don't click here

Cast'N'Blast: SAGE 2020 Demo Version

Cast'n'Blast is a simple game in which you play as blue robed elemental mage Solita. You have three elemental powers at your disposal, and you need to switch between them to use the correct one to deal with a specific monster or risk multiplying them.

It has some NES inspirations, especially with the bite sized level design that scrolls back and forth before you start, although it doesn't try too hard to match any sort of era. Monsters can be dealt with in a large number of ways as you can combo different elemental attributes together to get better results, such as freezing something and tossing it over to mow down another creature. Solita can also meet her maker in a wide variety of violent but tastefully PG deaths, including but not limited to having her head chomped off or being frozen and shattered into a thousand pieces, making Game Overing (which you will be doing a lot) not so stale and frustrating. Although one could argue it comes at the expense of the cutesy aesthetic and a little out of left field.

Overall a lovely experience with a twist that I thought of when I saw the oddly familiar pirahna plant but didn't actually expect. Can highly recommend and will keep an eye on.
Reactions: Kunedon
Simple design coupled with awesome game play mechanics, equals a fun experience that is hard to put down. You took a tried, but true genre, and put a whole new spin on it. I'll be picking up your game again when SAGE is over.
I can see myself getting addicted to this, it's quite simple yet fun. The boss in this demo is fairly understandable yet challenging. It also has quite a charm to it as well. Overall, pretty good!
This is my friend's game! It's really adorable and charming, and pretty straightforward. It's a good arcadey romp in the style of Bubble Bobble or Tumblepop, so if you enjoy that kind of experience you should check this out. Solita is a very cute rabbit, and I look forward to the full release of the game!
K
koksukah
Well, this game is pretty fun and cute. But it has some bugs (Like with those disappearing blocks on 2-6 stage). Also, why are some stages skipping? Is this a bug? Or it should be like that?
Kunedon
Kunedon
The stage progression is expressly designed that way for the demo, as I mainly chose the more straightforward ones for it. I'm also aware of the way the disappearing block behavior affects the player and enemies and am looking into a better way to code it.