don't click here

Sonic After The Sequel Ω

Project Overview

Hello! If you see this page, you probably once played a fan-game known as "Sonic: After The Sequel."

We finished the work, and we are now ready to present to you the game in a new, and better look. 16:9 aspect ratio, DirectX 11 support, new and complicated bosses, new sprites, bug-fixes, Discord's Rich Presence support, achievements, new settings, new cut-scenes made by Triangly (in development), secret game modes, easter eggs, and so much more.

This is not the final version of the project, as we plan to fix more bugs and errors in the next upcoming updates, as well as adding new features.

Update:
1. New (fixed) physics
2. Several fixes in cutscenes including new Eggman sprites to match the in-game ones
3. Bosses are now easier to defeat

Screenshots and media!

In this video you can look at improved cutscenes by Triangly.

Bonus Content

Soon, there will be a cipher. All who can understand it, will receive a special award.

You can write to us here:
Gamejolt - https://gamejolt.com/games/satso/376344
Discord - https://discord.gg/gD5nusN
Mail - [email protected]

Credits

Sonic After The Sequel Ω By: Compound Games

Programmers: MGilbas, Mishaworld, SinexPts GAMING, Tye Trine, Tailsmonster12

Spriters: WinstonTheEchidna, Mishaworld, Dolphman, Hamster Man, ShadowNetwork, MGilbas

New Cutscenes By Triangly

Testers: Mgilbas, Nizh, HyperSonicYT, ℒℴ ℒℴcke, RaytFost, Triangly

Sponsors: HyperSonicYT

Effects: Looki, Nihilist

Input 2.0: Yonatankr, Nihilist

Special Thanks
LakeFeperd: Thank you for giving us hope, which we will certainly realize. Without you, all this would not have happened. Thanks for bugs

Latest reviews

The game sent me all the way back to Sugar Splash Zone after beating the Storm Station Boss making me have to do most of the game all over again. Pretty decent remake of ATS overall but the new boss phases are unnecessary and of course needing to redo most of the game has kind of soured my opinion on it. It's worth a try especially for fans of the original but it's pretty sloppy.
couldn't get past cyan city boss
Gamecontroller
J
Jak54436
looks cool but it won't let me play it
Let me be honest here. The premise of ATS Omega is the best. I love it. But the way it was executed, it's terrible.

First, the good stuff. I love the new animations. Sonic's smooth running animation is Mania-grade and I love it. I also see that some sprites were replaced. Eggman used to have Sonic 2 sprites on the original ATS and now it's properly replaced.

To be in Widescreen is welcome. I tried to make the original ATS widescreen when the source code came out but seeing how I would need to do that for every single stage and menu individually, I ended giving up. Nice to see someone has a bigger determination than me and actually made it.

The difficulty in stages is also something welcome. The original ATS was too easy and this one here tells the player to be more careful.

Now for the bad stuff, the bosses. I played only up to Cyan City and I just realized how insane the difficulty is. Horizon Heights difficulty was higher than I would have expected but I saw it as a bug. Eggman wasn't getting low enough to hit him and he would randomly get lower so I couldn't predict when I could and couldn't jump.

Sugar Splash Zone boss has no reason to exist. Act 3 is already annoying enough and there shouldn't be a boss. The original didn't. I heard this boss used to be way harder and now is easier but I played only v2 so it's still hard. The missiles pattern is completely random and you need to be lucky for the spheres to fall where you can hit them in a way that would bounce off Eggman and to the rail. With the in-game physics, this is easier said than done.

Cyan City boss act is terrible. First, the continuity error. What the FRICK is Silver Sonic doing there?! He was destroyed on Sonic 2, before the events of ATS! Doesn't make any sense for it to be there so please remove that thing. Now, the second phase is slightly harder than in the original ATS. The spikes come a little shortly after the sphere. Takes some lives to get used to but still doable. Now Phase 3... oh boy...

I wonder why the boss of the third zone must have two phases, let alone three. I would expect Phase 3 as part of a Kaizo Sonic ATS but not on a fricking remaster. First Silver Sonic, which is supposed to be destroyed. Second, Mecha Sonic which is from Sonic 3 but... passable. Now fricking BIG ARMS??? You're kidding me, right? I stopped playing there. Nearly unpredictable missile patterns, slowdowns and the feeling it is coming from Spark's Challenge Mode from Spark the Electric Jester. Doesn't make any sense for the boss of the third zone.

It only makes me sad that this game won't get further development according to the GameJolt page. It has a lot of potential. They only need to tune down the difficulty a lot on the bosses, get rid of the fricking phase 3 on Cyan City Boss Act. If it weren't for the improved graphics, the rating would have been only one star.
Last edited:

Comments

Sonic After The Sequel Omega should have been called "What SATS should have been from the start". Jokes aside, it's the definitve version of SATS for me. Playable Super Sonic in story mode, improved visuals and presentation, true widescreen, fixed cutscenes, improved level design and a few fixes make the game a lot better. The only problem i have with SATSO is that the drop-dash is still not as fun as the Mania version, but it isn't that much of a problem, so SATSO is definitely one of my favorite SAGE2019 games.
EDIT: After reaching the Cyan City Boss, i take that back. The Sugar Splash boss, while kind of way too long and complicated, was fun to fight, even though it needs huge changes to become an actually good boss, but it wasn't that much of a problem for me - Cyan City boss is a pain to fight. The first phase is... eh. It's the same thing, but there's Silver Sonic for some reason, and he really doesn't change much - it's a pointless addition for the sake of a pointless addition. The second phase is the same, if i remember the original correctly, but SCREW THAT THIRD PHASE. Big Arms is the hardest Classic Sonic final boss, unless you use an instashield, and since you don't have an instashield here... you have a final boss in the third zone of the game-noononno, just kidding, Big Arms is now bullshit hard. You made BIG ARMS harder and you've put him into the third zone. THIRD. ZONE. It would have been fine if it was the final boss of an optional hard mode that gets unlocked after you complete the game, but making him a necessary boss of the third zone in the main mode? And there are no checkpoints between phases! If you die here, you will have to do all those phases again. I've got to Foliage Furnace and screw this game. You could have had a great version of ATS, the best one, but no, you just had to screw it up by making the bosses absolutely hellish. Instead of "fixing" the bosses, you could have actually fixed the drop-dash and made the game actually good!

Last edited:
The moon mansion act 1 have the underwater physics, but besides this problem, the fangame is great for now, good work!

I was playing this in a Discord call and I found multiple problems with this I guess you can call remaster, mainly concerning the bosses and the unnecessary changes you made to them. I couldn't find out how to beat Sugar Splash boss you added due to how vague it was so I had to download a completed save file to see the rest of what you added and needless to say I was not impressed to the point of frustration. It seems like the addictions you made were not made to improve the bosses or make them more enjoyable but only just for the sake of increasing the length of the boss and make it harder than they needed to be. There's too many projectiles on screen to dodge, there's characters and cannons that didn't need to be there (e.g. Silver Sonic and the Mansion boss), and stuff like the lava reef boss being added breaks the story that ATS was trying to tell (a prequel to Sonic 3).
From what someone told me you wanted to make the bosses last "30 minutes" because "this is not Sonic Forces" and that I have to heavily disagree with this mindset. ATS may be only 2 hours but that's the case with most 2D platformers that aren't metroidvanias.
It was a case of quality over quantity and replay ability is what many older games were sold on including Classic Sonic. They didn't need multiple phases for bosses or a bunch of stuff that's incredibly hard to dodge to be fun, hence the multiple paths in stages and the many ways you can traverse in the stages. This isn't a RPG game with turn based combat, this is a Sonic game. The only reason Forces was so short was because of Sonic Team being incompetent and heavily relying on scripted sections like it was an action movie. I could only beat the boss in the ice section that was only because you didn't change the second phase of the boss (thank goodness), the rest I got heavily frustrated with which in turn made the people watching question "Why would they do this?!"
If your goal was to make an already flawed game with an already flawed "DX" release even worse than it was, then congratulations you made me HATE this game. Length doesn't make a good game, actually well designed stages, mechanics and bosses make a good game and I think this needs a ton of work if this is to actually improve After the Sequel.

tl;dr You George Lucas'd the whole thing up and I'm very mad. Stop throwing random bullets everywhere and don't over complicate things for a Sonic game. You lose! Good day, sir!

I've enjoyed the original, and even the DX version. I would also enjoy this.... except for one thing. The bosses are frustrating in the worst way possible. There is way too much on the screen at one time, making it hell to avoid anything, adding unnecessary entities that did not need to be there, and just completely altering phases for the sake of making them harder and longer. It makes the game a frustrating, tedious chore that I lose interest in, and I'm not alone in thinking this. A 2D Platformer does not require the bosses to be half an hour long, the thing with Sonic is constantly replaying to get better at the stages to do it as quickly as possible as you memorize stage layout and hazard placement.
If the bosses weren't altered in such a wrong manner, this would be the definitive way to play Sonic After the Sequel.

I've enjoyed the original, and even the DX version. I would also enjoy this.... except for one thing. The bosses are frustrating in the worst way possible. There is way too much on the screen at one time, making it hell to avoid anything, adding unnecessary entities that did not need to be there, and just adding completely altering phases for the sake of altering phases. It makes the game a frustrating, tedious chore that I lose interest in, and I'm not alone in thinking this.
If the bosses weren't altered in such a wrong manner, this would be the definitive way to play Sonic After the Sequel.
Did you get stuck on the Sugar Splash boss too? I wasn't even sure what I was supposed to do... I think knock the sugar balls into robotnik but idk

Did you get stuck on the Sugar Splash boss too? I wasn't even sure what I was supposed to do... I think knock the sugar balls into robotnik but idk
Yes, I did. I had to do what SunkythePootis above did and download an already complete save file to see what was left of the game.

Hey can you point me into the direction of that save file?... I'm stuck on the Furnace Foilage boss (or w/e) and it's not that it's super hard it's just that the save file starts me at 0 lives and I have to sit through the game over to try again

The Cyan City Phase 1 became easier and overall better, but the hellish Phase 3 is still here.
Yeah he needs to slow down the missiles. You just don't have enough time to get away if you're in range, but he added some slow motion (or was that always in there? I didn't even make it that far)

Yeah he needs to slow down the missiles. You just don't have enough time to get away if you're in range, but he added some slow motion (or was that always in there? I didn't even make it that far)
It was always there. In my opinion, he should just remove the third phase - it's not necessary.

Did you get stuck on the Sugar Splash boss too? I wasn't even sure what I was supposed to do.
I've figured it out. You're supposed to knock the snowballs into Eggman's bumpers and have them bounce to the wheels on the side.
You can thank Sharb for helping me figure that out but even so the game should have telegraphed where the weak spot was.

if you beat the game, you will unlock debug mode. you know the old cheat code in sonic 1 sonic 2 and 3. I try it and it's SUPER COOL

controller support is buggy. for some reason pushing the joystick left makes me go right, pushing it right makes me jump pushing it down makes me go left, etc

controller support is buggy. for some reason pushing the joystick left makes me go right, pushing it right makes me jump pushing it down makes me go left, etc
The same thing happened to me as well. I have no idea why that happens, but it does. I even ran the original just to make sure my controller was normal.

I think Super Sonic is also hindered greatly underwater, Which is an issue, Not to mention some walls that you could manage with running before, like in Sugar splash when on a sugar rush don't work right.

Item information

Added by
Mishaworld
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
3.20 star(s) 10 ratings

Downloads

More in SAGE 2019 [Archive]

Share this item