don't click here

Project SXU

General Information

What is the goal of Project SXU?: Project SXU aims to recreate Sonic X-treme as close as possible, while adding original ideas and concepts from X-treme. The levels will be as accurate as we can make to the levels seen in videos, images, ect, (this version) while making brand new Act 2's for the zones! as well as remaking bosses from seen sketches as well as videos/screenshots.

What started Project SXU?: Project SXU started in late 2017 as a means for me personally to learn Unity. But was in a sort of limbo not really being pursued much, as I was busy in life. It picked up in the start of 2019 after I finished my schooling and has gone to places I couldn't even imagine thanks to Comicnight's amazing character controller and all the programming he's been working on.

Who all is working on the project?: Currently, me (Etendo) and Comicnight. Me and Comicnight are both recreating the original levels thanks to multiple different DEF viewers, 3D modeling them all by eye. Comicnight is handling the programming on all ends.

We also have a discord! here you will be able to talk with us and see some inside dev stuff we will post, as well as vote in polls to help us get instant results. You can join here: https://discord.gg/zs3eaWx

And you can find our Youtube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHX4xAnJ70IGQKLI1o7HSg

Thank you for reading, and we hope you all will join us on this X-treme journey!
Reactions: SonicXkid

Comments

Just played the demo. Overall it looks nice. I do have some suggestions.

- Took me a while to figure out the skull blocks were switches from act 1
- The controls need tuning. Sonic holds all of his momentum while turning, which can be really disorienting.
- Sonic feels too fast running forwards and backwards. Generally it felt really easy to just run off the level.
- Analog Controls?

I understand some of this may or may not be easily correctable given that you're trying to stay close to what Xtreme may have been. So overall, not bad. Hope this may turn into something more substantial in the future.

It's so wonderful—and surreal—to find myself finally playing Sonic X-treme. Sure, it's a remake, but it feels spot-on and all the little details I remember from the footage are there, only now with increased draw distance. It's fascinating how little I'm able to visualize where I am in a broader 3D space with the fisheye camera... I can see what's immediately around me, sure, but I have no idea where I am in relation to anything farther away. Really my only concern is how incredibly easy it is to die at all times, mostly from going too fast and flying off a ledge, but also occasionally from jumping while on a sloped surface and blasting off into space. But overall, thank you for doing this.

I just played Jade Gully. D-pad thing aside, Sonic feels much too quick now. Makes him feel a bit hard to control IMO.

Also, it is really incredible to be able to play Sonic Xtreme in a way. The stages themselves all feel disorientating in their own way, but I feel that has to do with the fisheye lens Sega initially wanted. Which is still impressive. What I'd like though like the other person said is analog control to help, and better momentum on Sonic.

It's so wonderful—and surreal—to find myself finally playing Sonic X-treme. Sure, it's a remake, but it feels spot-on and all the little details I remember from the footage are there, only now with increased draw distance. It's fascinating how little I'm able to visualize where I am in a broader 3D space with the fisheye camera... I can see what's immediately around me, sure, but I have no idea where I am in relation to anything farther away. Really my only concern is how incredibly easy it is to die at all times, mostly from going too fast and flying off a ledge, but also occasionally from jumping while on a sloped surface and blasting off into space. But overall, thank you for doing this.
I know right. It feels so surreal to be able to play this game. I do hope the spinslash can be added as well, even though it may not be able to surpass how it is in SRB2. And I really do like the way levels look here.

The forward and backward movement speed and acceleration is WAY too high unless you're going to add an invisible wall to the outside of stages, as it is, it's way too easy to hold down for half a second too long and have Sonic rocket off the edge towards the screen. Otherwise though, this is really awesome.

Just played the demo. Overall it looks nice. I do have some suggestions.

- Took me a while to figure out the skull blocks were switches from act 1
- The controls need tuning. Sonic holds all of his momentum while turning, which can be really disorienting.
- Sonic feels too fast running forwards and backwards. Generally it felt really easy to just run off the level.
- Analog Controls?

I understand some of this may or may not be easily correctable given that you're trying to stay close to what Xtreme may have been. So overall, not bad. Hope this may turn into something more substantial in the future.
The demo has been updated.

Holy crap this was one hell of a rage-inducing game, makes me realize why this game got canceled by SEGA loll, that ice level took me eons because of that wack precision platforming segment omg

It's still cool to be able to play all these 4 canceled levels now but the gamepad controllers are like royally fucked a bit. Even though I can use the D-pad & A button to do simple important moves, moving the right stick puts this game in quite the craze. Moving the right stick randomly remaps my controls, cause instant game resets and etc.

are you going to make a 32-bit version? I'm dying to play this game, and more with the soundtrack it has

This is pretty good, what I imagined when I seen videos of it a few weeks ago. The only issues I have are the controls being slippy and an uncontrollable camera. Also, adding an option to disable the lens would be cool and possibly releasing the source code.

This is really cool and probably the most accurate Sonic X-treme recreation that I've seen, few criticisms tho:
Having the control a character in 3D with a d-pad is always quite awkward I'd like analogue control
Sonic's forward and back acceleration is too high it's too easy to fall of the edge
This is less a criticism more just me but I'd like the option to turn off fisheye lens

Item information

Added by
Etendo
Views
Comments
Last update
Rating
4.00 star(s) 3 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games

More from Etendo

• Pin The Pangolin
    Pin The Pangolin is a 2d action indie platformer. Venture through with...

Share this item