don't click here

Favorite version of Sonic?

YB-san

麻宮アテナ行きます〜!
Sep 18, 2017
i love the model used in adventure (adventure 2 is nice too), but most fave would have to be in the OVA. martin burke created a well-suited personality for him. people think sonic in X has the most sass, but they haven't seen the OVA probably :d

somnus

Fake fan
Sep 9, 2017
Design wise, Unleashed, 06 or Lost World/Forces/Runners Sonic.
They're badass lookin'

Character wise, none. I can't stand Sonic as a character. Same with most other Sonic characters.

Reactions: YB-san

P3DR0

Administrator
Apr 26, 2017
Brass Hill Zone, Act 2
Do I even have to say it?

SonicOVA.gif

It's the best one.
I really enjoy his personality and attitude in general (also that British accent that's just :emoji_ok_hand:).
I also love his design. He's a classic Sonic but a bit taller and with shorter spikes.

Not to mention I love the world and the characters in OVA.

Reactions: Tpot and YB-san

pls delete kthnx

Green Hill Zone
Sep 30, 2017
Naoto Oshima's Sonic, by far. It's got the perfect mix of cool and cute, the perfect mix of aloofness, courage, and genuine enthusiasm. I think these two images best exemplify why I like it.

Toei and OVA Sonic are more consistent (some of Oshima's stuff is pretty wonky), but their highs don't reach Oshima Sonic's highs. Honorable mention to Sonic 2 JP manual Sonic, too.

YB-san

麻宮アテナ行きます〜!
Sep 18, 2017
@Dokokashira agreed! love the simplicity, it's like mickey mouse's design in early appearances

@P3DR0 i guess he does have a slight accent lol. i believe the VA was part irish

WhoWhatWhenWhale

The 3D Classic-ist
Oct 18, 2017
USA, East Coast
My favorite Sonic is Mari- wait crap someone already made this joke!

My actual favorite Sonic generally is the way the Japanese portrayed him in the Classic era. Can't go wrong with sticking to the original design that the creator made.
Although if I had to chose between the designs in the 3d games, it'd be dreamcast Sonic (specifically the original SA1 model.) He just sorta seems like he could realistically roll into a ball, sorta keeps the pudgy-ness of Classic Sonic, and is built to look good as a 3d model, unlike the classic design.

Also, this thread really accentuates just how fractured the fanbase is. I sorta wish Sonic wasn't as fundamentally aesthetically pleasing as he is, so that we could be like the mario fanbase, where most other designs besides the main one look terrible and aren't liked by the fandom. Ninty-percent of Sonic designs are at the very least meh to look at, which, since there are a lot of them, means that most are pretty good. Seriously, think of three Sonic designs that you don't like. If I were to say that two out of the three of those you simply don't prefer, but would still say are good, I would 90% of the time be correct in that assumption.

SonicSuperCharged

TeamChroma
Nov 20, 2017
discord.gg
Sonic 3 sprite work Sonic.

He's got a weird cool and edge that isn't really present in any other classic Sonic variation. I think the way he animates gives him lots of personality

Other than that I am a huge fan of Modern Sonic in Unleashed. He doesn't speak a lot in that game and that's what made him better than he is now. It didn't feel like he was trying to be cool it just felt like he was cool.

Last edited:

Misinko

Feel the the fire! Break your vision!
Aug 29, 2017
Other than that I am a huge fan of Modern Sonic in Unleashed. He doesn't speak a lot in that game and that's what made him better than he is now. It didn't feel like he was trying to be cool it just felt like he was cool.
Wat. He spoke in nearly every single cutscene he was in, and he'd hoop and holler every time he'd go to boost. Not to mention every time a stage would start up, he'd loudly proclaim he was ready to go.