don't click here

Nina: Season of Adventures

General Information

Nina's day started like any other. A quick jog to the Flora Fields to visit an old friend. Nothing out of the ordinary there. Everything was turned on it's head in an instant. Robots and their masters descended on the peacefully gardens. Not willing to wait for others, and against her friends advice, Nina dashes off, intent on getting to the bottom of this.

Welcome Friends!
This is my first ever entry to SAGE and what a year to do it!? This is a game, Nina: Seasons of Adventure I've been working on proper for about 6 months now, though the character and concepts have existed in some form or fashion for much longer.

The games entirely about speed. Inspired by Sonic games like Sonic Rush, and Sonic Generations, as well as Rayman Legends. Nina's core is reaching the end of the level as fast as possible while looking cool and stylish doing it! Being able to run on any open wall, Nina's all about quick reaction times and maintaining your combo. I was playing Rayman Legends on one of the later rescue levels when this core concept finally materialized. The kinetic feeling I got from making it through that level was something I wanted to make a game about.

Controls

Keyboard Defaults

Movement:

WASD

Jump:

J

Attack:

K

Pause:

Enter

Gamepad (should be) supported! (I only could test with mine)

Mirror:

Comments

My natural point of comparison is to The King's Bird, another wallrunning speed game, except that one constantly sabotaged itself by discouraging speed in favor of item hunting or precise movements. You're managing to avoid that problem by using a combo system instead: collecting every pickup isn't the important thing anymore, but rather collecting pickups all the time. Good choice. The change I'd most like to see made here would be somewhat higher contrast in the visuals, particularly between things that hurt you and things that don't. It also took me a while to notice when the health meter was depleting because its appearance didn't change much. Maybe also fewer "are you sure you want to do this?" prompts in the menu. But this seems like a good start so far, focusing on the things that are important.

I really like this one so far. It's a unique take on the Sonic-Like genre, and I enjoy the speed you can pull off. This is how I think the 2D sections in Sonic Colors should have controlled, as non-sequitor a point that may be. The controls felt "graceful," for lack of a better word, like you're some kind of ballerina. Lots of fun!

My natural point of comparison is to The King's Bird, another wallrunning speed game, except that one constantly sabotaged itself by discouraging speed in favor of item hunting or precise movements. You're managing to avoid that problem by using a combo system instead: collecting every pickup isn't the important thing anymore, but rather collecting pickups all the time. Good choice. The change I'd most like to see made here would be somewhat higher contrast in the visuals, particularly between things that hurt you and things that don't. It also took me a while to notice when the health meter was depleting because its appearance didn't change much. Maybe also fewer "are you sure you want to do this?" prompts in the menu. But this seems like a good start so far, focusing on the things that are important.
Thank you, I was trying to find a way to encourage fast, but also stylish play.

and yeah, I'm definitely on all of those points after the dust settles on SAGE and the IDE update that I'm about to have to wade through. would you believe all the enemies and the thorns were less obvious in previous builds. I actually tried to make them more obvious, but It's been a consistent feedback I keep getting, so clearly it wasn't enough. Plus, looking at all the beautifully stylish games in this years SAGE, I realized my level art looked a bit like a wet noodle, so it needs a bit of an overhaul anyway. The Health meter was a sore point for me cause I sacrificed it for some of the more important parts to polish pre-SAGE, so it's defiinitely getting a health loss and a recovery animation (the other reason you might have missed it going down was that ever 50 coins you get a tick of health back) as well as a health warning at low health.

I really like this one so far. It's a unique take on the Sonic-Like genre, and I enjoy the speed you can pull off. This is how I think the 2D sections in Sonic Colors should have controlled, as non-sequitor a point that may be. The controls felt "graceful," for lack of a better word, like you're some kind of ballerina. Lots of fun!
thank you that's what I was going for. I wanted a well executed level to feel "graceful" as you said. I liken it to a well executed speedrun. As an aside, the Mario 2D sections in Sonic Colors did come across as a bit stiff didn't they?

Last edited:

Item information

Added by
Phi9009
Views
Comments
Last update

Downloads

More in Original Games

• Sole Iron Tail
    Slide and charge as fast as you can using your special tail!
  • ChronoVenture
    Overview ChronoVenture is a momentum-based Gameboy-style platformer...
  • AdventNEON
    Action platformer with tons of dashing, smash combos and powerscaling
  • The Great Frebbventure
    An action-platform adventure that combines the best of retro and modern...
  • Skye Revival
    Go through levels and defeat your foes with a wide variety of attacks

Share this item