don't click here

Aerial Guard [ALPHA DEMO 1]

General Information

A 3D flight sim, with racing game and shmup elements. Took a while to figure out what direction I wanted to take this, but here we are with a demo. A lot is subject to change from the visuals to the game's design, but I'd definitely like to know what you think of it in its current state, although unfinished.

It only contains one level, so it's relatively short. A beach stage where you try to get to the goal. I hope you'll check it out.

If you want to stay tuned for more of this game's development or smaller projects, drop by https://twitter.com/Amni3D

Controls:
Steering = Gamepad Left Analog / WASD
Free Look = Gamepad Right Analog / Middle Mouse Click/ Arrow Keys

Boosting = Gamepad Right Trigger / Left Shift
Brakes = Gamepad Left Trigger / Left Ctrl
Drifting = Gamepad A / Space
Barrel Roll = Gamepad Shoulder Buttons / Q and E

Fire = Gamepad X / Left Mouse Click
Slash = Gamepad B / Right Mouse Click

Pause = Gamepad Start / Enter
Reactions: SpiffyRuffleroni

Latest reviews

This is a game that is clearly made with a lot of passion put in to it, and while the demo may be short, it is definitely sweet. I found myself playing it over and over again, and would likely still be playing it now if I was not attempting to play every game at this year's SAGE by the end of the weekend. This will definitely be a demo I will be playing again later.

Also on a more personal note, Aerial Guard was the first game I have ever played that was made with Unity and your demo was a great introduction to it.
Big Mike
Big Mike
I'd also like to add that if you are a Linux user thinking about trying this, I had no problems running this game using WINE.
Amni3D
Amni3D
That's good info. Although if this reaches a 1.0 release down the line, someone should remind me to do a native Linux build anyway.
2nd Original SAGE Game listed out of 77

I'm not much for spaceship shooters and this demo is rather short. Nevertheless, what's shown here is really promising. Controls were a bit difficult to control at first but it's smooth sailing once you get used to it. Not much to say besides to see what comes up in the future. Keep it up.
Amni3D
Amni3D
That's good to know. I think I might've been worrying too much about simplifying the control scheme instead of lowering the learning curve with content.
Thanks for the input

Comments

This one was really short, but I wanna keep an eye on development. It felt great to fly around and blow up enemies. I think going up/down could stand to be a little faster, though.

If StarFox went in this direction, I'd be pretty happy.

This one was really short, but I wanna keep an eye on development. It felt great to fly around and blow up enemies. I think going up/down could stand to be a little faster, though.

If StarFox went in this direction, I'd be pretty happy.
Glad to know you like the format the game goes for.

The vertical movement is slow because the ceilings are kind of low on the map. What I'll settle on for the vertical speed will depend almost entirely on what kind of levels I'll end up making.

And yeah, alpha demo 1 is *super* short. It works for a test map, but the content you'll see that's finalized won't be as bite sized.

Glad to know you like the format the game goes for.

The vertical movement is slow because the ceilings are kind of low on the map. What I'll settle on for the vertical speed will depend almost entirely on what kind of levels I'll end up making.

And yeah, alpha demo 1 is *super* short. It works for a test map, but the content you'll see that's finalized won't be as bite sized.
I forgot to mention I like the depth here. You can go whatever way you want to through the map. I think focusing on that is key.

Oh man this was super fun to play! I love high speed space shooters and combining shmup elements with it is a really neat idea. I guess my only complaints would be the design of the level itself is a little bland, and I got completely stuck on a wall because the ship couldn't move down fast enough. One thing I'd like to see is a way to dodge up and down too instead of just left and right

I like whats going on here. While not polished obviously, theres clearly an artistic direction being taken here that I am very excited to see.

Gameplay wise... its short, but good. I like the abilities given to me that allow me to maneuver in 3D but the demo was very "on rails" despite the level design being somewhat open. I feel like the enemy design/placement should account for the players mechanics and encourage me to use them, and right now I only need to use the left stick and shoot buttons.

I like not being "on-rails" so if you're continuing to design around the current player-controller I'd like more verticality and a broader level design (and of course more aggressive enemies).

I like whats going on here. While not polished obviously, theres clearly an artistic direction being taken here that I am very excited to see.

Gameplay wise... its short, but good. I like the abilities given to me that allow me to maneuver in 3D but the demo was very "on rails" despite the level design being somewhat open. I feel like the enemy design/placement should account for the players mechanics and encourage me to use them, and right now I only need to use the left stick and shoot buttons.

I like not being "on-rails" so if you're continuing to design around the current player-controller I'd like more verticality and a broader level design (and of course more aggressive enemies).
Got it. So far I've been just refining the mechanics based on feedback. It's good I caught this since I'll likely have another go at level design soon, and I think that's a good 75% of the issues regarding the design.

Part of the reason I went for a linear map is because I thought it would stress test the game's design quite a bit. But nonlinear level design sounds like a natural fit for this format. We'll see!

Oh man this was super fun to play! I love high speed space shooters and combining shmup elements with it is a really neat idea. I guess my only complaints would be the design of the level itself is a little bland, and I got completely stuck on a wall because the ship couldn't move down fast enough. One thing I'd like to see is a way to dodge up and down too instead of just left and right
Well, good news is it's currently fixed! But not uploaded yet since it's for Alpha 2 down the line! Hehe
I also want vertical dodging in, but currently focus is put elsewhere.
Level design is not so good here; I think between Alpha 1 and Alpha 2 the difference will be felt. Hope you stay tuned.

Item information

Added by
Amni3D
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.50 star(s) 2 ratings

Downloads

More in Original Games

• Sole Iron Tail
    Slide and charge as fast as you can using your special tail!
  • ChronoVenture
    Overview ChronoVenture is a momentum-based Gameboy-style platformer...
  • AdventNEON
    Action platformer with tons of dashing, smash combos and powerscaling
  • The Great Frebbventure
    An action-platform adventure that combines the best of retro and modern...
  • Skye Revival
    Go through levels and defeat your foes with a wide variety of attacks

Share this item