don't click here

Sonic Mania: Colorful Encore 2.0

Project Overview

[UPDATE 9/3]
- Post-SAGE edition released with some bugfixes and tweaks, including the Super music not playing by default.

==============
The Project:
==============

Colorful Encore 2.0 is an enhancement project for Sonic Mania Plus focused on reimaginated or revamped palettes for Encore Mode. Some of them were reworked from scratch with original themes, others are enhanced versions of the originals. It also improves some sprites and other visual assets. You will need the Mania Mod Loader Plus or the Data Folder method to play it.

Screenshots and media!

===================
Green Hill Zone:

===================

Wake up, drink some coffee, change the music to vaporwave.
I tried to highlight Green Hill as a lost paradise, with sun reflecting on water and strong colors under the sunset.

---

===================
Chemical Plant:

===================

Chemical Plant with some nightlife! Despite being at night, I gave it a more bright and energetic palette compared to the original. In act 2, the palette gives a kinda wacky and Sonic CD-ish vibe to the stage.

---

==============
Studiopolis:

==============

After a long process of rebalancement, Act 2 had some colors preserved from the original but also added another ones, with a strong presence of red tones.

---

================
Flying Battery:

================

Flying Battery was completely changed to night in reference to Sonic 3 Complete. It looks more like a desolated place than before imo. Act 2 have some dramatic lighting effects.

---

================
Press Garden:

================

A colder rendition of Press Garden. Now it looks more like an ice stage, with some slighly inspirations from Ice Cap Zone in Act 2

---

=======================
Stardust Speedway:

=======================

Act 1 is a preserved, rendition of the original with improvements on stars and constellations. Act 2 was tweeked for a smoother look with better contrast. Also have a reworked sky background.

---

Bonus Content

==================
Hydrocity Zone:

==================

Ok, listen... Sonic 1 deserves some love right? I'm glad they at least remembered Labyrinth Zone in Encore Mode. However, I tuned-up that brown-ish background with more colors and brightness than before.

---

The Act 2 background also have more hues of orange, yellow and red, making the stage more interesting than the original.

==================
Mirage Saloon:

==================

The OC version have an yellow sky, for a tileset already fulled with yellow tones. I changed the sky to an evening blue and moved the sunset to the horizon\clouds, where it looks a lot better imo. All the other colors in this tileset was also changed using brigther or another tones.

---

There was a long process of rebalancement here. Act 1 changed A LOT from the original, even if doesn't look at first. Act 2 however was entirely preserved. I loved that surreal vibe with strong blues and phosphorescent colors.

==================
Oil Ocean Zone:

==================

Oil Ocean Zone is one of the best Encore palettes imo. It just blends naturally with that blue sky, so I decided to not touch it. On Act 2, I gave more colors to the background, preserving that "smoke" effect the original have.

---

==================
Lava Reef Zone:

==================

This one was very difficult to edit, because most of the animated colors are shared with Mania Mode, which I don't want to touch. For act 1, I reinforced the idea of a hotter area (Encore Mode added that effect of "heat" here) with a lot of red and orange.

---

====================
Metallic Madness:
====================
Being honest, I liked the original Encore Mode palette, but I understand why people can have problems with it. I made a version that tried to absorb the "Bad Future" idea, but being it's own thing at the same time. It's a lot shinier and colorful than before.

---

====================
Titanic Monarch:
====================
The Encore TMZ is not only the last level from Encore Mode, but also for the entire game. I made it hellish and evil with contrasting colors and red-orange hues.

---

For Act 2, I tried something different, aiming for a scarier and twisted vibe. I also changed the background with offscreen assets and neon-like gears.

=================
Phantom Egg:
=================
For the final boss, a new haunting palette inspired by the Phantom Ruby and Egg Reverie; Includes some assets from that zone as well (exclusive to Encore Mode).

---

================
Comparisons:

================

Colorful Encore 2.0 vs Original Palette:

Colorful Encore 2.0 vs Colorful Encore 1.6:
[WIP]

Mania Mode and Sprites:

==================
Reactions: Neon1246

Latest reviews

It's so colorful
Reactions: Neon1246
The original color palette is awful, this is more polished.
Graphics: Considering that a lot of Encore Mode's palette range from pretty good, to outright AWFUL, someone was going to mod it so that It appears more colorful. And Colorful Encore did exactly that. It gave some things more contrast, hue shifted some other things, and some even change the color scheme. The result is something that works, and works wonderfully well. Almost all of the colors seem to pop out more than the original Encore, which is a good theme. I happen to like almost all of the color schemes introduced here. This was pretty to look at, except for Titanic Monarch, what happened here to cause the same color clash from the original Encore appear in a different place and somehow look more jarring (you probably know what i mean)?
Reactions: The Becoming

Comments

I'm loving the new palettes, but apparently applying the mod disables the Super Sonic music. Is there a way to fix that?

I'm loving the new palettes, but apparently applying the mod disables the Super Sonic music. Is there a way to fix that?
I was not aware of this. I will try to fix it.

In the meantime, you can re-enable the Super Sonic music entering this code in the sound test on the level select screen:

06, 02, 01, 04

Item information

Added by
The Becoming
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 3 ratings

Downloads

More in SAGE 2018 [Archive]