go in and set it so Sonic the Kidnapper can whoosh over that trail of rings.

Game would crash for me on startup.

M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
Using program directory for storage

Execution could not continue.

Cannot find a game IWAD (doom.wad, doom2.wad, heretic.wad, etc.).
Did you install GZDoom properly? You can do either of the following:

1. Place one or more of these wads in the same directory as GZDoom.
2. Edit your gzdoom-username.ini and add the directories of your iwads
to the list beneath [IWADSearch.Directories]

Game would crash for me on startup.

M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
Using program directory for storage

Execution could not continue.

Cannot find a game IWAD (doom.wad, doom2.wad, heretic.wad, etc.).
Did you install GZDoom properly? You can do either of the following:

1. Place one or more of these wads in the same directory as GZDoom.
2. Edit your gzdoom-username.ini and add the directories of your iwads
to the list beneath [IWADSearch.Directories]
You need a copy of DOOM 2 or Freedoom: Phase 2 for this to work. If using the latter, rename freedoom2.wad to DOOM2.wad.

Last edited:
Why isn't this under mods? I know it's a standalone game that just requires the DOOM 2 wad and uses it's assets, but that means you still need to "own" a "legit copy" of DOOM 2.
Yeah, I probably should have put it under mods, in hindsight. I'll eventually create my own assets so it won't have to rely on DOOM 2 anymore. You could, of course, just use Freedoom: Phase 2 instead.

This is the dumbest idea for a Sonic game ever and I'm surprised it works so well.
It originally started as a silly "what if" idea, just a fun little passion project that I wanted to experiment with, that became a full-blown thing.

One thing that's weird though is that there's no keyboard key bound to what left trigger would be on a controller, so in order to dash with Caliburn you have to go in and set it so Sonic the Kidnapper can whoosh over that trail of rings.
That's the alt-fire key, which is bound to right click by default.

Last edited:
Wow. I'm glad Amy's playable. And the way she plays differently is beyond imagination. I wish you can input cheat codes to make you be invincible, so you don't get hurt all the time.

Item information

Added by
AeriaVelocity
Views
Comments
Last update
Rating
4.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games

More from AeriaVelocity

Share this item