don't click here

Sonic Advance (Android) - Anniversary Mods Pack

Project Information

In 2001, Sonic Advance was released for the Game Boy Advance in Japan.

In 2011, Sonic Advance was ported to Android devices (only in Japan).

In 2021, Sonic Advance on Android gets brand new mods, ready for this game's 20th anniversary !

jp.co.sega.sonicadv.google.mon_Screenshot_2021.05.08_16.44.27.png
jp.co.sega.sonicadv.google.mon_Screenshot_2021.05.08_17.03.05.png
jp.co.sega.sonicadv.google.mon_Screenshot_2021.05.08_17.24.51.png
jp.co.sega.sonicadv.google.mon_Screenshot_2021.05.08_17.39.27.png

The Anniversary Mods Pack is a collection of mods of the Sonic Advance's Android port to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the original Game Boy Advance release. The mods makes this game as followed :

TitleMultiAspect.png
First, the mods makes the game look better for Android devices with aspect ratios between 16:9 to 21:9. The mods were designed so the game looks graphically the same in 16:9 and lower.

SIDE NOTE :
Some menus, the opening and the special stages don't look perfect.
And the water animation in the first zone is slightly different to the original Android port. It actually resembles the animation from the original Game Boy Advance version.

AspectRatios.png

TitleTranslated.png
The mods also have translated text inspired by its original Japanese version and the Game Boy Advance version's instruction manuals. The languages are English, Spanish, French, Portuguese and Japanese.

Languages.png

TitleSoundtracks.png
Alongside the different languages, there are 2 versions of the mods :
one with the original .MIDI soundtrack.
the other with the soundtrack with the instruments used from the Game Boy Advance version. The GBA mix mods are meant to use .OGG files.

SIDE NOTE :
The GBA mix mods do NOT contain the exact same soundtrack as the original Game Boy Advance version. Instead, they replicate the .MIDI soundtrack (with the exception being the "invincibility" tracks). This means the music uses for the first and second boss music of X-zone are actually GBA remixes of the .MIDI versions ("E.G.G. STATION ZONE" and "BOSS THEME 2" from Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1).

If you can't download this pack here, you can download the mods in my Game Jolt project page.
Link to Game Jolt project page : Sonic Advance (Android) - Anniversary Mods Pack by Furikan - Game Jolt

Updates

BREAKING NEWS - The 2.1.0 version of the Translated Mods are released.

Current Package Version: 2.3.0
Current Translated Mods Version: 2.1.0
Current Japanese Mods Version: 2.0.0

LIST OF POTENTIAL IMPROVEMENTS :

- Change lines of code to improve the other 50% of the MUI menus text.
- Fix the graphical glitches of the game opening.
- Upscale the "suspend_resume_0" image and canvas.
- Improve the Character Select menu graphical presentation.
- Replace the sound option menu with a soundtrack select menu.

LIST OF PREVIOUS MODIFICATIONS/IMPROVEMENTS :
- Upscale the game canvas size from 284 to 373 pixels wide.
- Add extra graphics on certain backgrounds (some are ripped from the Gameloft version, others are either repeats or mirrored).
- Upscale certain zones backgrounds canvas.
- Make a GBA remix of "bgm_49_boss_f1" and "bgm_50_boss_f2".
- Change the "land on plane" sound effect timing of "bgm_38_ending_final" in the GBA mix versions.
- Upscale the confirm character select hit detection from 80 to 112 pixels wide.
- Remove the play "op_patch" sound command in the GBA mix versions to prevent listening to the same sound effect twice.
- Change the first zone's background water animation in order to work on different aspect ratios.
- Increase the background width of the Special Ending.
- Improve the game speed slightly by putting a Thread.sleep from 10 to 0.
- Make a Portuguese version of the mods.

From the version 2.1.0 :
- Change the MUI sprite sheet to improve 50% of the menus text.
- Upscale the selection hit detection in the pause menu from 88 to 114 pixels wide.

From the version 2.0.0 :
- Smoothed quality texts in the HELP and CREDITS menu and in the TIPS board during loading screens.
- Sleep mode crash fixed. Instead of crashing the game, the RESUME screen will show up.
- Change the "rating in Google Play Store menu" into a simple "Thanks for playing" screen.

If you want to help me on this project, I'd really like to so we can improve the game as much as possible.

Credits

ORIGINAL GAME CREDITS

GAME MODS CREDITS

Modded by : Furrican/Furikan

BETA TESTERS

SonicStation
GdGohan
sonic da deep wed
adrianadasilvamatos​
Reactions: Rozurabu

Comments

I've been playing the original android port for a little bit, but now I just can't go back to the original. It's now in a language I can finally read, and it has the original GBA tracks. I just can't thank you enough for making this mod, the Sonic Advance japan only android port has been saved! 😄

I've been playing the original android port for a little bit, but now I just can't go back to the original. It's now in a language I can finally read, and it has the original GBA tracks. I just can't thank you enough for making this mod, the Sonic Advance japan only android port has been saved! 😄
Thank you very much ! ^^
I'm glad you like it. I put so much time in this project that it looks very good.
And there are probably still updates that are coming in the future. So stay tuned !

Good afternoon, it doesn't expand my screen space and it remains the same, I try to reinstall it but nothing happens 😔

Good afternoon, it doesn't expand my screen space and it remains the same, I try to reinstall it but nothing happens 😔
Hello ! What smartphone did you use for the mods ?
I've heard that flip-phones has issues with screen resolutions.

Hello ! What smartphone did you use for the mods ?
I've heard that flip-phones has issues with screen resolutions.
Good afternoon, sorry for the delay in responding, I thought it would take a while to respond, I have a Galaxy A52S.

Good afternoon, sorry for the delay in responding, I thought it would take a while to respond, I have a Galaxy A52S.
This is strange. It should normally takes the whole horizontal screen size.
I just checked it out myself, and it seems to work fine :/

Controller support perhaps? Currently only the D-Pad works with the up button being mapped to jumping, and it does not work well at all.

Controller support perhaps? Currently only the D-Pad works with the up button being mapped to jumping, and it does not work well at all.
Well, this game isn't meant to be played with a controller to begin with.
And if you are playing it on an emulator like BlueStacks, there are settings to configure the controls.

Item information

Added by
Furikan
Views
Comments
Last update

Downloads

More in ROM Hacks

Share this item