don't click here

Sonic Powered Up

General Information

PoweredUpServerLogo.png

Sonic Powered Up, Is made by me by myself. So far, it is rough around the edges and in very much need of work. I started this project years ago and the current demo is a reflection of my progress so far. Only one act is available for play in this demo.

Gameplay

I envisioned the gameplay to be like an enhanced version of Sonic 3. What I mean by enhanced is that Sonic will have more elemental abilities than the usual move set in Sonic 3. Everything else like the speed and platforming will be the same. Each elemental shield will have abilities separated into three classes; Passive, Active, and Ultimate. Passive abilities will never change. Active abilities and Ultimate abilities can be changed once you acquire more moves. You will be able to set two active abilities and one ultimate ability. Actives can be used at will at anytime (some have cooldown effects). Ultimates can be used once. Once an ultimate move is activated, then the shield will revert to a normal blue shield.

Story

Sonic and Tails have finally managed lock away Dr. Robotnik for good this time. To finally celebrate their victory, Sonic and Tails have decided to visit Bliss Island. A brand-new Island Resort with beaches, music, snow tops and much more. As Sonic and Tails were relaxing away enjoying the festivities, Robotnik’s mechs have shown up, with a demand to release Robotnik from jail. How are the mechs operating without Robotnik controlling them? Once again Sonic and Tails' vacation comes to a close as they investigate who's behind this new scheme.

ss2.png

ss1.png

ss3.png

Twitter: @up_powered
Discord: https://discord.gg/dgUeFxR

Comments

There are perhaps two time-tested bits of advice for Sonic fangames, and both apply here:
  • Don't mix Genesis and Advance graphics
  • Create zone-specific gimmicks
Adding new powers to the shields makes some sense, but ultimately the player is going to have a shield for only so long before getting hit, at which point the regular gameplay takes over again. So the regular gameplay also needs to be fresh and engaging. So far this act is too much of a basic fangame act with long straightaways, loops, and nothing unique for the player to interact with. There's a beach... maybe add some bouncy umbrellas? Rolling beach balls? Giant conch shells? Blankets? Try to find ways to make people remember your zone as distinct from every other green and orange first zone ever created.

I don't see a problem in mixing the graphics, but you should edit them to blend properly. Advance sprites in general are smaller compared to the genesis ones, you should scale them properly and recolor them in a similar style.
As an example, this is very noticeable whenever a drop dash is attempted, as sonic grows in size for the duration of the move.

Also, be careful with your active objects, as I ran into layering issues while playing and the actives of the wall were in front of Sonic instead of behind him.

The level flows rather well, but it feels just a bit too long for the first stage.
I personally think as a first level it should be a little shorter and it should have small section where it should force the player to get a shield and try the new skills the shields have.

Keep up the good work!

There are perhaps two time-tested bits of advice for Sonic fangames, and both apply here:
  • Don't mix Genesis and Advance graphics
  • Create zone-specific gimmicks
Adding new powers to the shields makes some sense, but ultimately the player is going to have a shield for only so long before getting hit, at which point the regular gameplay takes over again. So the regular gameplay also needs to be fresh and engaging. So far this act is too much of a basic fangame act with long straightaways, loops, and nothing unique for the player to interact with. There's a beach... maybe add some bouncy umbrellas? Rolling beach balls? Giant conch shells? Blankets? Try to find ways to make people remember your zone as distinct from every other green and orange first zone ever created.
Thanks for playing first and foremost.

All of the core gameplay elements are NOT in this build. The point of this build was to showcase and get feedback for the new shield moves and their controls. Once I get those controls right, then I will implement more core gameplay elements like the gimmicks and new enemies and so forth.

I agree that the level design and art isn't anything special as it was thrown together a month before SAGE began. I'm not a pixel artist so basically it's going to be a hodgepodge of art with some sprite editing here and there. It's not what I want but I'm working this project solo so it'll have to do for now.

I appreciate the feedback :)

I don't see a problem in mixing the graphics, but you should edit them to blend properly. Advance sprites in general are smaller compared to the genesis ones, you should scale them properly and recolor them in a similar style.
As an example, this is very noticeable whenever a drop dash is attempted, as sonic grows in size for the duration of the move.

Also, be careful with your active objects, as I ran into layering issues while playing and the actives of the wall were in front of Sonic instead of behind him.

View attachment 9359

The level flows rather well, but it feels just a bit too long for the first stage.
I personally think as a first level it should be a little shorter and it should have small section where it should force the player to get a shield and try the new skills the shields have.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks for feedback.

I definitely made the stage a tad too long mainly because there was no second act in the build. There are some sections where the shield is there for the player to use if they read how to do the moves. I don't want the abilities to be mandatory but rather be situational.

Also I'm aware of the layering issue. I kinda threw the level together in less than a month for SAGE XD.

Item information

Added by
Flash_G
Views
Comments
Last update

Downloads

More in Fan Games

Share this item