don't click here

Ice Cream Float (SAGE 2021 Demo)

General Information

black-box-artwork.png

Welcome to the exciting world of ICE CREAM FLOAT! This game is an upcoming side-scrolling platformer that takes significant (dare I say blatant) influence from the very early first-party Famicom/NES titles, which are better known as the "black box" series of games. Join AISU THE PENGUIN on her quest to eat as many tasty frozen treats as possible while also enjoying a healthy pescatarian diet of salmon along the way. Bop enemies, dodge obstacles, and get to the end. It's that simple!

This demo consists of the first world in its entirety, in a largely final state (changes that are subject to happen mid-development notwithstanding), with a prospective release date of early 2022.​
Reactions: Ice

Latest reviews

This is really challening and fun.
I died at level 3 from the spinning sun, not your fault i suck at platforming haha!

Pros;
-fast paced platforming fun
-smallest download size for SAGE
-colours are excellent!
-good simple NES styled music

Cons;
-doesn't support all controllers, I know you can use joytokey but it isn't the same
-best for platforming veterans [you could work around this by having a character that glides instead of flaps [like dixie kong from DKC2]
-you should of used your NES cover for the SAGE page, that way people will know it's a NES inspired game.

For a 4 year development title you've done a really good job! I look forward to future development.

Comments

Okay it's not just me right? This is a supposed to be an insanely difficult game with a lot of tight and precise jumps, right? If so... you did an amazing job because I can't get more than about 20 feet into the first level. if not... I'm either just really bad at this or something else is wrong.

I think it's very cute and I love the early NES aesthetic. Even the boxart is very nostalgic... I'll work on getting a bit better at this, but for now I can say I certainly appreciate what you're going for here.

Okay it's not just me right? This is a supposed to be an insanely difficult game with a lot of tight and precise jumps, right? If so... you did an amazing job because I can't get more than about 20 feet into the first level. if not... I'm either just really bad at this or something else is wrong.

I think it's very cute and I love the early NES aesthetic. Even the boxart is very nostalgic... I'll work on getting a bit better at this, but for now I can say I certainly appreciate what you're going for here.
Hrm... I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble getting through it. Um... well, I had quite a few friends beta test the game and for the most part, none of them had any serious trouble completing the demo as it was being developed. I used their feedback to tweak things to make them easier (in theory, it seems!), but they were never stopped at the very first level, that's for sure.

The game does demand precision platforming, but it shouldn't be anything alien to, say, someone who's played a lot of Mega Man for instance. (this game isn't really like Mega Man per se - that's just the first thing that pops into my head for comparison).

All I can really say is from what I've gathered not just from the beta testing but also the few streamers who've given it a spin so far, all I can really say is keep practicing! Remember, you can float in the air if you press jump! So use that to line up any tricky jumps. Hopefully you can get into the swing of things. I appreciate the nice comments nonetheless! Hope you have a better time with it, cheers!

Okay... went back and gave it another go and was able to beat the demo. I think I was overthinking the jumps or something last night, idk. it seemed much easier this time around. That's what I get for playing when I'm tired. I even went back over it again to collect all the things I kinda bypassed the first time.

Overall, it's really fun and definitely has that NES feel to it. I also like the part with the seal at the end and if I lose all the fish he just kinda glares at me. Aisu's adorable and I'll be awaiting the next release.

Okay... went back and gave it another go and was able to beat the demo. I think I was overthinking the jumps or something last night, idk. it seemed much easier this time around. That's what I get for playing when I'm tired. I even went back over it again to collect all the things I kinda bypassed the first time.

Overall, it's really fun and definitely has that NES feel to it. I also like the part with the seal at the end and if I lose all the fish he just kinda glares at me. Aisu's adorable and I'll be awaiting the next release.
That's fantastic! I'm glad you gave it another go and liked it a lot more. Thanks for the kind words, and hopefully the final game will be even more of what you want from this little game =)

The way the air momentum works is kind of hard for me to get used to. Sometimes I shoot past my landing, other times I fall short.

The way the air momentum works is kind of hard for me to get used to. Sometimes I shoot past my landing, other times I fall short.
Originally there wasn't any air momentum at all, but that felt a bit too stiff and it didn't feel quite as satisfying. I toyed around with a lot of momentum, and then a little bit - settled on a little bit.

Ultimately I think the amount I went with worked best. It got a thumbs up from my friend who had complained about the momentum to begin with, which was good enough for me. Sorry you had trouble getting used to it, though.

Yep this was my problem as well. Then half the time I did land, I'd end up jumping back because I'm not used to the character actually stopping on a dime like that lol.

I ended up getting used to it and enjoying the game though and I hope you do too.

Have you considered finding a way to port Icecream Float to the NES for real? I, for one, Need this game on a cartridge. If you have not, then please do consider it. And thank you very much for making such a lovely little game.

Item information

Added by
Isaac Riley
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Downloads

More in Original Games

Share this item